Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a can that makes 5.56/.223 hearing safe outside? Inside?

Feedback Score

Is there a can that makes 5.56/.223 hearing safe outside? Inside?

I want to suppress my 10.5in home defense pistol and know that if the need arises to use it I won't be in the mindset to throw on ear pro. Does there exist a can that would make it hearing safe since auditory exclusion only protects your senses for lack of a better explanation and not your hearing. Also at what distance on average does .223 go supersonic as my bump in the night plan involves a set of stairs no longer than 20 feet as a funnel and contact point. Failing that is there at least a can that will make it hearing safe outside? Third option. Do I just throw a 300BLK upper on it and suppress that?

Feedback Score
    Actual hearing safe...I doubt it

I would consider my sandman S indoors on my 10.5 bearable to break off a couple indoors but nothing sustained

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    None that I know of, especially out of a 10.5" barrel... may be possible if you throw on say a 338 caliber can.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'd rather fire a10.5" 5.56 indoors than an unsuppressed anything else. It may not be "hearing safe" but it will be far less damaging to the ears than firing an unsuppressed 16" AR. Less damaging than shooting an unsuppressed 9mm handgun.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I'd rather fire a10.5" 5.56 indoors than an unsuppressed anything else. It may not be "hearing safe" but it will be far less damaging to the ears than firing an unsuppressed 16" AR. Less damaging than shooting an unsuppressed 9mm handgun.
    I'm not sure exactly when it goes super, probably 3" from chamber would be my best guess.

Inside, no. No can will do that, the reflection of the crack is going to be all over the place, and over 140. Outside, you could get below 140 to the shooter..... but keep in mind 140 dB is an OSHA standard for impulse noises. It's not "safe" it's just not as dangerous.

But who cares... if it's for home defense you'll most likely (by a huge margin) never even shoot it. If you do, you aren't dumping mags and mags. It's going to wake you up, but it's a whole lot less damage than if it was unsuppressed. It's like saying "Well, I can cut your arm so you'll need a couple stitches, or I can just saw it entirely off." Both aren't good, but one is a whole lot worse.

Feedback Score
    IMO “hearing safe” is way overblown. Its not a job- OSHA isnt regulating your HD situation, and its rare/wont happen.

Choose the best gun, throw a silencer on it and your in a very good situation.
    140 isnt a line that anything under does no damage, and anything over will make you deaf.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think of it as "taking a cut" to keep from being victimized.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    But a suppressed 300BLK or 9mm upper isn't a bad idea, either.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    IMO “hearing safe” is way overblown. Its not a job- OSHA isnt regulating your HD situation, and its rare/wont happen.

Choose the best gun, throw a silencer on it and your in a very good situation.
    140 isnt a line that anything under does no damage, and anything over will make you deaf.
    Exactly. And we, as men, do loud stuff that exceeds the limits frequently in our lives, hammering on something, taking a quick cut on a powers saw, etc.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    And I've always thought I want a little jarring noise to shock the bad guys. I will know to expect it. Them, maybe not. But I don't want to shoot it without a can, and be shocked myself.

My 9mm sub guns would be awesome too.
    PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast