Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Medical Cannabis Discussion

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    Why anybody gives a **** if anyone else smokes weed is beyond me.

Freedumb.
    Zactly.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Marijuana extract can help curb psychosis, study says

Aug. 29 (UPI) -- The chemical cannabidiol, or CBD, an extract derived from cannabis, appears to reduce psychotic symptoms by reducing brain function abnormalities, according to a new study.

King's College London researchers found for the first time that one dose of CBD, which is the non-intoxicating compound in marijuana, acts in the brain to reduce psychotic symptoms. The findings were published Wednesday in the Journal of the American Medical Association Psychiatry.

"There is an urgent need for a safe treatment for young people at risk of psychosis," Dr. Sagnik Bhattacharyya, a researcher at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience at King's College, said in a press release. "One of the main advantages of cannabidiol is that it is safe and seems to be very well tolerated, making it in some ways an ideal treatment."

Cont:

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2018...5371535560101/

Source study: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2697762
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    I found out the hard way that not all medicines react the same way in different people. I had a triple bypass and was given opioids for pain management. I went back to work and had pain so I used my meds, then more, and more. I did not notice a high I just noticed the pain was not subsiding and I was constipated. After a week I called the nurse and she quizzed me about my med use and I told her. She said I should try Tylenol and drastically slow the Opioids. I quit the Opioids right then, the Tylenol worked pretty good, I could finally go to the can. The quality of work I was doing was just terrible. This was the first chink in my adamant anti marijuana attitude. I realized what was supposed to work for me did not.
    I live in Oregon and you can buy pot for recreational use for a couple of years, still it is against FEDERAL Law and that means a lot on those applications for buying firearms. That is not likely to change anytime soon
    I also recall a friend who, as the result simple accident was drug tested. He was a little worried that the serval beers he had the night before might show up. They did not but the THC did. He had shared one marijuana cigarette with his Ex, trying to reconnect. That connection did not work out, but even though it had been three weeks that half of a Reefer (I guess that is the term) cost him a job there and everywhere else (He was a pilot) All I know is THC lasts a long time.
    I don't intend to use it...ever. I try a dozen other meds first, then another dozen.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandaz3 View Post
    I found out the hard way that not all medicines react the same way in different people. I had a triple bypass and was given opioids for pain management. I went back to work and had pain so I used my meds, then more, and more. I did not notice a high I just noticed the pain was not subsiding and I was constipated. After a week I called the nurse and she quizzed me about my med use and I told her. She said I should try Tylenol and drastically slow the Opioids. I quit the Opioids right then, the Tylenol worked pretty good, I could finally go to the can. The quality of work I was doing was just terrible. This was the first chink in my adamant anti marijuana attitude. I realized what was supposed to work for me did not.
    I live in Oregon and you can buy pot for recreational use for a couple of years, still it is against FEDERAL Law and that means a lot on those applications for buying firearms. That is not likely to change anytime soon
    I also recall a friend who, as the result simple accident was drug tested. He was a little worried that the serval beers he had the night before might show up. They did not but the THC did. He had shared one marijuana cigarette with his Ex, trying to reconnect. That connection did not work out, but even though it had been three weeks that half of a Reefer (I guess that is the term) cost him a job there and everywhere else (He was a pilot) All I know is THC lasts a long time.
    I don't intend to use it...ever. I try a dozen other meds first, then another dozen.
    Pot and opioids are not the same thing. Like comparing alcohol to methamphetamine. My dad takes a dozen different meds, then another dozen because some meds give life threatening side effects and other meds counter it but have their own side effects...etc... And thanks to the legal meds he's a 65 year old man in a 90 year old man's body. One he takes cannot be stopped suddenly because the body becomes used to it and stopping causes withdraw symptoms and the drug itself is poison. But because it's prescribed it must be ok

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Pot and opioids are not the same thing. Like comparing alcohol to methamphetamine. My dad takes a dozen different meds, then another dozen because some meds give life threatening side effects and other meds counter it but have their own side effects...etc... And thanks to the legal meds he's a 65 year old man in a 90 year old man's body. One he takes cannot be stopped suddenly because the body becomes used to it and stopping causes withdraw symptoms and the drug itself is poison. But because it's prescribed it must be ok

Jeez...that’s bizarre. If true, there are a LOT of questions that your dad should have asked or should now be asking his doctors. Two dozen medications, half of which are to counter the other half....I can’t even begin to understand how anyone could end up in such a situation. And then being prescribed a poison that he can’t stop...yikes. That all sounds to me like malpractice.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Jeez...that’s bizarre. If true, there are a LOT of questions that your dad should have asked or should now be asking his doctors. Two dozen medications, half of which are to counter the other half....I can’t even begin to understand how anyone could end up in such a situation. And then being prescribed a poison that he can’t stop...yikes. That all sounds to me like malpractice.
    It's not exactly two dozen, I was exaggerating however it is a lot. I don't know how many but I wouldn't doubt if there were 6 or so different meds. Heart, cholesterol, blood pressure, blood thinners, water, panic, asthma .. I'm probably forgetting something as well. Has had one stent put in and a pace maker. He does go to the doctor but some meds don't work or had other side effects. Other meds like for panic attack are extremely bad and cause issues with liver, heart, blood disorders, poor breathing, and dependency. He's been on it so long his doctor is worried he wouldn't survive the withdrawal. And it should never have been prescribed but was done so by another doctor

He was taking cholesterol meds but they were either not as effective as hoped or gave him some reaction. So now he's on a different one that's recently been approved by the FDA. It's a once a month injection that he has to inject into his stomach.

And in general I think that pot would have helped a lot better with panic attack then the pills he's dependent on now.

Last edited by Arik; 09-09-18 at 09:38.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    It's not exactly two dozen, I was exaggerating however it is a lot. I don't know how many but I wouldn't doubt if there were 6 or so different meds. Heart, cholesterol, blood pressure, water, panic, asthma .. I'm probably forgetting something as well. He does go to the doctor but some meds don't work or had other side effects. Other meds like for panic attack are extremely bad and cause issues with liver, heart, blood disorders, poor breathing, and dependency. He's been on it so long his doctor is worried he wouldn't survive the withdrawal. And it should never have been prescribed but was done so by another doctor

My paradigm for treating medical problems revolves around sharp instruments, not medication. The only meds I generally prescribe are medications for acute pain and medications to address acid reflux. I don't think I've ever written a prescription for blood pressure medication, for example, in my entire career.

From my perspective, polypharmacy is a problem that many medical doctors cause, but I don't judge, just as their judgement of surgical treatment would be inappropriate based on their lack of understanding of Surgery. Having said that, it's generally been my observation is that it's relatively uncommon that families fully understanding their loved ones' medical treatments, especially when they aren't actively participating in that person's care. It's possible that your dad's doctor is incompetent, but it's not the first conclusion I would draw.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandaz3 View Post
    MM reduces use of opioids, and if the fed schedule was changed, most issues you mention would be moot. Your friend the pilot should know better as, like all pilots, getrs tested for a wide range of drugs that may negative impact their ability to do the job. You need to do more research, and this thread supplies it in spades. Tylenol? #1 Cause of Acute Liver Failure:

https://www.medpagetoday.com/psychiatry/depression/2233

Don't confuse medical use for recreational use.

Only legit point you made was RE, fire arms issues. Again, change in fed schedule is what's needed to change that.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 09-10-18 at 11:06.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    My paradigm for treating medical problems revolves around sharp instruments, not medication. The only meds I generally prescribe are medications for acute pain and medications to address acid reflux. I don't think I've ever written a prescription for blood pressure medication, for example, in my entire career.

From my perspective, polypharmacy is a problem that many medical doctors cause, but I don't judge, just as their judgement of surgical treatment would be inappropriate based on their lack of understanding of Surgery. Having said that, it's generally been my observation is that it's relatively uncommon that families fully understanding their loved ones' medical treatments, especially when they aren't actively participating in that person's care. It's possible that your dad's doctor is incompetent, but it's not the first conclusion I would draw.
    Acid reflux? You're my new doc!

There's some hereditary problems. His dad had high BP, my uncle has high BP, but it's better managed. Cholesterol also runs in the family. I keep up on both. My last blood test showed elevated cholesterol so now I'm doing everything possible to naturally lower it.

I wouldn't doubt if his doc was incompetent. I'm not saying that's the case but if it turned out to be true I wouldn't be surprised. The other problem is my dad. He's his own worst enemy. He refused to take his health into his own hands and do something about it when there was time to do so. Instead, he just wants to pop a pill and hope it magically fixes everything. And it's impossible to talk him out of it. I think a lot of that has to do with the way medical field works today.

A part of me is afraid I'll turn into my dad so I try to avoid medication unless absolutely mandatory. I don't want cholesterol meds, I'd rather do it naturally while there's still time to do so

Last edited by Arik; 09-09-18 at 10:11.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    MM reduces use of opioids, and if the fed schedule was changed, most issues you mention would be moot. Your friend the pilot should know better as, like all pilots, getrs tested for a wide range of drugs that may degativelt impact their ability to do the job. You need to do more research, and this thread supplies it in spades. Tylenol? #1 Cause of Acute Liver Failure:

https://www.medpagetoday.com/psychiatry/depression/2233

Don't confuse medical use for recreational use.

Only legit point you made was RE, fire arms issues. Again, change in fed schedule is what's needed to change that.

Well a lot has happened since 1980 when the pilot had his problem, so while he knew he would be tested he thought THC would be gone in three or four days, not three or four weeks, so I think the long lasting effects of THC are very pertinent.

I think you are on a agenda to find the path you want and you don't want to entertain something that doesn't fit in.

I'm not a researcher, I don't care, but if asked to vote on changing the Federal schedule of drugs, it would be no.

Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast