Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Mk318 vs 5.56 75gr TAP

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    i have read this whole thread and i cant find any answer to the op's question. how much are you giving up when using mk318 in unobstructed shots in comparison to 75g tap?`i like the idea of mk318 but doesn't 31 grains of fragmentation along with 31grains if caliber size penetration sound like mk318 is spreading itself a little thin? is it trying to do too much at once for only 62 grains?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenndapp View Post
    i have read this whole thread and i cant find any answer to the op's question. how much are you giving up when using mk318 in unobstructed shots in comparison to 75g tap?`i like the idea of mk318 but doesn't 31 grains of fragmentation along with 31grains if caliber size penetration sound like mk318 is spreading itself a little thin? is it trying to do too much at once for only 62 grains?
    Do you mean 13 grains?
    As in: 13 grains of difference between 62 gr and 75 gr?

Anyway, the 50 gr TSX does a very good job, despite the fact that it's 12 grains lighter than the Mk318.
    Don't get too wrapped up in the weight of the bullet.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Do you mean 13 grains?
    As in: 13 grains of difference between 62 gr and 75 gr?

Anyway, the 50 gr TSX does a very good job, despite the fact that it's 12 grains lighter than the Mk318.
    Don't get too wrapped up in the weight of the bullet.
    I think you misunderstood, with all due respect.

OP that you quoted was referencing the retained weight of the projectile, which appears to be 31-33gr and consists of the solid copper shank.

OP: No that is not "spreading it thin". A .22LR that does not deform will penetrate a good 12" or so. This MK318 round fragments violently in the first 1-12" of target, and the base is what remains. When it hits a windshield, the base is sure to go through. It will then in all likelyhood penetrate a MINIMUM of what a .22LR would, considering it weighs about the same and is about the same diameter and I highly doubt it's energy has dropped from over 1000# to under the 150# common for a .22LR.

That 30gr solid copper wad-cutter is going to penetrate.

Will it do as well as a larger diameter projectile? No. But if you hit them in the head/chest, it's going to ruin a day VERY fast. Think of it as taking a .22LR to the chest.

What are your alternatives? M855 or TAP or MK262? You will get a snow-storm past the barrier none of which is likely to penetrate 12-14".
    The only alternative better is a bonded bullet, but then you give up that fragmentation, which in the MK318 is pretty nasty. Think of a 30gr Barnes Varmint Grenade at close range...that still has a component that penetrates 12+".

Yeah, a 6.8 or .308 could pull it off better, but it's not a pipe-dream, from what I understand, it does perform as advertised.
    Last edited by WS6; 11-02-11 at 23:42.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yes...that is exactly what was talking about. I also wanted to get a more clear understanding on the difference in terminal effect between mk318 and 75 grain tap in unobstructed shots. I am thinking about switching my go to ammo to mk318 due to availablity and affordability as well as its its ability to perform in most every situation. It seems like a good do it all round. I'm just leery about giving up that phenomenal terminal effect 75 tap demonstrates against soft targets. Further more I think the velocity needed for mk318 to perform is a little lower than a 75g otm thus giving more effective range.
    Last edited by kenndapp; 11-03-11 at 01:44.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Yes...that is exactly what was talking about. I also wanted to get a more clear understanding on the difference in terminal effect between mk318 and 75 grain tap in unobstructed shots. I am thinking about switching my go to ammo to mk318 due to availablity and affordability as well as its its ability to perform in most every situation. It seems like a good do it all round.
    From what I can gather...

Tap T2 will turn into a lead snow-storm starting about 2-3" in, and extending 12-14" into the target. Take into consideration that this is per gel-testing, and that clothing worn as well as the thick skin of the back (equivalent to roughly 4" of gel) will probably result in the vast majority of the projectile remaining within the target.

MK318 will do the same, starting at about 1", and continue in full force to about 7-9", and then the copper 31-33gr shank will continue onward and most likely exit.

On glass, etc. T2 will fragment heavily and pepper whatever is behind the barrier with small lead/copper shards. MK318 will do the same thing except for the copper shank, which will deviate minimally, and penetrate into and possibly exit the target.
    Last edited by WS6; 11-03-11 at 01:12.

Feedback Score
    On unobstructed shots, the 75 gr OTM and Mk318 Mod0 will generally offer similar tissue disruption, however the base of the SOST round will likely exit the suspect while the 75 gr OTM does not.

While the Mk318 is a great round for military personnel, there are a lot of better options for LE and civilians, as listed in the second paragraph here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19881

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    On unobstructed shots, the 75 gr OTM and Mk318 Mod0 will generally offer similar tissue disruption, however the base of the SOST round will likely exit the suspect while the 75 gr OTM does not.

While the Mk318 is a great round for military personnel, there are a lot of better options for LE and civilians, as listed in the second paragraph here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19881

So would you consider mk318 to be a better round than 75g tap in most circumstances? And would you choose mk318 over 75g tap with out knowing what the situation called for? I know mk318 may not be the best choice for civies and le but giving the prices of other top performers, mk318 seems to be the best bang for the buck. That and the consistent availability make it extremely apealing. From what I gather, it works, and if you do your job then so will it. It may not be as proven as other options but I am warming up to it. Would I bet my life on it? I don't know yet. Is there a reason not to?
    Last edited by kenndapp; 11-03-11 at 03:02.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    So would you consider mk318 to be a better round than 75g tap in most circumstances? And would you choose mk318 over 75g tap with out knowing what the situation called for? I know mk318 may not be the best choice for civies and le but giving the prices of other top performers, mk318 seems to be the best bang for the buck. That and the consistent availability make it extremely apealing. From what I gather, it works, and if you do your job then so will it. It may not be as proven as other options but I am warming up to it. Would I bet my life on it? I don't know yet. Is there a reason not to?
    Dr. Roberts has stated elsewhere that if he had only one round to load up with and he could not pick a bonded or monolithic round like the TOTM, and he was being dropped off in the sand-box, MK318 would be it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Dr. Roberts has stated elsewhere that if he had only one round to load up with and he could not pick a bonded or monolithic round like the TOTM, and he was being dropped off in the sand-box, MK318 would be it.
    that's all i needed to hear. i think its time to pull the trigger on a large mk318 purchase. thank you all.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post

Would you say the above holds true for the 77 gr Sierra BTHP (TRU)?

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast