Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What 30mm AR mount?

Feedback Score
    I’m in the same boat, are the Vortex or DNZ mounts any good??

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    Joining for the intell and have a question hopefully does not sway to far from the OP original topic

I am a complete rookie in this area

I was resistant to red dot after they hit the market and then bit the bullet.

I want to try an LPVO (looking at Leupold VX-R 1.25 to 4 and Steiner PX4 1-4) but will want a QD mount.

I have no real time behind a scope and want to buy the right height/eye relief/offset mount the first time.

I have been proned out for a while using a 1/3rd co-witnessed red dot and the ol neck got fatigued very quickly.

is there a guide or direction for someone who is oversized (6'03" 275) to get the correct mount the first time?

This will not be a duty rifle (initially), but will play the role of training/instruction and home defense/truck gun.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    Joining for the intell and have a question hopefully does not sway to far from the OP original topic

I am a complete rookie in this area

I was resistant to red dot after they hit the market and then bit the bullet.

I want to try an LPVO (looking at Leupold VX-R 1.25 to 4 and Steiner PX4 1-4) but will want a QD mount.

I have no real time behind a scope and want to buy the right height/eye relief/offset mount the first time.

I have been proned out for a while using a 1/3rd co-witnessed red dot and the ol neck got fatigued very quickly.

is there a guide or direction for someone who is oversized (6'03" 275) to get the correct mount the first time?

This will not be a duty rifle (initially), but will play the role of training/instruction and home defense/truck gun.
    How often will you be prone? I think its really a trade off so it depends on how much time you'll spend shooting in different positions. To me, 1.93 is superior in just about every instance, as long as you're willing to deal with some discomfort when prone for a while. Better than discomfort from scrunching too hard in every other position IMO. No experience with 2.04 yet. Also, FYI, the Vipers recently got a price drop and are not much more than the P4Xi now.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    We were training a huge class of cadets on patrol rifle that time.

We were at a 150 yds and I stayed down on the prone for quite a while.

We are losing that range in the near future.... so mainly standing up with short periods of positional changes.

just for my knowledge.... is 1.93 taller than iron sight height from the rail?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

What 30mm AR mount?

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    ...just for my knowledge.... is 1.93 taller than iron sight height from the rail?
    Yes. That’s tall enough to sneak a peq2a under the objective end of the optic. Which if I’m not mistaken is the main reason that mount height even exists.

Honestly I sincerely doubt your height should have any definable impact on your mount height. While the shape and size of your head could conceivably require a different height, chances are that if you have the proper foundation, your eye will be in the same position on the stock relative to the optic as it is on me at 5’9”.

With a magnified optic(even a low power one,) the importance of consistent and comfortable cheek weld to help minimize parallax and impact shift is even more important than on a red dot(where it is still important, but some say that they find benefit in lifting it for speed.)

So in my opinion, get the normal mount, unless you have identified a real need to tuck a longer accessory under it...in which case maybe look into modern lasers instead...the peq2 is awesome and powerful and if you’re a civilian who found one and likes having a full power laser that’s fine...but if you’re thinking practically or law enforcement? How often are you going to direct air assets or engage beyond 200yards?
    Last edited by thopkins22; 01-19-19 at 12:58.

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    I run Geissele 1.93 or 2.04 mounts on everything where I will be doing a significant amount of shooting that isn't prone. They work extremely well for this purpose, which is why these heights were developed, as well as being able to clear the PEQ15/LA-5. I run Geissele 1.54 height mounts on guns where I will be prone 75 or more percent of the time.

QD mounts that I have used in the past include LaRue, ADM, and Midwest Industries. Of the three, my preference was for the MI, due to the QD system that they use. Steve Fisher from Sentinel Concepts has had very good things to say about them and I trust his endorsement. Granted he is a good friend of mine, but his comments have been good nonetheless. The only LaRue I have left sits on a MK12 inspired clone.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    this will be a simple Sionics lightweight 16" with fold down Magpul Pros and a maybe a Surefire X300 1000 lumen at 12 oclock.

No laser is in my immediate future.

I am over 55 and the eyes are not working great with red dot. I doubt I will go beyond 200 as my ranges are limited. I am finding it difficult these days to see distance and up close and constantly changing glasses. I hate biofocals.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by drtywk View Post
    I run Geissele 1.93 or 2.04 mounts on everything where I will be doing a significant amount of shooting that isn't prone. They work extremely well for this purpose, which is why these heights were developed, as well as being able to clear the PEQ15/LA-5. I run Geissele 1.54 height mounts on guns where I will be prone 75 or more percent of the time.
    excellant info. thanks

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I had a standard ADM for about a year while testing the LPVO concept. I'm only 6" but after trying it for a while, I noticed that I had to shrug my shoulders and scrunch my neck a bit more to get into position. Not to mention, I felt a little bit slower. The 1.93 mount has rectified that for me which is why I kind of want to try the 2.04."
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Do not use anything with vertically split rings.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast