Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Self assembled Feild Cleaning kits*PICS*

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Self assembled Feild Cleaning kits*PICS*

So ive been trying to put together a good military field cleaning kit. Something that can sustain maintenance needs for an extended time out in the field(training or in country) or in a highly mobile bug out situation. Light weight and easily packable.

I know that I can keep my rifle running off of basically just wiping off the carrier and bolt and keeping it lubed. In my experience that's not always a long term solution. Shit gets nasty and for peace of mind id like the ability to tear down and really get in there.

This is an alternative to something like the otis cleaning kit which ive found to be lacking things.
    Because this (below) happens Id like to be prepared

I'm thinking one weapon system right now, My go to AR.

I figure I can always add small parts for additional weapons as I go or the need arises.

So far what I got for this project is:

Basic GI butt stock kit
    -Cleaning rods
    -AP brush
    -Eyelet
    -Chamber brush
    -Bore brush

What ive added so far
    -Chamber swab
    -Boresnake
    -decent patches
    -lightly oiled rag
    -1inch paintbrush(my dog tactically acquired that so in the process of
    replacement)

Now where my thought process is, is in long term sustainability.
    Obviously what im missing is Lube. I was thinking a weapon properly treated with froglube is sustainable for a while with liquid froglube.
    But since it reacts with other lubes, In a bugout situation or extended time out. After ive depleted my resources maybe its smarter to go with something more conventional? Comments?

Contemplating a Dental pik, Id be pissed if I left it out and really wanted it someday, but cant really justify its need.

Lastly what im looking for is a good case for it all. something completely seal-able, small, MOLLE a plus, stuff-able, durable, and appropriate.
    One thing I dont like about the otis is that its a bitch to shove in the front of an assault pack with is unforgiving round shape and the molle tethering is so short Ive had one unwork its self and that's unquestionably a waste.

So basically Im wondering what some of you have for situations like this. What am I missing... what should I ditch?

Also maybe some small appropriate tools you would consider packing away? I have my leatherman on hand but that doesn't really do everything I may need?

I'm a very visual learner so any pics of what some of you guys have would be greatly appreciated. That and who doesn't love pics?
    Last edited by Jaysop; 12-12-11 at 18:32. Reason: confusing termonalagy to some.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have what you have, plus:

giant bath towel
    rubber gloves
    300+ q tips
    150+ patches
    Frog Lube paste and liquid
    2 extra bottles of EWL

I do have more stuff for my handguns but that's all for my AR15. This stuff lives in my rifle bag and if it's SHTF I figure I'll need quantity of quality. Although I don't clean my rifle after every time I shoot like a lot of people, so items could be used to barter with.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    What exact situation are you preparing for? A true SHTF situation where you are "bugged out", humping cross country, and basically cut off from all civilization?

What exactly do you plan on having to clean on your rifle? Do you forsee cleaning off mud from dropping your rifle, or do you think you'll have to clean off caked up carbon from firing thousands of rounds through your weapon between cleanings?

I am asking these questions seriously because I want to know what your state of mind is before I offer any "advise". I have thought these situations through as well, and have really boiled it down to what I really "need"...

Feedback Score
    With the understanding that this is a bug-out, field cleaning kit...

1. USGI Cleaning Rod.
    2. Chamber Brush.
    3. Bore Brush.
    4. Small Bottle of Ballistol.
    5. Sock.
    6. Tooth Brush.

1. This is primarily for stuck cases. Otherwise I would only carry one section for cleaning the chamber.

2. Chamber cleanliness matters- don't want to have a torn case or a failure to extract because of a dirty chamber.

3. The bore brush only tags along because the full cleaning rod is already there for stuck cases. Otherwise it would be omitted. I am not going to have a significant decrease in accuracy due to bore fouling given the quantity of ammunition I could carry on my person.

4. Lube matters a whole lot more than any cleaning. Ballistol is my product of choice. Awesome stuff.

5. Works as a cleaning rag. Wipe off crud.

6. To get in the extractor claw and such. Just to knock crud out of tight places.

Feedback Score
    I would suggest a Multi-Tasker tool. It has most of the tools that you might need in the field, including a caste nut wrench. It is well designed and manufactured. Available @ Brownell's and others.
    Last edited by tbirk; 12-12-11 at 14:19.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Well im thinking less about a longterm bug out. More about a month or so out in the field w/o resupply in a military situation, or a bug out situation where its a grab and go and resupply as I go.

I'm not really thinking 1000s of round because that's kind of unrealistic in both situations.
    More thinking about adverse weather playing its part along with crud, shitty muddy places... Just getting filthy threw my rifle being out in the elements for an extended period of time, as well as carbon buildup.

Hypothetically you drop your rifle chamber open and now your f@*ked with mud and what ever else is in there and it drops below freezing at night so it has to be cleaned. What would you like to have on hand for that?

I do like keeping my rifle clean for peace of mind and habit.

As for what to keep it all in... im looking for a small pouch or case.
    What do you guys think? know of anything? I saw a small maxpediton pouch that zipped closed. But im more than open to suggestions.

Feedback Score
    I'll add that I would be carrying a Leatherman MUT. I don't usually consider that part of my cleaning supplies, so I forgot to mention it.

And as far as what you are talking about... I just don't throw my rifle action-open into the mud. Dust cover is there for a reason...

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lamarbrog View Post
    I just don't throw my rifle action-open into the mud. Dust cover is there for a reason...
    I knew someone was going to say something like that, obviously im not just dragging my shit threw the mud...

I don't know what your experiences are but shit happens, unfortunately its usually when your in a situation where you need it to work.

Ill be looking into the MUT, Iv never handled one but multiple people have recommended them in the past.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    He said "drop" not "throw". Sometimes you find yourself in a situation that no matter how much self discipline you have, you don't have your full facilities because of heat, cold, rain, wind, dehydration, lack of food, fatigue, injury- what have you, and you drop your weapon at the worst possible moment
    Last edited by MistWolf; 12-12-11 at 17:15.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Okay, let's say you "drop" your rifle into a pile of mud as you're just meandering along. The dust cover should have been closed, and a magazine should have been in the magazine well. There should be no functional issues with the rifle. Rinse it in a pond, creek, lake, stream, river, etc. and dry it off.

The only instance I can think of when you might drop a rifle action-open into mud would be in a very undesirable combat scenario. In which case, if it prohibits your rifle from functioning all the cleaning supplies in the world won't help you because whomever you are exchanging fire with is going to kill you while you are trying to clean the gunk out of your rifle.

Transition to secondary if it's a "danger close" situation. If that is not the case, clean the gunk out of your rifle at the next possible moment using some water and your tooth brush.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast