Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Dad's 1903 Springfield

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

My Dad's 1903 Springfield - Updated

My Dad bought a sporterized (barrel bands removed and stock cut down) 1903 over 50 years ago and then someone removed the rear sight and collar to install a "no drill" scope mount. They also ground on the bolt handle and safety for scope clearance. It was not well done.

My Dad wanted it returned to a military configuration, so I volunteered. I found a used GI stock and hunted down the missing pieces. Its not correct, for sure, but it looks like a military rifle again if you squint really hard.

It was made at Springfield Armory in 1921, rebuilt, then surplused and sporterized.

I will knock down some of the shine on the stock before I give it to him.

Andy

Ir4rFIc.jpg
    Last edited by AndyLate; 08-17-21 at 07:20.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Nice job.
    A bud has one he shoots in some type of Military Rifles match.
    His has a “two groove” barrel that actually shoots pretty well. I believe that was a wartime expedient.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I like the way it looks. Nice job.

I own a few Springfield's and shoot old rifles in a vintage rifle match once a month. Send me a PM if you want a recipe for a light load that doesn't kick like a mule.
    Last edited by T2C; 08-01-21 at 07:12.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I took it to the range this morning. It does thump a little.

Andy

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Felt recoil is a bit stout with a straight stock.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I took it to the range this morning. It does thump a little.

Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    Felt recoil is a bit stout with a straight stock.
    Outstanding, I have a 1903A3 and their great rifles. I have been looking for a 1903 but haven't really found one yet. Yea they have some push for sure. I had one of those slip-on recoil pads on mine when I 1st got it & made the mistake of posting a picture with that on it,, I was shamed off the internet by the traditionalists, LOL Not really but it came off immediately after that post, LOL! Congrats on bringing back a beautiful old rifle!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    That's cool, man...Nice work! It always makes me smile to see a sporterized rifle returned to mil condition.

And besides, 03's are just awesome. Your dad's gonna love it!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Looks good.

I did the same with my great uncles 1917 that was in about the same condition except luckily the rear sight was in tact and there were no permanent mods to anything except the cut down stock.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Update - I am home on vacation for my parent's 60th anniversary. When I handed it to my Dad, he said "It looks great, keep it." I'm still floored.

Then he asked me if I got my M1 Garand yet (I'm still waiting for the CMP Stores to open). When I said no, he said "Well I am keeping mine". He has a great sense of humor and timing lol.

I cleaned all (most) of the cosmoline off his M1 yesterday and will start putting a finish on the stock today.

Andy

P.S. I detail stripped the 1903 and have assembled ARs from scratch, but there are a LOT of parts in an M1.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 08-17-21 at 07:59.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    P.S. I detail stripped the 1903 and have assembled ARs from scratch, but there are a LOT of parts in an M1.
    Lot of parts, lots of complex machining...All done by master craftsmen using manual equipment and hand tools.

It's still mind boggling to me that they made those rifles in the volume that they did. Amazing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast