Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6,8 SPC and 6.5 Gredel

Feedback Score

6,8 SPC and 6.5 Gredel

New guy to the forum and AR's in general. Have had a Bushmaster V match for many years, just don't shoot it much, primarily because it's setup for long range shooting with a 4X14 scope.
    Nearest 300 yard range is 100 miles from home so I only get there once or twice a year. We have a 200 yard outdoor range about 40 miles away and numerous 25 yard indoor ranges,
    As a result I popped for a DDM4 V5 with a Trijicon 1X4 Accupower for use at those facilities.

In my neck of the woods .223's are illegal to use for deer hunting and my 30/06 or 30/30 have been doing the job for the last 45 years but I'm getting the bug to use this setup on next years hunt.
    I've read a good deal about the 6.8 SPC, which DD makes an upper for, and the 6.5 Grendel, which they don't. Anyone out there using the 6.8 for deer?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    My son and I have shot a few deer with both and the .300 All will do the job, keeping range, bullet selection and marksmanship in mind. You have to ask what you want the gun to do and is it worth the money to have something just for hunting. You can search all about ballistics, shooting long range target(s) etc. and decide what caliber will fit the bill, each one has it's oddities, advantages and disadvantages. Be mindful of the information you read as some folks are very biased and feed you want they want you to hear.

Having said that if you want my opinion, save your money and use what you've been using. If you are dead set on one or the other, keep it in perspective and don't have 2-2.5k tied up in something that gets used for that few short weeks. Yeah, sure you can use your 6.whazoo for other things but do you really need it? Again, both good calibers and I cleared out all of my alternate calibers, 5.56 and .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor for the bolt gun(those obsolete thingy's)
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brutus51 View Post
    New guy to the forum and AR's in general. Have had a Bushmaster V match for many years, just don't shoot it much, primarily because it's setup for long range shooting with a 4X14 scope.
    Nearest 300 yard range is 100 miles from home so I only get there once or twice a year. We have a 200 yard outdoor range about 40 miles away and numerous 25 yard indoor ranges,
    As a result I popped for a DDM4 V5 with a Trijicon 1X4 Accupower for use at those facilities.

In my neck of the woods .223's are illegal to use for deer hunting and my 30/06 or 30/30 have been doing the job for the last 45 years but I'm getting the bug to use this setup on next years hunt.
    I've read a good deal about the 6.8 SPC, which DD makes an upper for, and the 6.5 Grendel, which they don't. Anyone out there using the 6.8 for deer?
    After doing some research I went with 6.5 Grendel, and ordered a complete upper from LaRue. https://www.larue.com/products/larue...-15-upper-kit/

I went with the Grendel because it out performs 6.8 at longer ranges, Grendel ammo is more prevalent, and LaRue doesn't offer a complete upper in 6.8.

http://abesguncave.com/6-5-grendel-v...unting-combat/
    https://airbornecombatengineer.typep...ndel_vs_6.html
    Last edited by TexHill; 02-10-19 at 09:48.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Well, you don't do things halfway, do you? Should be a great upper.

I was interested in a 6.x AR for a while and never pulled the trigger, so to speak. I did post a question about them which brought out a lot of passion in people

It seems the 6.5 G is pulling ahead of the 6.8 in popularity, but either would be a good choice as a hunting round. I do like the idea of more hunters running ARs in the woods.

Andy

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    6.5 Grendel is my pick and is becoming more and more popular with more manufacturers offering complete rifles, uppers and ammo. If you reload, Lapua offers brass and there more suitable bullets available in this caliber. No experience with the 6.8 but in the .300 I’d stick to 110 gr. Barnes at supersonic velocities.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I run a 6.8 spc I built and it is treating me well.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I chose the 6.8 roughly 8 years ago, and it's worked out well. I haven't used it on deer yet, but I wouldn't hesitate at all to put it in that role.

If I were making the decision today for an all purpose 16" carbine, I'd choose the 6.8 again. If it were to be be used more in an 18" precision role (with more payload than 5.56), I'd choose 6.5 Grendel.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The 300 BLK would be cheapest, needing only a barrel change. Could easily replace a 30-30 for hunting.

If you are interested in longish range (target) shooting then the 6.5 looks better.

If mainly for hunting the 6.8 has more hunting bullet loads.

The 6.5 and 6.8 have about the same responsible hunting range. Both work well on medium game with good bullet design. The 6.5 ballistics are better at longer range, but it's honestly beyond what you should be hunting at.

There are regional differences in what is more available on the shelf. If this matters to you scout your local stores first, but both can be easily found online.

Feedback Score
    I've been using my 6.8 to hunt with for about 5 years. I looked at 300 BO and 308 when I purchased. The black out had a limited range and a quality 308 was out of the budget. For where I hunt and the conditions the 6.8 choice was clear, really comes down to preference.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I do get the allure of going away from bolt guns I did a couple of years ago will never shoot one again. I shoot a 7.62x39 AR suppressed it's such a pleasure vs bolt gun recoil and this old fart loves it! There are guys on the lease using 450 bushmaster, 300WM, 30-06, 308, 6.5 CM, 6.5G, 270, 12g slugs, .223 and I think one guy is using a 30-30 on occasion. 1 deer lost all season a young kid gut shot a doe in the swamp all the rest in the freezer. Have fun rifle shopping remember the correct number of firearms to own is always n + 1
    Last edited by sasquatchoslav; 02-11-19 at 06:38.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast