Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Star BM - Anyone have any experience with these?

Feedback Score
    My first semi auto pistol was a BKM in the mid 80s

I have one of the recent BMs and some extra mags.

I got a semi fitted IWB leather holster off eBay and some mag pouches.

My BKM reliably fed ball and silvertips.

I have only shot fmj through the bm I recently got.

They are cheap fun. A slim, compact single stack 1911 like 9mm was not all that dated or preposterous 35 years ago.

Sights, ergonomics, easy takedown, easy parts obtainability, etc. of more modern offerings that are similar sized have definitely made these a less than optimal carry choice.

But because they are fun to shoot and play with at the range go for it,
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m4brian View Post
    An slternatve is a CZ compact. Same size lighter weight and 14 round mags.

I passed one beauty of a BM up several years ago. Too bad.
    I was considering one of these: http://www.jgsales.com/cz-75-compact...-p-101868.html

I just couldn't see $400.00 bucks - plus I've already reworked 2 surplus CZ's a 75 and an 85 and I don't think 3/4″ shorter length and 1/2" less height is that compact.

Although, in a couple months if they are still there......
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    They are cheap fun. A slim, compact single stack 1911 like 9mm was not all that dated or preposterous 35 years ago.
    But because they are fun to shoot and play with at the range go for it,
    Thanks, kind of what I thought. I'm kind of hoping my wife likes it.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I finally just couldn't help myself and ordered one of these things from J&G Sales. I ordered it at 11:00AM today and got the shipping notification at 6:05PM.

So, as the title says, looking for anyone with any experience with these things.

I know they don't make them anymore, and that some parts are scarce. I also know about the firing pins. I almost bought a second one for parts, but didn't want to press my luck with the wife. She is skeptical that I actually bought it for her to shot when I shoot my 1911's.

Does anyone have a secret source for parts aside from SARCO and Numrich?

I will also need a holster, because every gun needs a holster, even if it is a safe queen plinker.

Thanks.
    They're fun little pistols for sure.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I had a Star BM and I loved it. It was accurate and reliable and very easy shooting.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I had one for a few years. It was a little finicky with certain hollow points but ran anything ball I had. Fun little gun, sometimes I regret selling but I made a decent profit.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    They have notoriously soft sears; I would avoid these and if I had to own one, I'd have a Smith check it out.

Feedback Score
    I like the Star 1911 type pistols, but parts are just to hard to find as you can see by this list of available parts: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...r/star/bm-star My advice is to save up more money and buy a Sig 938.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
    I like the Star 1911 type pistols, but parts are just to hard to find as you can see by this list of available parts: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...r/star/bm-star My advice is to save up more money and buy a Sig 938.
    They've been out of production for 25ish years, so I knew going in parts would be scarce. I'm compiling a list of parts sources, including a couple of machinists who will replicate parts to keep them running.

The Star BM is more Colt Commander-sized, the Sig is more Colt Mustang-sized. I buy surplus guns so I can refinish them, not use them for carry.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    If your Machinists can write the programs to CNC parts out I do think you will have a market. I have a friend who would like to get his repaired as the hammer will not catch sometimes on the sear and I know he would pay for parts for his.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast