Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Updated Colt Modular Carbine in 6.5 Creedmoor (& 308)

Feedback Score
    I got to see one in 6.5 at a gun show this weekend. The rail is a full length rail but the barrel almost looked like 16in instead of a 18. It was a stainless steel barrel. I have my colt marc901 with the screw in rail sections. It’s an extremely accurate gun with Hornady 168 Amax, 3/4 moa to 1/2 moa. I added a surefire socom brake and a geissele ssa-e and on top is a Trijicon accupower 3-9 mil square. If colt had a marketing department that actually shot and brought in a research and development team they could actually fix the company.

Feedback Score
    If they offered an OEM series on the 901 working with other industry partners for handguard option compatibility, they could sell these things like crack.

We should be seeing a lot more about this rifle on the marketing side, with good distribution support for FFLs, but we don't.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I hope this is decent, I have one in 308 coming in soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I think this rifle rebuilt on the DPMS small frame format would be killa!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Why?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I wonder what other rails will fit on this.

Feedback Score
    I’m interested to see how they are accuracy wise compared to the monolithic ones. Mine with 168 gr hornady black Amax is typically under an inch with my Trijicon 3-9 accupower. The monolithic ones are also a hair lighter since they are not full length rails.

Feedback Score
    Here we are the middle of shot show and the 6.5 is still not on Colt's website. There have been no 901 postings on Colt's instagram page either. I think the rifle looks great. Typical Colt: great product, horrible support and marketing. It's like they don't even want to sell guns.

Feedback Score
    Surprised Colt didn't go with an Armalite / SR25 profile on the receivers.

Feedback Score
    I'm really tired of the trope of receiver type matching. No one buys a precision AR10 to play Lego with it.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joffe View Post
    I'm really tired of the trope of receiver type matching. No one buys a precision AR10 to play Lego with it.
    This rifle in particular is never going to be SR25 compatible because it is supposed to be able to interface with standard AR15 upper receivers...!
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Just picked up my Colt Modular 7.62 from the LGS. Bought it on Gunbroker for $2k.

Initial once over is positive. Came with a "goody" bag consiting of a 20 round PMAG, a Brownells chamber brush, 30 cal bronze brush, a muzzle cap and instruction manual for the 901 Modular Carbine. Rifle has a set of Magpul MBUS Pro sights.

Comparing this to the memory of the SCAR 17 I used to have, this thing feels like a summer sausage whereas the SCAR 17 was like a baguette. It's beefy. I think shooting the Colt will be better due to the weight and length but I am not a professional. I'm more like a nephew of Manny Mansfield. Anyway...

As a lefty one thing I didn't like was the left side mag release; on the Mod the button for the mag release is down between the trigger guard and magwell. I'll either get used to the new location or use my thumb to active the right side mag release. I like the Vltor stock, it seems to fit my face better than the B5 SOPMOD stock (seems slimmer). The rail is fatter than my VTAC Alpha rail but I'm assuming that's because of the 308 barrel diameter.

So... Am I happy with with the rifle @ $2k? For now I am. Shooting it will tell.

EDIT: I forgot to add, the "goody bag" also has sectional cleaning rods that screw together.

EDIT II: Oh yeah, the trigger. Single stage, pretty light. I'm no connoisseur and I haven't had a HUGE range of experience, but the trigger is pretty damn nice.
    Last edited by Leadslinger585; 01-25-19 at 21:07.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast