Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: CORVID-19 Preps?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    So you get zero mail and have zero doctors appointments
    I don't have a street address, just a map reference number, that's why I never see a postman. I have a post office box which I hardly ever use these days as I have email. I will be Donald ducked if I need a doctor if I'm seriously unwell or injured and will just have to cross that bridge if and when I ever come to it.

I've been working on my preps for many years

Just to give you an idea of what it's like where I live....

Last edited by Mick Boon; 02-20-20 at 15:03.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Boon View Post
    Preparing for a COVID 19 outbreak is much the same as preparing for any other SHTF scenario.
    Yep. My preparation for the coming COVID-19 outbreak is exactly the same as my preparation for SHTF scenario.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Here are some potentially useful links to info regarding respiratory protection.

I am not an expert about these things, and am not qualified to offer anyone advice. But I was an end user of a relatively wide spectrum of respiratory protection for a couple of decades, so that is my perspective.

Like any other piece of gear, if you decide to use respiratory protection read the instructions, make sure you understand how to properly use it, and practice with it before you actually need it.

US CDC Webpage for "N95 Day" - lots of useful info about N95 masks
    https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/n95day.html

CDC/NIOSH Fact Sheets: The "Fact Sheets" are nice summaries that are a quick read.

Guide to Air Purifying Respirators
    https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2018-...IOSHPUB2018176

FAQ about Respiratory Protection, Respirator Reuse and Extended Use
    https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2018-...IOSHPUB2018128

FAQ about Respiratory Protection, Fit Testing
    https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2018-...IOSHPUB2018129

FAQ about Respiratory Protection, User Seal Check
    https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2018-...IOSHPUB2018130

NIOSH-Approved Particulate Filtering Facepiece Respirators
    https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topi...t/default.html

3M Novel Coronavirus Outbreak webpage
    https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/worker-h...7-83096cdb4113

3m Technical Bulletin February, 2020Revision 2 Possible Alternatives to Surgical N95 Respirators (in the UnitedStates and Canada): Healthcare
    https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...l-bulletin.pdf

An interesting portion (in bold, near bottom of page 1): "All certified N95 or higher-rated particulate respirators can filter airborne biological particles such as viruses and bacteria."

3M Respiratory Protection FAQ: Healthcare
    https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...healthcare.pdf

Interesting section (bottom of page 2, top of page 3):

Do I need a surgical respirator?
    Surgical respirators are typically designed to be fluid-resistant to splash and splatter of blood and other bodily fluids. They are intended to be worn by healthcare professionals during procedures in which a blood vessel might be punctured resulting in a high velocity stream of blood. In contrast, liquid-droplet aerosols, such as those generated by coughs and sneezes, are capturable by the particulate filter in certified filtering facepiece respirators. Surgical respirators also do not have exhalation valves or have specially designed shrouded exhalation valves. Surgical respirators are designed without exhalation valves because there is concern that any bacteria or viruses expelled from the wearer may travel through the exhalation valve and enter the surrounding environment, such as a sterile field during surgery, potentially exposing other people. (italics added) Many tasks performed by healthcare workers – such as patient intake and non-emergency patient evaluation – are highly unlikely to generate high-pressure streams of liquid or be conducted in a sterile field. For workers performing such tasks, a primary potential hazard to consider is airborne viruses and bacteria, such as those generated by coughs and sneezes, which are effectively filtered by N95 respirator. Therefore, if a health care facility is prioritizing respirator use they may want to consider prioritizing use of surgical respirators for those health care workers performing surgery or other tasks that may expose them to high pressure streams of bodily fluid or conduct work in a sterile field. In times of limited supply health care facilities may want to consider use of non-medical N95 respirators for other tasks.

3M Particulate Respirators 8612F and 8670F for Use by the General Public in Public Health Medical Emergencies
    https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...ntly-asked.pdf

Interesting section (bottom of page 1, top of page 2):

How do the 8612F and 8670F FDA-cleared [for general public use] respirators differ from other N95 respirators?

The 8612F and 8670F N95 respirators are unique because they have also been cleared by the FDA for use by the public during a public health medical emergency, such as an influenza pandemic. The FDA outlined special controls for respirators used by the general public in public health medical emergencies* in order to provide reasonable assurance of their safety and effectiveness when used by the general public.

As part of the clearance process established by the FDA, manufacturers must provide additional information beyond the filtration & breathability information typically required as part of the NIOSH certification process including:

•An assessment of fit in an untrained population (how well the respirator seals to the face of the fit test panel participants)
    •Testing of product components to help avoid adverse skin reactions
    •Package labeling and user instructions specifically designed to communicate the information needed by consumers to understand the role of respirators in a public health medical emergency as well as how to use the respirator properly.

3M is also providing additional training materials developed for the general public on our website www.my3MN95.com.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Yep. My preparation for the coming COVID-19 outbreak is exactly the same as my preparation for SHTF scenario.
    True, but with extra alcohol sanitizer and liquid soap :-) plus maybe a few extra N95 single use masks on hand should the need arise

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Mike_f post above is a good resource.

For anyone who thinks there’s magical medical-versions of N95 rated masks, there’s not. The filtration of particulate matter is the same; the only difference is SOME surgical rated N95 masks comply with ASTM F1862 for direct fluid spray.

For flexing on poors with N95 masks...

Avon FM53 with Dräger PAPR, 3M 701 40mm to Bayonet-Adapters, Black in Color:

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post

For anyone who thinks there’s magical medical-versions of N95 rated masks, there’s not. The filtration of particulate matter is the same; the only difference is SOME surgical rated N95 masks comply with ASTM F1862 for direct fluid spray.

You are missing a hazmat suit, and even then there are no guarantees.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Neat.

I’ll go lick some doorknobs in Chinatown and tell ‘em Mick Boon told me there’s no guarantees

You are missing a hazmat suit, and even then there are no guarantees.

Feedback Score
    Neat.

I’ll go lick some doorknobs in Chinatown and tell ‘em Mick Boon told me there’s no guarantees
    That makes perfect sense

Feedback Score
    I don't have a street address, just a map reference number, that's why I never see a postman. I have a post office box which I hardly ever use these days as I have email. I will be Donald ducked if I need a doctor if I'm seriously unwell or injured and will just have to cross that bridge if and when I ever come to it.

I've been working on my preps for many years

Just to give you an idea of what it's like where I live....

OMG....Desolation row !

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast