Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Long gun or no long gun for 30 day, out of state trip?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Though it's exceedingly unlikely you'll even need to present a firearm, much less have to use it, I would still recommend bringing a carbine. I always pack a long gun with half a dozen magazines on any overnight trips away from home. Habit, probably.

Better to have and not need vs the alternative, as the saying goes...
    This.

It's amazing how inconspicuous a tennis racket bag, baseball bat bag, etc. can be.

Quote Originally Posted by telecustom View Post
    All of them
    This is greatness.
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 02-21-19 at 03:33.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    It's amazing how inconspicuous a tennis racket bag, baseball bat bag, etc. can be.
    I love the idea of the bat bag over all of them. There is zero market in pawn shops for baseball equipment and it really is the most inconspicuous.

Guitar cases/golf bags/etc...while they don’t scream “GUN!” Definitely scream “steal me!” As do lots of “discrete” bailout bags that can hold a broken down carbine or that have molle on them. Better than a pelican, but far from “I bet whatever is in that bag stinks and might give me a staph infection” which is what I’m looking for when I haul guns around this country.

I nearly had my life ruined when some piece of shit stole $30,000 worth of camera gear out of my vehicle at one in the afternoon during a stop when I was away from my vehicle for literally six minutes in a parking lot with security cameras. I made a conscious decision to either never leave anything I care about, have it truly locked up, or make it look so unappealing that they don’t even give it a second glance.

I still haven’t been able to replace all of the equipment because like an idiot I hadn’t insured it well enough, and of course I have heard exactly zero from the police other than when I made the report.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Quijote View Post
    So there's the paranoia of going nowhere unless you are equipped to assault a fortified position, and then there's this kind of paranoia.
    Naw...It's an acknowledgement of my assessment that potential interactions with police present a much greater risk to my health and well being than "criminals" do.

You live your life, I'll live mine.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thopkins22 View Post
    I love the idea of the bat bag over all of them. There is zero market in pawn shops for baseball equipment and it really is the most inconspicuous.

Guitar cases/golf bags/etc...while they don’t scream “GUN!” Definitely scream “steal me!” As do lots of “discrete” bailout bags that can hold a broken down carbine or that have molle on them. Better than a pelican, but far from “I bet whatever is in that bag stinks and might give me a staph infection” which is what I’m looking for when I haul guns around this country.

I nearly had my life ruined when some piece of shit stole $30,000 worth of camera gear out of my vehicle at one in the afternoon during a stop when I was away from my vehicle for literally six minutes in a parking lot with security cameras. I made a conscious decision to either never leave anything I care about, have it truly locked up, or make it look so unappealing that they don’t even give it a second glance.

I still haven’t been able to replace all of the equipment because like an idiot I hadn’t insured it well enough, and of course I have heard exactly zero from the police other than when I made the report.
    In my travels the best discreet camouflage bag for vehicles I've come across are those rectangle volleyball/badminton bags. These usually have one side with a clear plastic sleeve with a color cardboard insert depicting a staged family in a picturesque park playing whatever game. They have a zipper opening and can old a lot and still retain their rectangle shape. Not to many people would go out of their way to commit a BMV just to steal a volleyball/badminton set especially if you score a used one that is dinged up and dirty.

Sorry to hear about your equipment, IIRC you are a photo journalist so you put food on the table with your gear. I hate ****ing thieves. It's one of the few areas where I'm on board with Sharia law.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Quijote View Post
    That's some tackleberry stuff right there
    I just don’t want to show up at the gates of Heaven with some excuse that after thousands of hours of training I didn’t bother to take a gun when I really needed one.
    YMMV

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    In my travels the best discreet camouflage bag for vehicles I've come across are those rectangle volleyball/badminton bags. These usually have one side with a clear plastic sleeve with a color cardboard insert depicting a staged family in a picturesque park playing whatever game. They have a zipper opening and can old a lot and still retain their rectangle shape. Not to many people would go out of their way to commit a BMV just to steal a volleyball/badminton set especially if you score a used one that is dinged up and dirty.

Sorry to hear about your equipment, IIRC you are a photo journalist so you put food on the table with your gear. I hate ****ing thieves. It's one of the few areas where I'm on board with Sharia law.
    That’s a great idea as well. Any old large zippered bag designed for something that no pawnshop wants would probably be decent.

Yeah it has been a rough recovery because as you said I use the equipment to pay my bills.

I would genuinely preferred to be assaulted than to have someone rob me like that again. It’s not just stuff, it’s my ability to feed myself and to keep a roof over my head. Learned a lot of lessons, and I’ll be better off for it I guess.

Feedback Score
    If I am going very far or staying very long I always pack a rifle or shotgun if I am pretty sure that I can keep it secure.

Now days its usually my 870 with a military mechanic bag full of shells. I have slugs and buckshot available and wont be out as much money if stolen. We have a local Police Supply store that very often has Police Magnum turn ins that are in good shape for around $200.

Also the way my truck is set up it is easier to hide the shotgun because of the slimmer profile.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sport, music, and tool bags are low-pro if they are a norm for the environment you're going to and you look like someone that uses them. Otherwise, a basic travel duffle, backpack, or garment bag goes most places.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thopkins22 View Post
    I would genuinely preferred to be assaulted than to have someone rob me like that again.
    Not me, not when family is involved.

We've done 5000 mile multi week road trips. Remote locations and big cities. I'm going to have more than a pistol when I'm that far from home. Cheap insurance. And not an increased theft target the way I do it.

This is not a fantasy, just pragmatic thinking.

Feedback Score
    Necropost! For me: I have never brought anything larger than a G19 with 3 mags and an extra 50rnd box of HSTs with me, when gone for a week. Never been away for 30days.

If some crazy nonsense goes down, I’ll blend in, sneak through and get outta there, not stand my (temporary) ground with a carbine. I’ll get home ASAP.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast