Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: 600 yard steel shooting with 5.56 - 9/2/2017 - Sub MOA @ 1000 (lol but for real)

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallDodge View Post
    FYI, 23.4 8208 behind a 77 is above the max listed load of 23.2 on Hodgdon's website. That being said, my experience is that 8208 works best near or exceeding max loads and that is where I run it.

I have played with the TMK and didn't find that it was worth the extra money spent. If I were shooting at a competition level, where 1/8th MOA would make a difference, then maybe that would be the bullet of choice.

Nosler is introducing a 77 RDF which hopefully will shoot well in an AR chamber. The 70 RDF shoots great in one of my 223 bolt guns, where I can seat the bullet into the lands, but I think the ogive is too sharp for the long jump to the throat required of an AR.
    I’ve had good success with that load as well. Good to know about the TMK. I’ll probably order a few just to try. Thanks

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Shot this out at 300 and 600 today to get some dope confirms for next weeks match.

My first group was before the mirage got really bad. I even impressed myself. It was around 0.5 MOA or a hair under. I love the budget rifle brands that guarantee sub MOA. I’ve yet to see any ARs with 16” budget barrels perform like this as the distance stretches out.

From there the mirage got bad. Opened up the group a little up and down as it was blowing up. Winds were about 6mph from 4:00.

Pic of the mirage. The blurriness is not a focus issue.

Link to a video of the mirage
    https://i.imgur.com/oE19t4R.mp4

At 600 it was even worse. I scored a few hits on 5” swingers but the sun was in front of the gongs and made them very hard to see. White gongs on white sand backgrounds with lots of mirage. I usually shoot early AM and this was about 3pm with temps in the 90s. It was a good learning experience.

Feedback Score
    Is this a 77 gr TMK Load?

I’ve tried the 69 trainers and wasn’t that impressed. I did better with the Nosler RDFs.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    Is this a 77 gr TMK Load?

I’ve tried the 69 trainers and wasn’t that impressed. I did better with the Nosler RDFs.
    The load I’m running is posted in this thread.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...in-Sierra-TMKs

I’ve heard folks saying the TMKs aren’t as accurate for them as SMKs or even the Noslers but they’re usually referring to the 69gr stuff. The TMKS have been great for me, but I am mainly running them to max out distance and stay supersonic as long as possible. I have a match this weekend with a 1,400 yard shot.

By my math I’m still 10 minutes short if I max out my turret and reticle - I fully expect a $0.59 splash in the grass but the TMKs let me do pretty well up to about 1,050. I’ve shot a sub MOA 3 shot group, on target, one time, hah.

Feedback Score
    That’s what I was looking at them for. Based on your results I’m going to give the 77s a try and see what I can push them to.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Euro... you still running the SHV 4-14? I cant tell from the pic above. Been good to you?

Im wanting to upgrade the optic on my precision AR and it's a contender.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Euro... you still running the SHV 4-14? I cant tell from the pic above. Been good to you?

Im wanting to upgrade the optic on my precision AR and it's a contender.
    It’s the SHV F1 with MOAR reticle. And, Yes. Very good. Of course I wish I went mil/mil now, but it’s been on the rifle since day one without issue.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Took this to a PRS match and a very long range...range. After the match the furthest I was able to hit a target was roughly 1250 yards which just about maxes out the reticle and turrets. I was holding 8 minutes of wind. (That’s 1,000 inches!) a Horus reticle would’ve been good.

The #1 thing I learned was that I need to get a real caliber for that kind of work. 600 is no problem but 850 in strong wind is ridiculous. So I’m shopping for a 6.5CM.

The #2 thing I learned is that the days of MOA are over. Everyone spots in mils. Shares wind calls in mils. Shares dopes in mils. If you want to make it easier you should convert - I am

Coyotes and Pigs from 300-800

400yds standing

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Took this to a PRS match and a very long range...range. After the match the furthest I was able to hit a target was roughly 1250 yards which just about maxes out the reticle and turrets. I was holding 8 minutes of wind. (That’s 1,000 inches!) a Horus reticle would’ve been good.

The #1 thing I learned was that I need to get a real caliber for that kind of work. 600 is no problem but 850 in strong wind is ridiculous. So I’m shopping for a 6.5CM.

The #2 thing I learned is that the days of MOA are over. Everyone spots in mils. Shares wind calls in mils. Shares dopes in mils. If you want to make it easier you should convert - I am
    The Horus is a little too busy for my tastes, I like something like the Bushnell HDMR2 reticle which is a little more coarse.

1250 is loooong way. I have not been able to get my 77 Nosler CC load to reach out that far, 1100 is about the max before it starts dropping like a rock. Must be the little extra BC of the TMK and some nice shooting

The 6.5CM will get you out that far a lot easier.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    In my own personal quest to reach Euro like greatness, or at least as close as I can... he sets a pretty high bar.

I tried making my first hits out past 100 yards yesterday.

I was aiming at a 24" gong and was told it was 480yrds. Out of 10 shots I was only able to hit it 4 (we think) times. The guy spotting for me had some 10x binoculars and said he could not tell on a few shots.

Equipment used:
    Primary Arms 1-6 with ACSS in an Areo SPR mount.
    LaRue Ultimate Upper kit with 16" Stealth Barrel, finished off with Centurion lower.
    Sig Saur 77gr .233 in a Magpul Pmag.

What I was doing:
    I was sitting on one of the range benches using one of the wooden blocks they provide (they are wrapped in a very old and worn carpet). Handguard was resting on the wooden block and the stock was supported by my sholder. I realize this is not the most the most stable of shooting positions...

Being 480 yards I started trying to hold over at 500. I ended up having hold the markings for 700 at the center of the target.

Questions:
    1) What is the next logical step for me to create a better/more stable shooting platform? I was thinking a bipod and some kind of bag to help support the stock. Should I not sit at the bench and just lay prone, perhaps with a mat? I've read of shooting mats that use a bar or other means at the front edge that help to support the legs of the bipod.

2) Why did I have to hold over so much? Is this because the ACSS is not designed to work with the ammo I was using? Or is may 100 yard zero off and this is causing me to be way off at greater distance?

3) Any suggestions, or things I may be doing to make this harder than it should be?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast