Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Noveske, Daniel Defense, or other? (CHF Barrel)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Like I said....unicorn tears..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You can buy a 16” and cut it down, no?
    Not the best on paper, but if you know the right people...

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    You can buy a 16” and cut it down, no?
    Not the best on paper, but if you know the right people...
    Absolutely, or Monty’s 14.7 CHF barrel. Adco or my personal favorite Marvin Pitts could both knock that out of the park....But it not just the barrel alone that makes the 12.5 so desirable - it’s the way Monty ported it. Many barrels on the market today run larger gas ports for a variety of reason, the least not being the larger port will cycle all kinds of ammo including lower pressure 223. The 12.5 is ported to run optimally suppressed. I’ll tell you it is hands down the smoothest shooting SBR I’ve shot and I will include my 14.5 Hanson’s in that list, which I thought were unbeatable in smooth shooting - and was until I got my 12.5 Centurion.

You could maybe run one of Clint’s (Black River Tactical) CustomTune gas port. I tried one on a DD 11.5 which was pretty freaking gassy due to a larger port size. It was like my gun got “fixed”. It went from a rough riding Bronc to a mellow mule. Still ran like a scalded dog, as far as slingin’ lead like any good DD CHF barrel would do, but it was a tame beast no doubt. Not far off from my 12.5 Centurion, which shocked the crap out of me.

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    Just picked up a Hodge 12.5 and have only functioned tested. It won’t lock back the bolt on the final round with an A5H0 buffer unsuppressed with wolf gold and Men M193. It will with Black Hills 77gr TMK. I need to change to a carbine system to use a broader ammo use.

Needless to say, if you want a small port, this has it.
    Couple of questions. I’m assuming the Wolf Gold is .223?
    The MEN XM193 is 5.56 right?

My experience with smaller port barrels is that they have a harder time cycling or locking back on lower pressure .223 ammo. Smaller port barrels are by design meant to run optimally with a can or higher pressure 5.56. As I write this I’m like, Fledge already knows this... but I had to learn it with my CA 12.5, trying different buffers and springs and testing with my normal ammo I stock. You could also open the port up a tad, but in my opinion that defeats the purpose behind the smaller port which (again imo) was to build a smoother shooting SBR that didn’t have as much recoil impulse giving you a faster on target response for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. rounds on target. I’ve had this discussion with Monty from CA, but I’m pretty sure I want to run my SBR’s - regardless of the barrel man./length with a can full time and I’ve gotten away from almost all .223 except some heavy .223 I’ve ran in precision guns.

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)

My experience with smaller port barrels is that they have a harder time cycling or locking back on lower pressure .223 ammo. Smaller port barrels are by design meant to run optimally with a can or higher pressure 5.56. As I write this I’m like, Fledge already knows this...
    Yes yes and yes. . I was surprised MEN 556 didn’t lock back (both of those cycled rounds however). I listed those ammo types because they are popular and some would find the info helpful. If you are unsuppressed wolf gold only guy, you’ll want a light buffer with this barrel.

I won’t open up the port. I just need to decide whether to swap out the A5 for a carbine... or work up hotter loads... or always suppress it. I’ve got options and look forward to dialing it in.

Feedback Score
    Yes yes and yes. . I was surprised MEN 556 didn’t lock back (both of those cycled rounds however). I listed those ammo types because they are popular and some would find the info helpful. If you are unsuppressed wolf gold only guy, you’ll want a light buffer with this barrel.

I won’t open up the port. I just need to decide whether to swap out the A5 for a carbine... or work up hotter loads... or always suppress it. I’ve got options and look forward to dialing it in.

Interesting, I got the slightly different results with my 12.5" Hodge. Test with/without Q Trash Panda

Unsuppressed:
    Hornady 55gr GMX locked back on last round with A5H4 & Green Spring.
    Remington AccuTip-V 50gr can't consistently lock back on last round with A5H4 & Green Spring; but has no problem with A5H3 & Green Spring.
    Brown Bear 55gr FMJ only consistently locked back on last round when using A5H0 & standard spring.

Suppressed:
    Hornady 55gr GMX locked back on last round with A5H4 & Green Spring.
    Brown Bear 55gr FMJ locked back on last round when using A5H4 & Green Spring.
    Didn't bother to check Remington as it's a hotter round than Brown Bear, so if even Brown Bear has no issue, I don't assume Remington would have any trouble.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron-E View Post
    Would you recommend a cut down colt socom over a Hodge defense?
    Not necessarily. You may have to open the gas port on the cut down Colt.

I think it’s six one way; half a dozen the other.

Feedback Score
    So what would be your guys recommendation for gasport size and buffer? Here's what I plan for the build but some things might change. The ammo I'll use is Wolf/Tula Steel Case for cheap training, Hornady Critical Defense for Home Defense, and Green Tip for any SHTF stuff. So the barrel has a .750 gas port and I'll have an adjustable gas block. I'll be using the A5H0 buffer and spring. All with a Hodge Defense 12.5 barrel.

Do you see anything wrong with this? Do I need to get the gas port cut, etc? Thanks for the help thus far gentlemen!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron-E View Post
    So what would be your guys recommendation for gasport size and buffer? Here's what I plan for the build but some things might change. The ammo I'll use is Wolf/Tula Steel Case for cheap training, Hornady Critical Defense for Home Defense, and Green Tip for any SHTF stuff. So the barrel has a .750 gas port and I'll have an adjustable gas block. I'll be using the A5H0 buffer and spring. All with a Hodge Defense 12.5 barrel.

Do you see anything wrong with this? Do I need to get the gas port cut, etc? Thanks for the help thus far gentlemen!
    Do you plan on running the gun suppressed at all? Im running the LMT enhanced carrier, a5h4 buffer, and tubbs ar10 flat wire spring with great success suppressed; however, it won't function unsuppressed.

Feedback Score

My experience with smaller port barrels is that they have a harder time cycling or locking back on lower pressure .223 ammo. Smaller port barrels are by design meant to run optimally with a can or higher pressure 5.56. As I write this I’m like, Fledge already knows this... but I had to learn it with my CA 12.5, trying different buffers and springs and testing with my normal ammo I stock. You could also open the port up a tad, but in my opinion that defeats the purpose behind the smaller port which (again imo) was to build a smoother shooting SBR that didn’t have as much recoil impulse giving you a faster on target response for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. rounds on target. I’ve had this discussion with Monty from CA, but I’m pretty sure I want to run my SBR’s - regardless of the barrel man./length with a can full time and I’ve gotten away from almost all .223 except some heavy .223 I’ve ran in precision guns.

Wolf Gold is basically M193, maybe a touch on the low side of a real 5.56 military load. Nominal 3200fps is what's expected, and the Wolf Gold pretty much gets there, while my IMI M193 gallops out at 3400fps or so. Pretty much loaded to the very upper end of a 223 load and it is reported it is overstocked Taiwanese military ammo. It is one of my primary training rounds

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus562 View Post
    Do you plan on running the gun suppressed at all? Im running the LMT enhanced carrier, a5h4 buffer, and tubbs ar10 flat wire spring with great success suppressed; however, it won't function unsuppressed.
    As of now no. But that might change in the future. I live in Canada so Suppressors are illegal. But lately a lot has been going well. Quebec just kicked out the Liberals. And that's saying a lot since the 2 parties in Quebec are Liberals and extreme Liberals lol. And one year from now is the federal election. So who knows? lol.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast