Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Parents and student loans

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    The guy who ran a gay brothel out of his apartment in DC?
    That’s right. Him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Well, in addition to real departments colleges gotta have a dept of lesbian literature, a dept of environmental justice, and so on. All with dept heads making 300k or more, plus associates, plus staff, throw in a few paid "travelling scholars" that no one can actually account for...

It's no wonder college costs so much, I'm just surprised they don't strip the students for parts and organs while they are there. They already leech all the blood right out of em.

Feedback Score
    The degree itself matters. Business or Marketing? Meh. "Would you like to supersize that order sir?"

Liberal Arts? Get fvcked.

Engineering? Might be onto something.

Trade school or other in-need line of work? You're getting warmer.

I have always had the thought that you don't have to have your "dream job" or even really like your job (just be able to tolerate it). I have been in the medical field for > 30 years now. I don't particularly care for it, I don't read medical articles or watch medical shows when I'm off. It is a living but I do it damn well. It also, more importantly, pays the bills and has for more than three decades. Associates Degree and two professional credentials. No $200K+ bachelors degree that will wind up making $40K a year upon graduation if you're lucky. Sometimes ya gotta do a job that is in demand and suck it up to make a decent living.

I don't have kids but if I did my offer would have been this: you can live here and have a roof over your head and food (until you graduate of course!), but the cost of school is on YOU.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Never do a parent plus loan.

At most, cosign a loan with the student as the primary borrower.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Too many people, not enough jobs.

Stagnate wages for 20 years. The price of a house and car had doubled, companies are still starting college graduates at the same salary as 20 years ago. Yes this includes STEM/tech jobs that require 4 years degrees at minimum. STEM does not pay that well.

You also hear the BS like about how there is not enough 2 year trade school graduates. Welding, electrician, plumbing etc. Unless you are lucky to own your own shop (which is basically impossible for most young starters due to the sky high price of real estate) you can plan on making $40k starting.

Add student loans on top of all this shit, and you have young people that can't buy a house, start a family, or start a 401k until they are 40 years old.

Too many illegal and legal immigrants.

Not enough real estate.
    Last edited by scottryan; 11-19-20 at 19:57.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What happened to pay as you go. Thats what I did and that's what my friends did. Work and go to community college for all the basic credits then transfer to a major college and continue to take credits as money allows. I didn't take 12 credits per semester, sometimes it's was 6, sometimes 9. I ultimately went a different route but my friend and I left debt free and didn't take much longer than going full time.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    You also hear the BS like about how there is not enough 2 year trade school graduates. Welding, electrician, plumbing etc. Unless you are lucky to own your own shop (which is basically impossible for most young starters due to the sky high price of real estate) you can plan on making $40k starting.

Add student loans on top of all this shit, and you have young people that can't buy a house, start a family, or start a 401k until they are 40 years old.
    If someone is willing to work, willing to learn, and willing to get dirty, wet, cold... they can start at the bottom in underground/utility construction at 40k. Have a good idea which end of the shovel goes in the ground and no student loan debt. Learn to be a pipelayer and you'll always be able to find a job as long as people drink and crap. Carreer path into 6 figures or start your own business.

Not all success stories start at a university. Lots of plumbers, electricians, and exterminators become millionaires.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You can't wait until a Child of yours is 17-18 years old and sit down and talk to them about paying for college. Same thing with money, personal economics or debt, because if you do, you set them up for disaster.
    Also be aware someone is going to offer them a credit card application when they arrive at college.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    And where is the son and daughter? Dead? If they are alive, are they working, and if they are working why are they not helping their elderly parents pay of the debt? Do these children love and honor their parents?
    From the article:

"The Rifes’ daughter, Stacy Johnson, now 41, got a good job as a nurse after she graduated. She is managing her own student loan payments, raising a family and sending her parents what money she can to help them out. It pains her to know that her 63-year-old mother, who has become disabled and can no longer work, goes without health insurance so her parents can make the loan payments."

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    Well, in addition to real departments colleges gotta have a dept of lesbian literature, a dept of environmental justice, and so on. All with dept heads making 300k or more, plus associates, plus staff, throw in a few paid "travelling scholars" that no one can actually account for...

It's no wonder college costs so much, I'm just surprised they don't strip the students for parts and organs while they are there. They already leech all the blood right out of em.
    Source? That sounds like a small % of colleges to me.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast