Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will this crack in the magazine cause a problem?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    On a Pmag and g.i. mag that spot contacts the shoulder of the case to turn the bullet to the center of the feedramp. I don't have a Lanver to play with.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    On a Pmag and g.i. mag that spot contacts the shoulder of the case to turn the bullet to the center of the feedramp. I don't have a Lanver to play with.
    Hmmmm I will have to take another closer look. I was always thinking the veer to center was from the bullet meeting the feed ramp(s). Never thought about the magazine playing a role in that.

Feedback Score
    What does it matter? The mag is broken. I wouldn't trust it ever again except maybe as a malfunction drill mag. It's toast.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    What does it matter? The mag is broken. I wouldn't trust it ever again except maybe as a malfunction drill mag. It's toast.
    Morbid curiosity. May not work, but we won't be any dumber by finding out. Honestly never saw that one happen before.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Gut it and fill case with silicone, etc and use for vise.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG19919 View Post
    Will this cause any problems? If it breaks off (or I break it off) will that give me any problems?

Rip the piece off, and keep shooting with it. If it doesn't work, you get to try your malfunction clearance drills. It isn't a big deal, I would mark it and use it as a range mag personally. I have a few polymer mags that are cracked down the front, and a few cracked down the spine.

Mags are disposable items (as already mentioned). If you are really tight for money, you could always contact Lancer and see if they will replace it.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Money is tight, but I'm pretty set on mags. I'll break off that piece (don't want it ending up in some crevice of my FCG or worse, my chamber/barrel) and use it as a training mag. If it feeds, it'll still be a training mag. If it's toast, at least I'll have a spare spring, follower, and baseplate.

I'm a little bummed because I got 5x Lancers for my birthday to use in a carbine course. I literally took it out of the packaging just before I left for the course and 2 days later I'm down to 4x Lancer mags. But a $17 mag isn't worth a stoppage or breakage of the rifle.

It'll be a while before I get out to the range to test it out, but I'll let you guys know what happens. I appreciate the advice.

Side note, how do y'all post pictures in large format like that? I pasted the imgur link into the M4C "from URL" bar and it told me the link was invalid.
    Last edited by MWAG19919; 09-10-18 at 17:44.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Unless you used it as a bottle opener I think contacting them about replacement is fair and may be something they need to know about.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Looks like it hit the ground right at the corner. I guess the whole metal feed lips take drops better doesnt account for the other parts of the mag

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Looks like it hit the ground right at the corner. I guess the whole metal feed lips take drops better doesnt account for the other parts of the mag
    Call me paranoid, but I don't trust plastic mags all that much. GI mags with anti tilt followers are reliable, and don't chip or crack when they hit the ground.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast