Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a 9mm 1911, which one?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I have an SA stainless Target in 9mm because it’s one of only two 9mm 1911 that can be purchased new in my state. I had to send it back twice. Once for failure to feed (throated barrel and polished feed ramp) and second time for failure to lock back on certain mags (replaced slide stop).

Same story, great customer service and even sold me another $600 of custom shop modifications. Point being, my SA 9mm 1911 is a $1600 gun, not a $1000 gun. From everything I’ve read on multiple forums, Dan Wesson would be my choice if I started looking at 1911s again.

Feedback Score
    For under a $1000 I would get the Springfield Range Office. Mine is 100% reliable with FMJ ammo, made of carbon steel which I prefer, with a decent trigger. It might of been sprung a little lite so I put in a 13lb Wilson Flat Wire Spring and will put a Dawson Fiber Optic on it soon.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Despite being the biggest SA fanboy, I went with a Dan Wesson Valor. I handled one at a LGS and was very impressed, It however was $1,650. I was able to grab a Valor for $1,250, under $1,300 to my door. Still a fair chunk more than RO even though I would probably have to change the sights on the RO, which may even out a bit. And I love the Valor sights.

Fellas, wish me luck. I hoped I picked a winner.

PB
    I look forward to reading about how you like it.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Aren't these called a High Power?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by noonesshowmonkey View Post
    Aren't these called a High Power?

Ive been eyeballing Highpowers for a couple years, please dont bring that area of concern to my forefront !

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Ive been eyeballing Highpowers for a couple years, please dont bring that area of concern to my forefront !

PB
    Just go ahead and get one.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Despite being the biggest SA fanboy, I went with a Dan Wesson Valor. I handled one at a LGS and was very impressed, It however was $1,650. I was able to grab a Valor for $1,250, under $1,300 to my door. Still a fair chunk more than RO even though I would probably have to change the sights on the RO, which may even out a bit. And I love the Valor sights.

Fellas, wish me luck. I hoped I picked a winner.

PB
    Betting you're happy with that decision. Let us know........

Feedback Score
    IMHO After watching my friends try to get their 1911 9mm guns to run reliably, the best 9mm 1911 is the Browning HiPower.
    Last edited by Gunnar da Wolf; 03-13-19 at 10:10.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar da Wolf View Post
    IMHO After watching my friends try to get their 1911 9mm guns to run reliably, the best 9mm 1911 is the Browning HiPower.
    Your friends don't know what they're doing if they can't get 'em to run.

In the past year and a half I've ran about 10K rounds of factory FMJ through four 5" 1911s, almost 8K through one. I haven't had a malfunction outside of a couple mangled up rounds from a lot of Winchester NATO.

A Hi Power is a poor excuse of a pistol next to a good 1911.
    Last edited by 17K; 03-13-19 at 11:20.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The BHP is a great legacy pistol, it does many things well. In my experience it's short comings are: lack of a proper grip tang/beavertail, odd trigger linkage and the magazine disconnect. For a price of course, these short comings can be addressed. For my money the CZ 75 SAO or a easily converted standard 75 is the way to go. Outwardly similar in shape and size to the BHP but sharing rather little in design. There are many after market parts available including sights and the basic pistol is a bit stronger than the BHP. Another to consider is the SIG P226 SAO. I've owned all three and I still have my converted pre-B 75 in SAO. I'd still have the SIG 226 SAO but had to sell due to money issues and traded the BHP because it just wasn't what I thought it would be. The CZ and SIG really were better.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast