Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Better duty rifles in current production?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Personally, I'm not a fan of over-gassed uppers so, I generally stay away from Daniel Defense though they are generally a really good manufacturer for people not running suppressed. As noted, running non-standard or proprietary systems can also be an issue if you don't travel with a decent set of spare parts. Murphy's law can strike even a premium built rifle.

For people randomly asking about AR-15's, mixing and matching uppers and lowers is a no-go for me though, it is better than "franken'gun" recommendations from random "gun plumbers". YMMV

A complete rifle is better for someone new to the rifle game as well for multiple reasons. While you can save F.E.T. by purchasing a quality complete lower from someone and a similar quality upper from someone else, you still have to pay shipping and where do you go if things aren't right? Personally, I'll give the extra ~$100 to a quality manufacturer to have a completely debugged system that is ready to go to work.

This doesn't mean that your $30 gun show lower with a random LPK and a good upper won't meet the needs of many people though.

Having wasted a lot of money on various AR-15 uppers and lowers over the years, I could have easily afforded the KAC a long time ago. Today, those other rifles, uppers, etc. are collecting dust because the KAC is simply a vastly superior rifle in my hands with my trigger finger. A retired Marine could probably still outshoot me with their rack grade random AR-15 but, the fact remains I hit stuff with KAC that would be a miss with my other AR-15's.

And no, KAC isn't the only manufacturer with these qualities, just the one I have personal experience with.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pcar157 View Post
    Yes, but be aware the LE Super Duty (sku 08-184B) is significantly different than the standard Super Duty (sku 08-188LB). Not saying that at $850 it's not a great buy but don't think you are getting the standard Super Duty for that money.
    Just sayin'
    Yup, I'm aware.

Sounds like you're into Geisseles. Which models do you own, and what kind of shooting do you do with them?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post
    Having wasted a lot of money on various AR-15 uppers and lowers over the years, I could have easily afforded the KAC a long time ago.
    I had an opportunity to buy an SR15 at my LGS (an hour away) but had just bought my kid's M1Garand from the CMP, which was his graduation gift so swinging the $2200ish was a no go. KAC makes great products no doubt, I have a small fortune in SR25 mags.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    Personally, I'm not a fan of over-gassed uppers so, I generally stay away from Daniel Defense
    Depends on the barrel/upper. Their 16" middy barrels are 0.072" ports which are some of the smallest available from a major mfg.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Personally, I'm not a fan of over-gassed uppers so, I generally stay away from Daniel Defense though they are generally a really good manufacturer for people not running suppressed.
    Hasn’t DD addressed this with smaller ports on “recent” production rifles?
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Personally, I'm not a fan of over-gassed uppers so, I generally stay away from Daniel Defense though they are generally a really good manufacturer for people not running suppressed. As noted, running non-standard or proprietary systems can also be an issue if you don't travel with a decent set of spare parts. Murphy's law can strike even a premium built rifle.
    Quote Originally Posted by R0CKETMAN View Post
    Hasn’t DD addressed this with smaller ports on “recent” production rifles?
    I'm pretty sure they fixed the MK18 gas ports, but I don't know about the rest of their guns.

Personally DD doesn't impress me much any more. Granted, it's been a couple of years since I had occasion to tear one down, but the last couple I remember messing with had very poor staking on the castle nuts and no grease whatsoever on the barrel nuts. I couldn't help but think there were corners cut during assembly.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    I voted with my wallet by grabbing the Centurion 12.5. Fit my needs and by my eye is very well built. Smooth shooter.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMT/556 View Post
    ... KAC makes great products no doubt, I have a small fortune in SR25 mags.
    My SR-15 makes me want to replace the DPMS G2's with an SR-25. I just wish they weren't $4K.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    Depends on the barrel/upper. Their 16" middy barrels are 0.072" ports which are some of the smallest available from a major mfg.
    Thanks! I might have to reconsider one of those. The carbine gas I tried would choke me out on a suppressed rifle in a heartbeat or two.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troutrunner View Post
    I voted with my wallet by grabbing the Centurion 12.5. Fit my needs and by my eye is very well built. Smooth shooter.

Nice rifle! Oops, nice pistol I guess!

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast