Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: FN SPR A3G

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    With regard to the SD/ES. I understand that several things can affect ES, including the following:

1) Variable neck tension
    2) Priming
    3) Variations in powder charges (at the .00 level)

Of these, I suspect 1) is probably the culprit, since these loads have all been put up in once-fired brass from several different guns that I full-length resized and prepped. I'm going to try the same load only neck-sizing the brass that has been freshly fired through THIS gun first and see what that does to the ES.

I'll try different primers next. I found some indications that a Magnum match primer might help lower the ES, so I'm going to take a stab at that if I don't get anywhere with the neck tension issue.

As far as the charges go, I'm going to contact PACT and see if the unit can be modified to read to the .00 level.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have one last sugestion you may try. Lapua or nosler brass. My groups in my 300 win were about on par with yours and I switched from win to nosler brass and they tightned up. I belive the brass is more consistant. I dont sort brass or bullets or check run out or tension just buy the best componets.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    I have one last sugestion you may try. Lapua or nosler brass. My groups in my 300 win were about on par with yours and I switched from win to nosler brass and they tightned up. I belive the brass is more consistant. I dont sort brass or bullets or check run out or tension just buy the best componets.
    I may just do that. Are you doing any case prep on the Lapua at all?

Feedback Score
    It's widely known that lapua brass will produce the best results in most loadings.

No prep is required at all on lapua. Load it, shoot it. Guys do this and win benchrest matches.

You'll be looking at re-working your load if you do this. Less space in lapua, so it won't take as much powder to get where you're going.

Unless you have an annealer, forget about the neck tension side of it. FL sizing is more than capable of producing outstanding results. I also wouldn't see a need to go with a magnum primer. You could run into more issues there.

Switch to lapua and work a new load.

Now, before you go and do all this, there is something I must point out. Just because you have a velocity variation, does not mean you will also invariably have POI variation at range. This is what tuning a load to a rifle does for us. By timing the load to the barrel harmonics, you are ensuring the bullet will exit the barrel at a predetermined moment. If the velocity is off, the harmonic wave will take care of that to some degree. I've had loads with as much as 75fps ES produce groups of less than 6" at 1000yds. The above explanation is the only one I could come up with to explain it.

I'd encourage you to shoot it at distance, before hitting the reloading bench some more. As you said, there comes a point when you just need to shoot. I shoot winchester brass. Not because its the best, but because I don't cry when I lose some, and I can afford to have several thousand loaded up and ready to go at all times.
    Last edited by orkan; 05-30-12 at 12:22.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by orkan View Post
    It's widely known that lapua brass will produce the best results in most loadings.

No prep is required at all on lapua. Load it, shoot it. Guys do this and win benchrest matches.

You'll be looking at re-working your load if you do this. Less space in lapua, so it won't take as much powder to get where you're going.

Unless you have an annealer, forget about the neck tension side of it. FL sizing is more than capable of producing outstanding results. I also wouldn't see a need to go with a magnum primer. You could run into more issues there.

Switch to lapua and work a new load.

Now, before you go and do all this, there is something I must point out. Just because you have a velocity variation, does not mean you will also invariably have POI variation at range. This is what tuning a load to a rifle does for us. By timing the load to the barrel harmonics, you are ensuring the bullet will exit the barrel at a predetermined moment. If the velocity is off, the harmonic wave will take care of that to some degree. I've had loads with as much as 75fps ES produce groups of less than 6" at 1000yds. The above explanation is the only one I could come up with to explain it.

I'd encourage you to shoot it at distance, before hitting the reloading bench some more. As you said, there comes a point when you just need to shoot. I shoot winchester brass. Not because its the best, but because I don't cry when I lose some, and I can afford to have several thousand loaded up and ready to go at all times.
    That actually does make a bit of sense, and is worth trying since I have thousands of once-fired Federal Match cases. I'll load up more of this existing load and take it out to 600 this weekend.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    I may just do that. Are you doing any case prep on the Lapua at all?
    I personaly do I prep all my brass even new brass.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    I personaly do I prep all my brass even new brass.
    I prep new winchester... but why would you prep new lapua? If benchresters can win with it by loading it out of the box... there is likely nothing I'll be able to do to it that will make it any better.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by orkan View Post
    I prep new winchester... but why would you prep new lapua? If benchresters can win with it by loading it out of the box... there is likely nothing I'll be able to do to it that will make it any better.
    Well thats why I made it personal. I air on the side of caution I prep everything

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'd like to get 10 new Lapua cases from somewhere and test the theory before I spend a shitload of money on them. Anyone got 10 new ones they'd hook a brother up with?

Feedback Score
    Pm your addy and I'll send em on.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast