Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me build a .308 AR

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Reply from Noveske:
    We use the straight slant receiver and they are compatible with Knights and DPMS accessories like handguards and what not. I’m not overly familiar with Larue or Daniel rifles but they are likely on the same pattern. The thing is I’m not sure if a DD or Knights upper will be compatible with our lower. They appear that they would work but the AR-10 platform is not as standardized as the AR-15. For instance the pivot pins may be off or something like that. That’s why we sell our N6 receivers as a matched set. Then you should be able to build it out with DMPS pattern parts. -Matt

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Good feedback here, another guy that has built many AR10's is ROBERTTHETEXAN, you might want to PM him and get feedback. I have "put together" 3 AR10's but all with LMT parts. You might consider buying a complete upper if you can find one. Many folks like the challenge, thats not me but good luck.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Pappabear that’s probably what I’ll end up doing. I got a stripped Larue lower and I’ll probably eventually do their upper kit builder. I just don’t want their polymer and all the other crap Larue makes you buy. If Noveske had had their receiver combos in stock I would have bought those.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have built my own SR-25 (with very few cheats) and a couple of AR10s (one for me. One for a family member). I am not going to lie and call myself an expert but to quote Tommy Lasorda “if I can do it. You can do it”

First of all, it is MUCH easier to save and buy one. These suckers are not anywhere near as one size fits all like an AR15.

Second, DPMS is bad. Aero is meh. I only use genuine Armalite AR-10 stuff. AR-10A specifically. For very good reason, the AR-10A is the absolute closest thing dimensionally you will get to the original AR-10 without going full KAC or LMT. High shelf DPMS and Aero have their own dimensional quirls that I absolutely do not mess with. The BCG matters and the Armalite is the best one. No I don’t think they are at all interchangeable.

The blessing and curse of Armalite is that while some stuff isn’t as interchangeable as DPMS, it is also what keeps it within a specific standard of fitment.

I will tell you now that handguards will be somewhat limited for AR10 receivers but there are a few hacks you can do but what is available is still good. PRI makes a handguard specific to Armalite as does JP enterprises

You will want a V7 barrel, however.

I recommend this.

https://www.vsevenweaponsystems.com/...-barrel-20-in/

They make an 18 inch one too. I will tell you that you VERY MUCH want to keep a rifle gas for your gun. I have two SR-25 ECCs and one is storebrought the other is homemade and both are rifle gas for a reason.

You can do carbine gas AR10 and it will function but you won’t really like it. Remember, everything is more severe with the heavier caliber.

Also you will want Go-No Go gauges. They will save your life.

Then just get as many pmags as you can and live your life. You can also use KACs and Larues in your AR-10.

I am very finicky about my stuff. I love the AR10. It’s what the gun was meant to be.

You can make them pretty accurate but at its heart it is the last great battle rifle.
    I will also take a moment to openly denounce FALs and G3s. I give M-14s sort of a pass but they suck too.

Anyways we’ve had the only right answer since the 1950s. Enjoy your journey into the world of AR10s. It’s very comfy.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I wanted to avoid the potential headaches of build a 308, so I bought one. Admittedly I missed the mark and bought a Savage MSR10. It was new at the time and no one really knew anything about them.

Long story short: Savage doesn't have real gun smiths; they have gun builders. It went back to the factory like 4 times and they tried all sorts of shit to make it a semi auto. After a year of this BS; I finally broke down and took it too a real gun smith. They did their magic and in two weeks and $250 later I finally had a real working semi auto MSR10. Ironically what started out as a shooting nightmare has turned into a shooting dream. I now have an 8 pound; 18" 6.5 CM that is sub moa, and has chugged through the last 700 rounds without any drama.

If I had to do it all over again.... I'd probably buy a build kit from Larue. Or I would get a DD. I have actually seen a few of those in my AO and they are sweet for a 308.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAMBONE View Post
    Pappabear that’s probably what I’ll end up doing. I got a stripped Larue lower and I’ll probably eventually do their upper kit builder. I just don’t want their polymer and all the other crap Larue makes you buy. If Noveske had had their receiver combos in stock I would have bought those.
    Sounds like you figured out what you want. I liked the challenge of building and tuning my AR.308. It now runs very well, but under 300 rounds through it so far.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't know why anyone would consider building a .308 AR that's not the Larue Upper Kit anymore. For $1400 or whatever they sell for, it's a no brainer. I built one for a coworker before Christmas. It went together without issue, runs great, and is accurate enough. There's no worries about parts compatibility.

You already have the lower. Buy the upper kit and move on with your life.

If you want professional grade, buy a KAC, LMT, OBR, or HK. But for $1400, the Upper Kits are unbeatable.

Feedback Score
    I’m in agreement with the LaRue upper. I don’t know if they charge now for assembling the upper but that used to be free. They used to have an option for aero lowers but now I think it’s just SR25. They finally offer MLOK now. If I were going to get another 308 AR it would be the LaRue kit. For a battle rifle or hog gun I would run the predatAR barrel for the weight savings. I’m not crazy in their furniture but oh well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
    I don't know why anyone would consider building a .308 AR that's not the Larue Upper Kit anymore. For $1400 or whatever they sell for, it's a no brainer. I built one for a coworker before Christmas. It went together without issue, runs great, and is accurate enough. There's no worries about parts compatibility.

You already have the lower. Buy the upper kit and move on with your life.

If you want professional grade, buy a KAC, LMT, OBR, or HK. But for $1400, the Upper Kits are unbeatable.
    Because some folks like the challenge of assembling and getting an AR.308 to run well. Some are also looking for a better barrel than the Larue offers. Krieger, Lilja, Noveske, Criterion and a few others. I have a faxon barrel on my AR.308 and it gets MOA with match ammo. Still only about 300 rounds through it, but solid accuracy. With that said Larue does make great products. Assembling AR.308's is not everyone's cup of tea, I get it.
    What do you mean by "You already have the lower?"
    Last edited by Red*Lion; 06-10-21 at 13:01.

Feedback Score
    LaRue is the “easy” button. I have a 16” MWS and wouldn’t trade it for the world, but I just received their Stealth 2.0 upper receiver for a 5.56 precision build and it’s so nicely machined...

No reason you can’t have both right? =D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12