Page 254 of 353 FirstFirst ... 154204244252253254255256264304 ... LastLast
Results 2,531 to 2,540 of 3523

Thread: (COVID/ETC CONTENT HERE) China Locks Down 11 Million in Wuhan,

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    The food situation to me is somewhat troubling. Wife just came home with a haul of food, but it is a bunch of crap. She was limited to two of anything, including any kind of 'bread' item. I'm for limiting people from hoarding, but how are you supposed to feed a family of four three meals a day for a week when you are limited in what you can by? Not going to starve, but bread or hot dog buns seems an odd. The problem is that even with the 'two item' rule, the store was out of most 'real' items. Want a snackable, ice cream sandwhiches, Pirate Booty or other crap, you are OK. Hamburger, chicken, eggs- not so much.

We were told that there was plenty of food, I'm throwing the BS card on that- and it is only going to get worse as you shut down take-home/delivery meals. Sure, I can que up every morning and hope to get in early enough to get what I need, Soviet style- but that isn't what we were told. I have plenty of food since I started stocking up back in January, but that is mostly frozen or dried goods. We are trying to eat what we buy and buy what we eat so that we have the reserve if things get even tighter.

The told us that the food wouldn't be an issue, but it is an issue- and that will make the hoarding worse, which makes the stocking issue worse. Do we need the NG out stocking shelves?

I also feel like the Supermarkets are moving all the old and low quality stuff they have in the warehouse. I got some onions last week that were complete crap.

I feel like I've been a week ahead of the curve on stuff, so next week when the bodies really start hitting the ER/ICUs and people start really dying, people who are now overlooking the supply situation will lose their crap. Plus, people not being able to pay for food, that too.

In the grand-scheme of things, I know, beats riding a landing craft to an Iwo JIma beach. I had a wonderful NY Strip steak with grilled brussel sprouts & onions with backed potato- but I didn't realize until I got home that the "sour cream" needed the quotation marks because as the last sour cream, it was actually soy cream.... that ain't right. And the only reason I bought steak was I couldn't get chicken or ground beef for burgers...

While we stocked early for TP and paper towels, we haven't bought any for a month. Eventually even those who planned ahead will run out. And I really don't want to have to sacrifice a hoarder on a funeral pyre made of paper goods to make an example of what happens to hoarders.
    You just have to make do right now and not be picky. There is plenty of food but you probably won’t be able to eat everything you normally would. If the worst of our troubles is having to heat up some frozen taquitos and use soy sour cream then we are doing alright.

The biggest reason stores are limiting purchases is because there are assholes out there who would buy 50 things of bread if you let them. Those types of runs have wrecked havoc on the supply chain and we have to have time for things to catch up again. If they limited things from the start we wouldn’t be in this situation we are in right now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Life's a Hillary View Post
    You just have to make do right now and not be picky. There is plenty of food but you probably won’t be able to eat everything you normally would. If the worst of our troubles is having to heat up some frozen taquitos and use soy sour cream then we are doing alright.

The biggest reason stores are limiting purchases is because there are assholes out there who would buy 50 things of bread if you let them. Those types of runs have wrecked havoc on the supply chain and we have to have time for things to catch up again. If they limited things from the start we wouldn’t be in this situation we are in right now.
    I know that, but that isn't what we were told. Plenty of food, wharehouses full of food- and empty shelves- with rationing. Plus, you can't ration like that and tell people to go to the grocery store once a week. Plus, we still aren't social distancing in public. I am a Law and Order Libertarian. Less laws, but follow them. This 'social distancing' we are doing now is an abject failure. It won't slow the spread, while at the same time it ruins the economy. Like I said, they are limiting purchases, but the shelves are bare of the real food items. That to me means that they are lying about the food supply situation and when everyone else gets the same idea, that is when things go sideways. If the supply isn't an issue, fill the shelves.

The 'smart guys' have been wrong about this since the start, and if this follows trends and we get 1000s or 10,000s of deaths in the US over the next 7-14 days, that is when people start to act less rational, and they aint pegging the rational meter right now. This is a fairly easy disease to deal with. It isn't the bogey man, let alone a bobbayega, but it will bite us in the ass and screw the economy if we half ass steps. We need full ass right now, and half assers are starting to piss me off. The problem is that the stupidity is de-linked from the dying.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by P2Vaircrewman View Post
    I am interested in the results of this trial. I presently take 100mg of losartan daily for high BP.
    Losartan is a generic blood-pressure medication that some scientists are hoping could help patients with COVID-19. The University of Minnesota has launched two clinical trials using the inexpensive, generic drug. The first would evaluate whether losartan can prevent multi-organ failure in those hospitalized with COVID-19 pneumonia. The second would evaluate if the drug can prevent hospitalizations in the first place, Reuters reported.

Losartan works by blocking a receptor, or doorway into cells that the chemical called angiotensin II uses to enter the cells and raise blood pressure. SARS-CoV-2 binds to the angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) receptor, and it's possible, the thinking goes, that because losartan might block those receptors, it may prevent the virus from infecting cells.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04312009
    While others indicate it may make covid effects worse.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0323101354.htm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    The problem is that the stupidity is de-linked from the dying.
    Best thing I’ve read all day

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Interesting Read on the inaccurate data...

https://thefederalist.com/2020/03/25...sed-lockdowns/
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Life's a Hillary View Post

What we've been seeing for 1.5 weeks (Georgia):
    - Bulk sizes of pretty much anything sold out (party chips to paper towels)
    - Even if available, it may be the small 8oz peanut butter when you'd normally buy the big one
    - Your favorite brand sold out, but you may be able to get the brand no one likes
    - You want canned veggies for a recipe, what you need is all gone. But you can get the veg-all with carrots and butter beans that no one likes.
    - Chicken, all gone. Beef/Pork, most of the stuff you'd want gone. (usually some pork ribs). But plenty of seafood.
    - Convenience frozen food (pizza, tv dinners, etc, all gone

we won't starve. Some things no impact. Others, you eat your gruel and be happy you have some. I've had colby cheese on an italian pasta dish as there was no proper cheese. Actually was not bad!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    What we've been seeing for 1.5 weeks (Georgia):
    - Bulk sizes of pretty much anything sold out (party chips to paper towels)
    - Even if available, it may be the small 8oz peanut butter when you'd normally buy the big one
    - Your favorite brand sold out, but you may be able to get the brand no one likes
    - You want canned veggies for a recipe, what you need is all gone. But you can get the veg-all with carrots and butter beans that no one likes.
    - Chicken, all gone. Beef/Pork, most of the stuff you'd want gone. (usually some pork ribs). But plenty of seafood.
    - Convenience frozen food (pizza, tv dinners, etc, all gone

we won't starve. Some things no impact. Others, you eat your gruel and be happy you have some. I've had colby cheese on an italian pasta dish as there was no proper cheese. Actually was not bad!
    I’ve only gone out a couple times, once for frozen food my kid would eat and once for perishables. Frozen food was a success at Whole Foods (though expensive). I couldn’t be choosy, the freezers were picked over but I was able to get plenty of kid friendly cuisine. The other time I was able to find bread, eggs, milk, etc. Some of it wasn’t the kind that I would normally buy but it worked.

Grocery stores around here have most things available, though you probably won’t find exactly everything you want (toilet paper is still difficult to come by from what I hear) and they are limiting the number of people in the stores at one time to allow for distancing. Sure there’s a line out the store but it moves reasonably quick and no one bitches too much (there’s always one). You have store workers disinfecting each cart and generally things are running smooth.

Maybe I just live somewhere that has good store management but while it’s inconvenient I don’t feel like I’m going to have an issue getting food when I need it. I’ve heard curbside is working pretty well too though you have to reserve a spot out like a week in advance.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post

Yep.
    The make believe line of capacity magically being over the flattening peak has been around since the start.

And I don’t know who is doing the models predicting numbers I come up with for the entire country worst case.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post

Uhm, that article's data doesn't really say that what I think the authors or people are realizing.

In New York, Covid Act Now claimed nearly 5,400 New Yorkers would’ve been hospitalized by March 19. The actual number of hospitalizations is around 750. The site also claimed nearly 13,000 New York hospitalizations by March 23. The actual number was around 2,500.
    So they are idiots, right, off thousands!! The problem is that with the progression on these, that isn't that bad. The right way to analyze those number isn't if they match up with the amount of cases, but the day that they said it would happen. From the 19th to the 23rd there was a 4X increase in hospitalizations.... That should scare the bejesus out of you. Since the efforts to contain it won't be felt for another couple of weeks. 4X that 2500 a few times before the rather small efforts to curb it take effect.

It isn't the disease, it's our lack of resources to treat it. We have a bucket to bail our boat. A small leak we can deal with a big hole and we sink. It isn't that 10% of the population will die, it is that 10,000s could die that could have been saved.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Page 254 of 353 FirstFirst ... 154204244252253254255256264304 ... LastLast