Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sig Sauer Awarded New Contract for 6.8 Weapons Systems.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kyjd75 View Post
    I received this press release from Sig Sauer today around noon.

SIG SAUER Selected by U.S. Army for Next Generation Weapons with New Ammunition Technology, Lightweight Machine Gun, Rifle, and Suppressors
    Published Date: 09/03/2019

NEWINGTON, N.H., (September 3, 2019) – SIG SAUER, Inc. is proud to announce the official award of a contract by the U.S. Army in the down-select process for the Next Generation Squad Weapons (NGSW). The award encompasses the complete SIG SAUER system consisting of 6.8mm hybrid ammunition, a lightweight machine gun, rifle, and included suppressors. SIG SAUER will provide single-source manufacturing for ammunition, weapons, and suppressors allowing for less risk and increased capability for the U.S. Army.

“The U.S. Army is leading the world in the first significant upgrade to small arms in decades to meet the growing demands of soldiers on the battlefield. We are honored to have been selected for the Next Generation Squad Weapons program bringing increased lethality to the warfighter over the legacy weapons,” began Ron Cohen, President & CEO, SIG SAUER, Inc. “At the core of our submission is our newly developed, high-pressure, 6.8mm hybrid ammunition that is utilized in both weapons, and is a significant leap forward in ammunition innovation, design, and manufacturing.”

Here is link to the entire release: https://www.sigsauer.com/press-relea..._source=Eloqua

Love them or hate them, no one can deny that Sig Sauer is red hot and on quite a roll with government contracts.
    I recently purchased 2 Sigs, a 716 Gen 2 Patrol 308 and a MCX Virtus 300BO 9" pistol. Both are immaculate and shoot flawlessly, I am in the Love them camp. But when it comes to pistols, NO thanks Sig, I am a Glock Lover.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Ammunition bit is cool. Would like to see how it works, etc.

Other than that, just another piston AR.

But back to ammo, I would imagine that “sole source” item is just there as a bargaining chip for later. Not versed in federal contracts, though.

Feedback Score
    Yeah as long as lake city exists...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I found this on the ammo.

“The 6.8mm Next Generation ammo needs to have the velocity to penetrate body armor; this is one of the requirements from the army. Cohen feels this ammo could change the path of firearms, because it’ll allow for new platforms of weapons. Having seen it first hand, we believe the new hybrid technology is a truly significant development in ammunition design and, by extension, what firearms will be capable of. SIG opted for a bi-metallic, multi-piece case instead of a telescoping polymer case. During testing, SIG learned that it’s difficult for polymer rounds to keep high pressures. As of December 2018, SIG has demonstrated at two separate locations for the U.S. Army the 6.8mm Hybrid ammo shot from a 16-inch barrel at 3,000 feet per second.”

“One of the many benefits of SIG’s Hybrid ammo is that it can be used in legacy firearms. For the regular consumer, this translates to access to high-pressure, high-velocity rounds in the future that we can use in the guns we already own. For competitors, Lindsay Bunch, of the Strategic Weapons Group, likens the increased performance of the hybrid ammo to getting 24-inch bolt gun velocity in a 16-inch gas gun. That capability would be a huge competitive and hunting advantage. To learn more about NGSW, go to the Federal Business Opportunities website, www.fbo.gov, and search for solicitation number W15QKN19Z042P.”

Full article source
    https://www.recoilweb.com/sig-sauers...ng-146832.html

Hard to say what will come of it. We know what happened with the xm8 and G11.

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    The ammunition is what is driving this bus, due to the near peer threat, and it should reach milestone C and then on to full rate production. As said above, this was a down select to three vendors, Textron, General Dynamics and Sig. Also take notice that FN is not on this list.

As far as the press release goes, somebody in Sig's PR/marketing department took some real creative liberties. Sig definitely has the capability to be the single source provider for both weapons systems and the ammunition, but this makes procurement officers cringe. I completely agree that Textron should be the front runner in this, with General Dynamics in the hunt. This is a program to watch because it has the support of a lot of people in the Pentagon.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ginge View Post
    I found this on the ammo.

“The 6.8mm Next Generation ammo needs to have the velocity to penetrate body armor; this is one of the requirements from the army. Cohen feels this ammo could change the path of firearms, because it’ll allow for new platforms of weapons. Having seen it first hand, we believe the new hybrid technology is a truly significant development in ammunition design and, by extension, what firearms will be capable of. SIG opted for a bi-metallic, multi-piece case instead of a telescoping polymer case. During testing, SIG learned that it’s difficult for polymer rounds to keep high pressures. As of December 2018, SIG has demonstrated at two separate locations for the U.S. Army the 6.8mm Hybrid ammo shot from a 16-inch barrel at 3,000 feet per second.”

“One of the many benefits of SIG’s Hybrid ammo is that it can be used in legacy firearms. For the regular consumer, this translates to access to high-pressure, high-velocity rounds in the future that we can use in the guns we already own. For competitors, Lindsay Bunch, of the Strategic Weapons Group, likens the increased performance of the hybrid ammo to getting 24-inch bolt gun velocity in a 16-inch gas gun. That capability would be a huge competitive and hunting advantage. To learn more about NGSW, go to the Federal Business Opportunities website, www.fbo.gov, and search for solicitation number W15QKN19Z042P.”

Full article source
    https://www.recoilweb.com/sig-sauers...ng-146832.html

Hard to say what will come of it. We know what happened with the xm8 and G11.

Which all sounds awesome for us the civilian consumers.

Until it’s banned

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post

Until it’s banned

Yup.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post

Until it’s banned

None of us, outside of a crate that "fell off an ammo truck," would get to shoot the tungsten core ammunition that would be going hand in hand with the new 6.8.

Pretending it will happen is a fool's bet.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Also, the .mil wants telescopic ammunition ultimately yes? Only nobody has been able to do it successfully yet correct?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    If any company has the capital to chase that tiger it would be Winchester-Olin in partnership with Textron.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast