Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: USAF to adopt Army's OCP camo

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    If I was in the Navy and my ship sunk, leaving me floating out there, the last damn thing I'd want to look like is water!
    EXACTLY!!! The Army and Air Force should share land uniforms, likewise the Navy should use Marine land uniforms.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cagemonkey View Post
    EXACTLY!!! The Army and Air Force should share land uniforms, likewise the Navy should use Marine land uniforms.
    Or at least make it battleship gray camo so they can hide aboard ship.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    I’m old school (wore OD Green fatigues ‘73-76) but I’ve kinda wondered why all these camoflage uniforms aren’t theater-specific rather than branch-specific?

Feedback Score
    I believe the Marines are the only service to currently maintain a desert-pattern uniform. OCP is supposed to be a one-pattern-fits-all uniform.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdWatcher View Post
    I’m old school (wore OD Green fatigues ‘73-76) but I’ve kinda wondered why all these camoflage uniforms aren’t theater-specific rather than branch-specific?
    It's the Marines' fault. My understanding is that is that one of their biggest reasons for picking up MARPAT was because they wanted something that was distinct from the other services, rather than any major shortcomings with the woodland and desert patterns of the time. Obviously, all the other services said that if the Marines got new uniforms, they wanted new uniforms too.

I never fully understood the need for a multi-terrain camouflage pattern. Yeah, Multicam largely works as advertised, being relatively effective in both wooded and arid environments. But why not just stick with two (or more) patterns that are ideally suited for their specific environments? That makes more sense. The only logic I can see behind the decision for a one size fits all pattern is that bean counters figured that one combined uniform would trim budgets.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdWatcher View Post
    That would be logical, and wouldn't generate make-work for an officer staff and some civilian hangers-on.

Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    I never fully understood the need for a multi-terrain camouflage pattern. Yeah, Multicam largely works as advertised, being relatively effective in both wooded and arid environments. But why not just stick with two (or more) patterns that are ideally suited for their specific environments? That makes more sense. The only logic I can see behind the decision for a one size fits all pattern is that bean counters figured that one combined uniform would trim budgets.
    This varies by region, but in mountain/desert areas you could be in three or more totally different color environments just by going up and down in elevation: gray granite at the top of mountains, evergreen forests high up the slopes, brighter green deciduous forests lower on the slopes, and various colors of desert (sage green, red/orange clay, or yellow sand) in the bottom of the valleys. I can see a benefit to having a single pattern that's adequate for all of those vs. having the ideal desert pattern and sticking out in the forest.

Feedback Score
    Curiously enough, the old six-color "chocolate chip" desert pattern works pretty well in some autumn woodland environments.

Feedback Score
    I've seen pics of the OCP in wooded environments, in Afghanistan, and in northern Iraq/Syria. It does pretty good in all those. Haven't seen any with it in flat-out desert like Kuwait or Saudi though.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    It's the Marines' fault. My understanding is that is that one of their biggest reasons for picking up MARPAT was because they wanted something that was distinct from the other services, rather than any major shortcomings with the woodland and desert patterns of the time. Obviously, all the other services said that if the Marines got new uniforms, they wanted new uniforms too.
    The uniform fiasco is mostly the Corps’ fault. They felt the need to always be special inside the post-WWII DOD, when the Depts of War and Navy were combined. Fast forward to 1980, when they need the Eagle, Globe and Anchor added onto the BDUs that every other service thought were fine.

Fast forward another 20 years, 2000, and Uncle Sam’s Most Coddled think they need to look different than everyone else, even though there were several years of joint uniform improvement projects. The Corps runs their own project, incorporating their trademark EGA and demonstrates their respect for the concept of jointness. The Corps argument was the blob based DCU and woodland patterns had shortcomings under night vision (arguably some truth). In the end the Corps produced a pretty effective set of camouflage patterns in a decent uniform design, in a calculated manner to effectively waste taxpayer dollars. The rest of the services, led by the Army, doubled down on dumb, with service-specific patterns.

Fast forward another 15 years and the Army bumbles into the Scorpion, intellectual property they have owned for years after finding it remarkably effective. Good decision by the Air Force to follow the Army lead in the OCP/Multicam/Scorpion uniforms, which are well vetted, well supported and well accepted by the Air Force at war. The good news is 15 years from now, the E-3 born in 2011 will be complaining about their outdated uniform.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The Woodland pattern and the Chocolate Chip desert BDUs were fine.
    After the second or third day of constant wear they were only better.
    What looks good in garrison shouldn't determine what works best in the field.
    Once they're dusty, sweaty and muddy they're better camouflage.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast