Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 224 Valkyrie...newest AR cartridge from Federal

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Spinal Tap comes to mind...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOO5S4vxi0o

Nigel, "Well it's one larger, isn't tit?" "You're on 223 on your gun and you where can you go?" "If we need that push over the cliff we go to 224!"

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Manufacturers will get behind it if they think it will help them sell guns. "Oh, you have a .223? Well, you don't have a .224!"
    Totally yes, they are in business to make money. But somehow few manufacturers thought that 6.5 Grendel would make them profits, and only a couple more thought the same of 6.8 SPC.

I'm not invested in this and I'm sitting on the fence for a while, but it continues to look interesting to me as a truly long-range, relatively economical cartridge for target (paper or steel) shooting. It appears that it would easily outperform my .308 Win target setup for F-class at 600 yards, or even 1000 yards, in terms of having less drop and drift, and roughly half as much recoil.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    Totally yes, they are in business to make money. But somehow few manufacturers thought that 6.5 Grendel would make them profits, and only a couple more thought the same of 6.8 SPC.

I'm not invested in this and I'm sitting on the fence for a while, but it continues to look interesting to me as a truly long-range, relatively economical cartridge for target (paper or steel) shooting. It appears that it would easily outperform my .308 Win target setup for F-class at 600 yards, or even 1000 yards, in terms of having less drop and drift, and roughly half as much recoil.
    I’m sure there are probably licensing issues that weren’t working to the Grendel or SPC’s advantage. See .300 blackout vs .300 Whisper. See also Keymod vs MLok.

There’s also the fact that the 6.5/6.8 came out before a lot of companies got on the Black Rifle Bandwagon.

Feedback Score
    My guess is that when this becomes popular, the PRS/LR competitions will add something to make shooting heavier rounds more advantageous and we back up the power rating to 300WM or 6.5PRS.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    https://theeverydaysniper.podbean.co...co-club-match/

It was funny. I was listening to the podcast and when they started the interview, I was like- Hey, I know that voice... Brian was down at PWSA before a deployment and he took pity on some of us shooting steel challenge and worked with us a little bit. Frank even comments about his voice. Nice guy.

Wow, Frank is sending his 6.5 AR10rifle back to JP and he is getting a 224 rifle back from JP. That says something.

2500 round barrel life with the medium contour and the heat dissipator.
    Listened to the SHOT podcast today. Frank said he bought 2 Valkyries, the JP and a bolt from Ashbury. The PRS folks think it's real.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post

Factory ammo is key for me, I don't need the hobby of reloading. That said, it would be interesting to see how those solid bullets from Warner would do in a cartridge like this.
    https://ammoseek.com/ammo/224-valkyrie
    Rascal

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 09stanggt View Post
    Listened to the SHOT podcast today. Frank said he bought 2 Valkyries, the JP and a bolt from Ashbury. The PRS folks think it's real.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    To Frank, the 224V IS a full size round

I wonder if the 224V will put the damper on more commercial 6CM ammo coming to market. There are a lot of 6.5CM manufacturers and Federal seems to be going full in on the 224V. The 6CM is a great round, but maybe it stays as a reloaded mainly round.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    I've been shooting and into accurate firearms for over 30 years, and I've never seen any other caliber adopted as fast or as widely as this one! I can't even keep up with all of the firearm makers that have either announced or already started making AR15s chambered in this round! They include: LWRC, LMT, Larue Tactical, Remington, CCMG, JP Enterprises, Savage, Rainier Arms, Mossberg, Barrett, Palmetto State Armory, ... and the list goes on!
    Last edited by Snipe315; 02-12-18 at 23:12.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    If they do it right and dont screw up the chambering, unlike that SPC and SPC II chambering BS, and if they actually have factory ammo easily available unlike 6.5G when it came out. Good case capacity with room for long ogive bullets, we should have a winner. 6.8 and 6.5 could never have combine the two as well.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 02-13-18 at 03:53.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Snipe315 View Post
    I've been shooting and into accurate firearms for over 30 years, and I've never seen any other caliber adopted as fast or as widely as this one! I can't even keep up with all of the firearm makers that have either announced or already started making AR15s chambered in this round! They include: LWRC, LMT, Larue Tactical, Remington, CCMG, JP Enterprises, Savage, Rainier Arms, Mossberg, Barrett, Palmetto State Armory, ... and the list goes on!
    It's this years .300 Blackout. Is this the new method to keep selling ARs? Just introduce a new "must have" caliber per year, lol.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast