Thread: Anyone have two Razor 1-10s?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Anyone have two Razor 1-10s?

For years, I’ve noticed people complain about the Razor 1-10’s performance on 1x on how they can’t get it to feel nearly as flat as the 1-6. My position throughout that time has been that my until Razor’s diopter was more sensitive and therefore, I had to spend more time and attention to getting it set perfectly for my eye but once I did, 1x performance was very similar. So much so that while 1x is the most important factor to me, I sold off my 1-6 and viewed the 1-10 as a more than adequate replacement as I was giving up a very small percentage of 1x performance but gaining FFP and a more useable reticle, an extra 4x, and an easier magnification throw.

Not long ago, I got a second 1-10 and ever since, I’ve struggled to get the diopter set to the same performance as my first one. I just bought a cheap digital caliper to measure the exact distance from the diopter to the scope body so that I could perfectly match them and even though I think they’re as close as reasonably possible, 1x just does not look the same to me.

Because of all of the complaints I’d noticed over the years, I was starting to wonder if there was a noticeable variation from scope to scope that was giving some people the poor 1x performance that’s often complained about while others don’t have an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Variation in manufacturing/materials sounds like the only option if you confirm with calipers. Perhaps something similar to “tolerance stacking” but with components…ie two lenses on the extreme ends of specs in terms of curvature versus two that are more on the desired size.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    Variation in manufacturing/materials sounds like the only option if you confirm with calipers. Perhaps something similar to “tolerance stacking” but with components…ie two lenses on the extreme ends of specs in terms of curvature versus two that are more on the desired size.
    I think this is the reason. Each scope is an individual.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It takes very little rotation for a diopter setting to change, so I wouldn't expect measuring the gap to be a meaningful method to confirm that two optics have identical diopter settings. I see no reason why you couldn't set them both side by side on a table and go back and forth between them, making minute changes to #2 until it is a nearly perfect match to #1.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    For years, I’ve noticed people complain about the Razor 1-10’s performance on 1x on how they can’t get it to feel nearly as flat as the 1-6. My position throughout that time has been that my until Razor’s diopter was more sensitive and therefore, I had to spend more time and attention to getting it set perfectly for my eye but once I did, 1x performance was very similar. So much so that while 1x is the most important factor to me, I sold off my 1-6 and viewed the 1-10 as a more than adequate replacement as I was giving up a very small percentage of 1x performance but gaining FFP and a more useable reticle, an extra 4x, and an easier magnification throw.

Not long ago, I got a second 1-10 and ever since, I’ve struggled to get the diopter set to the same performance as my first one. I just bought a cheap digital caliper to measure the exact distance from the diopter to the scope body so that I could perfectly match them and even though I think they’re as close as reasonably possible, 1x just does not look the same to me.

Because of all of the complaints I’d noticed over the years, I was starting to wonder if there was a noticeable variation from scope to scope that was giving some people the poor 1x performance that’s often complained about while others don’t have an issue.

Just so happens I do, first one was a MRAD reticle preorder from when it was released so it was certainly one of the first batches. Second was a MOA reticle purchased around summer 2022. No discernable difference between the two, very subjectively maybe slightly better edge clarity from the newer one, possible I just adjusted it better. Could it be possible you got a lemon?
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 03-24-23 at 21:55.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I was thinking that the equivalence of tolerance stacking or each optic being its own thing like a barrel could be it. I haven't seen any reason to believe there's an issue with either of my scopes aside from this. I have eyeballed it a lot, trying to get them to match, to the point that it starts making my eyes hurt. Again, I just keep going back to all the people I've seen complain about this and wonder if maybe they have a lack of consistent performance from scope to scope here. I'm spending most of today on the range so I'll mess with them quite a bit.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    I have two Gen 3 Razors 1-10 that I got two years apart. They are identical in every way. No variance at all. One in the made in Japan and the other is the newer made in the US version.

Maybe one is defective. Have you contacted Vortex?
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Alright so I’m an idiot. I debated not posting this to protect my ego but it wouldn’t be right. After I got the diopter dialed in to match my first 1-10 with the calipers, the image through the lens was still fish-eye, hence the post. I actually drafted the OP while I was gone yesterday and then held off posting just because I wanted to make sure the scope was at 1x. A few hours later I’d forgotten to verify but posted anyways. I remembered to check this morning and the mag was around 2x. Felt impressively dumb but threw it back to 1x and I haven’t noticed a difference between the two since.

Bottom line, my initial observation seems correct to me. The diopter is more sensitive than I remember my 1-6 being. It took several attempts to get both of my 1-10 diopters set correctly for my eyes. Before I got the calipers, I had my second one pretty close, but not perfect (I had verified that it was on 1x previously, this was over the course of several range trips). Once I measured my first and matched my second to it (and set it back to 1x…), it’s been solid.

I’ve said before I’m fairly untrained at shooting distance and while I’ve had experience with LPVOs for several years now, I’m still relatively inexperienced with scopes. It’s difficult to mess up a P4Xi and Razor 1-6. The Razor 1-10 seems to be slightly easier to use improperly (diopter, eye box, etc), but since my actual problem was user error, I’m back to loving these scopes.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Kudos on getting it ironed out. I know you've got to be feeling a ton better, if not at least a little sheepish knowing it was such a simple solution. We've all been there, bro. Thanks for letting us know what it was.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    I have two Gen 3 Razors 1-10 that I got two years apart. They are identical in every way. No variance at all. One in the made in Japan and the other is the newer made in the US version.

Maybe one is defective. Have you contacted Vortex?

Two here as well, no differences that I can tell. The 1-10 is certainly a different beast than the 1-6, and its enough of a deal that I make a witness mark in case the diopter gets ganked or someone else is using it.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB