Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Self assembled Feild Cleaning kits*PICS*

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    From your mouth to God's ears.

Mud doesn't always mean "creek" or "pond" nearby. Fatigue means mistakes. Jsop isn't asking about carrying enough gear to require a logistics command following him around, he's talking about enough gear to keep a rifle going without having to "return to base".

Mistakes happen. While it would be kinda rare to drop your rifle, in the mud, with the mag out and the dust cover open, it could happen. It'd be nice to have something practical on hand to get the rifle up & running again before you run into the badguys.

If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home
    Last edited by MistWolf; 12-12-11 at 17:35.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    What exact situation are you preparing for? A true SHTF situation where you are "bugged out", humping cross country, and basically cut off from all civilization?

What exactly do you plan on having to clean on your rifle? Do you forsee cleaning off mud from dropping your rifle, or do you think you'll have to clean off caked up carbon from firing thousands of rounds through your weapon between cleanings?

I am asking these questions seriously because I want to know what your state of mind is before I offer any "advise". I have thought these situations through as well, and have really boiled it down to what I really "need"...
    For some reason when I read your post I could hear that hilarious video on YouTube with the animated dudes...

OP

How about a standard GI cleaning kit?

Cleaning rod
    Bore brush
    Chamber brush
    Patch holder
    Patches
    Tooth brush
    CLP

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lamarbrog View Post
    Okay, let's say you "drop" your rifle into a pile of mud as you're just meandering along. The dust cover should have been closed, and a magazine should have been in the magazine well. There should be no functional issues with the rifle. Rinse it in a pond, creek, lake, stream, river, etc. and dry it off.

The only instance I can think of when you might drop a rifle action-open into mud would be in a very undesirable combat scenario. In which case, if it prohibits your rifle from functioning all the cleaning supplies in the world won't help you because whomever you are exchanging fire with is going to kill you while you are trying to clean the gunk out of your rifle.

Transition to secondary if it's a "danger close" situation. If that is not the case, clean the gunk out of your rifle at the next possible moment using some water and your tooth brush.
    I appreciate your input but I don't think were on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    From your mouth to God's ears.

Mud doesn't always mean "creek" or "pond" nearby. Fatigue means mistakes. Jsop isn't asking about carrying enough gear to require a logistics command following him around, he's talking about enough gear to keep a rifle going without having to "return to base".

Mistakes happen. While it would be kinda rare to drop your rifle, in the mud, with the mag out and the dust cover open, it could happen. It'd be nice to have something practical on hand to get the rifle up & running again before you run into the badguys.

If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home
    ^^ We are though.

That statement was about a "well **** me!" moment. Not a statement about tactics and procedures.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post

OP

How about a standard GI cleaning kit?

Cleaning rod
    Bore brush
    Chamber brush
    Patch holder
    Patches
    Tooth brush
    CLP
    Thats what ive started with, the basics are the basics for a reason. Added some things Ive like having in the past. And maybe looking for other things people have discovered.

Feedback Score
    Then wipe off the parts on your shirt and get on with life. Carrying a bath towel in the event you might drop your rifle in the mud with the action open in a non-combat scenario, but with one imminently approaching is along the same lines of carrying a spare rifle because you might get a squib and blow up your current rifle.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Then wipe off the parts on your shirt and get on with life. Carrying a bath towel in the event you might drop your rifle in the mud with the action open in a non-combat scenario, but with one imminently approaching is along the same lines of carrying a spare rifle because you might get a squib and blow up your current rifle.
    Im under the impression you've never been part of a active military grunt unit, which is fine but when your on a field exorcize your not walking around with mags in. At least never one that I was involved in.

And when there's been live fire there's a lot of chamber checking and bolts locked to the rear for safety issues.

As for the SHTF senario that wasnt what I was thinking about, I was thinking about propping my rifle up in a portashitter and then opening the door and BAM "**** ME!" it tipped over...

As for transitioning to my secondary <-- yes in a SHTF senario
    Real life, Most of the time my M4 is my secondary and a Heavy gun being my primary.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsop View Post
    Im under the impression you've never been part of a active military grunt unit, which is fine but when your on a field exorcize your not walking around with mags in. At least never one that I was involved in.

And when there's been live fire there's a lot of chamber checking and bolts locked to the rear for safety issues.

As for the SHTF senario that wasnt what I was thinking about, I was thinking about propping my rifle up in a portashitter and then opening the door and BAM "**** ME!" it tipped over...

As for transitioning to my secondary <-- yes in a SHTF senario
    Real life, Most of the time my M4 is my secondary and a Heavy gun being my primary.
    No I haven't participated in any military field drills or military live fire drills.

And I'm not really sure when "drill" = "SHTF". The whole premise of this thread was for a SHTF cleaning kit.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    No I haven't participated in any military field drills or military live fire drills.

And I'm not really sure when "drill" = "SHTF". The whole premise of this thread was for a SHTF cleaning kit.
    No it was not. --> I <-- started the thread and in my first line I said "field or SHTF" mostly geared towards real like military training evolutions with SHTF as a secondary thought.

I guess many people wont understand what I meant by "the field" and ill probably edit that to simplify that.

Feedback Score
    ... im missing is Lube. I was thinking a weapon properly treated with froglube is sustainable for a while with liquid froglube.
    But since it reacts with other lubes, In a bugout situation after ive depleted my resources maybe its smarter to go with something more conventional? Comments?
    Usually don't get involved in this, but most of you are missing the most obvious source for "lube" . Automobiles of course mainly the hundreds if not thousands abandoned in a shtf due to lack of fuel etc.
    All that engine/tranny oil will still be there when the automobile is ditched. Punch a hole and there's your resupply

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Add a 1/8 inch punch and call it a day. No need to add extra rags and such…In a "Field" environment you'll have spare shirts.

All my time in the military and I've never needed more than what I had listed. That was time spent as 11B and 55D (89D Now) CONUS and "In Country".

You want to keep it light and simple. You want it easily packable and you want it to sustain you for long(er) periods of time. Put CLP in your kit (Or enter your favorite lube) and those recommendations are what you've asked for.

Thats what ive started with, the basics are the basics for a reason. Added some things Ive like having in the past. And maybe looking for other things people have discovered.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast