Thread: MLOK Screw Issue

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

MLOK Screw Issue

Can someone please explain to me why nearly every MLOK accessory on the market doesn't use a flat head, tapered head screw?

Seems to me this would eliminate any play in all 3 degrees of freedom and give the mount self centering wedge action like keymod/picatinny.
    Last edited by scottryan; 09-03-18 at 21:23.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

My guess it would damage the rail eventually?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Why wound it damage the rail? It wouldn’t even touch the rail.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    While it would seem to be a better beast, the material involved and the people cranking attachments down may cause concern for ripping through the material. It is the only thing I can think of. Otherwise, your concept seems to make loads of sense.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Well have at it and report back. Seems more valuable then querying online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Can someone please explain to me why nearly every MLOK accessory on the market doesn't use a flat head, tapered head screw?

Seems to me this would eliminate any play in all 3 degrees of freedom and give the mount self centering wedge action like keymod/picatinny.
    Because the tapered screwhead would be centering on the MLOK accessory and not the rail. Remember that the screw hole is in the backing nut that is flat against the inside face of the rail which is also flat. You would just be centering the backing nut to the hole on the accessory which is a relative position and of no benefit. The locating feature of MLOK are the lugs that should be spaced the same as the slots. The KMOD has the tapered nut against the tapered inside of the rail which would center it to the rail. Hope that makes sense in words because I can't draw the pictures that are in my head.
    Last edited by crosseyedshooter; 09-04-18 at 23:11.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by crosseyedshooter View Post
    Because the tapered screwhead would be centering on the MLOK accessory and not the rail. Remember that the screw hole is in the backing nut that is flat against the inside face of the rail which is also flat. You would just be centering the backing nut to the hole on the accessory which is a relative position and of no benefit. The locating feature of MLOK are the lugs that should be spaced the same as the slots. The KMOD has the tapered nut against the tapered inside of the rail which would center it to the rail. Hope that makes sense in words because I can't draw the pictures that are in my head.

The rail doesn't center the accessory in MLOK. The clearance between the recoil lugs on the backside of the accessory and MLOK slot has play. The screw holes in the accessory have play in between the holes and screw.

There are MLOK accessories on the market that use tapered head screws, just not many.