Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Request for 11.5" SBR Duty Ammo Recommendations.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    j

Solid. That’s what we use. And no accuracy problems per se. it’s not like it’s a 4 moa round or anything.

I just shot sub 2 inch groups using an Eotech from the hundred yard line (16” and 11.5”). I’ll take that any day.
    I averaged about 2MOA with the 5.56 version. Only 10 shot groups matter.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knorth View Post
    11.5" Suppressed rifles .... The manufacturer suggested we stay with 556 pressure loads if possible.
    Can you tell us what brand rifle and silencer? A regular AR with a silencer actually runs better with 223 ammo, while a suppressed size gas port runs so much better I question the choice to take it to the extreme of needing 5.56 pressure ammo.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Can you tell us what brand rifle and silencer? A regular AR with a silencer actually runs better with 223 ammo, while a suppressed size gas port runs so much better I question the choice to take it to the extreme of needing 5.56 pressure ammo.
    LMT CQB MARS 11.5” mid length with LMT Virtual Baffle System Suppressor flush mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    LMT CQB MARS 11.5” mid length with LMT Virtual Baffle System Suppressor flush mount.

Damn, what LEO agency are you with.....cause that's the one I want to join. LMT CQB MARS w/ LMT cans I assume, and the ability to hand pick the best duty load offered....yeah that's a no expense spared department right there. (no need to reply with what agency this is)

I'd be shocked to see a local LEO with a brand new MARS MRP

FWIW...I really like the BH's 50gr. TSX. It was designed for use in short barrels like the Hornady load, and has comparable training rounds for both the 50 and 62gr. varieties. M193 should match the 50gr. trajectory, and M855 should match the trajectory of the 62gr. loading.

All three are excellent choices. Also I'm not a LEO, so my opinion might not be of any use.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ahaaa thanks! I was given the green light to get good stuff. I also went with the Aimpoint T2 Micro and Surefire Mini Scout. I think I did pretty good. Thanks for the suggestions.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    You're part for part updating my HD rifle that was built prior to the MARS, T2, 11.5" MRP barrel option, and MLOK chassis.

I'll have to settle for mine with the T1, IWS lower, 10.5", and OG chassis until I can submit my resume to your agency

In all seriousness, I'd love to hear your thoughts down the road on your LMT setups with your ammo combo. I imagine you'll perform tests on everything once in hand? Talk about a perk of the job.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    You guys will be well off with that setup!
    Ahaaa thanks! I was given the green light to get good stuff. I also went with the Aimpoint T2 Micro and Surefire Mini Scout. I think I did pretty good. Thanks for the suggestions.

ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    11.5” mid length
    That is extreme. Is it designed only to be used with the silencer?

5.56 duty ammo that I know of.
    The TBBC as previously noted, Win 64gr solid base bonded Q3313, BH 50gr TSX, and Hornady 55gr GMX.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    We’ve previously issued 64 gr Gold Dot and currently use Federal XM223SP1 out of Colt M4’s with both 14.5” and 11.5” barrels. For training/quails we use a 62 gr OTM round supplies by Winchester. Nary an issue with any of these three. The Federal round using a bonded bullet but is otherwise on par with the Gold Dot. If given the option, I would be interested in testing the new 75 Gold Dot load.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I would recommend the 2 FBI loads since,you know they use 11.5" uppers themselves. The one you listed Federal 5.56 62gr TBBC XM556FBIT3 or the Winchester Ranger 5.56mm 64gr BSB RA556B are your best bet.

The 50gr TSX Optimized is also good but expensive, the 62gr TSX is also good but doesnt perform as well as the 50gr TSX thru auto glass.

I do NOT recommend the heavy 75gr Hornady SBR or Gold Dot for SBRs since they'll be going pretty slow out of an 11.5",they will still expand and perform well terminally but you will have a shit trajectory if you plan on shooting at distance.

Gold Dots in general run slow so I dont recommend them for SBR use.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 09-08-18 at 20:35.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast