Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best AR-10 for suppressed use

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhr1986 View Post
    I'm looking to buy a large frame AR in 308 - this would be my first AR-10 - and I'm going to be shooting suppressed 90% of the time.

I have been eyeing the LMT and am strongly leaning in that direction but I see reports that it is overgassed for a can. I have considered buying the 20" barrel and having it cut down to 16", hopefully leaving me with an appropriate port size for that length when suppressed. Obviously this adds significant cost, but it would be worth it as long as it works as intended, and of course I could then have barrels in 2 calibers.

Are there better options for an off the shelf 16" gun that isn't overgassed with a can?

Has anyone here cut down an LMT 18" or 20" barrel that can report on function with/without a can?

Cans that might be used - omega, sandman s, maybe sandman k.

Edited for spelling and stuff.
    I have an LMT MWS 308 that was originally a 20" cut down to 16" by ADCO. (LMT MWS upper on a Mega MATEN Lower) From my perspective, it's awesome, simple as that. I call it awesome because there is no need of tuning to get it to fire any particular ammo and cycle correctly with or w/out a can. When I test a build, I run all kinds of ammo, from high quality, to crappy cheap ammo, even if I only have it to test. I've ran a wide variety of ammo with and without the can and never once did I experience a FTF or a cycling issue. Personally speaking, I have not found it to be too gassy. Usually when a weapon is too gassy, I'll run a bead of high temp RTV along the horseshoe of the CH, and so far I haven't been impressed to do that, which tells me I haven't really noticed a lot of gas in the the face. I'm using a 7.62 Raptor CH so there's no gas mitigation with the charging handle. One observation I have made is around the recoil impulse. When compared to my custom build 308 (18" rifle gas barrel, Vltor A5 buffer system) my custom build had less recoil impulse. Granted I had an adjustable gas block, but even with the gas block fully open, it was still a bit of a softer shooter than my LMT. That said, the only impact are my follow on shots, which I expect at some point of training I'll regain some of the speed I had with the other 308. Some points I absolutely am over the top impressed with: I have always been impressed with LMT 5.56 BCG's and run them in my AR-15's. But their 308 BCG? Holy cow is that thing both a beast and a work of art. Just a super well-built, excellent design, pretty easy to clean BCG. Again, what has impressed me is not so much how much gas I have in my face or not, but the fact my LMT just chews up and spits out every single round I've fed it. From 1980's vintage German military surplus, (hard Berdan primers) to craptastic steel cased Tula. That not what my go-to ammo is. My go-to is Priv Partizan 145gr FMJ ammo. It's a solid 1 MOA rig when shooting 175 gr Federal Gold SMK. With the Priv, about a 1.5 MOA. I can live with that. My custom build was a <.5 MOA shooter, but the LMT does "good enough" in that regard and has the shorter barrel which is what I was looking for. One more comment regarding cans. I believe the upper I have is from their CQBMWSF rifle as it has the stainless steel barrel with the monolithic quad rail. I like quad rails, but my current suppressors are AAC 762 SDN-6, and I find that with the can on, it is really too front-end heavy for me to comfortably run drills with it. I'm a pretty stout guy with pretty good upper body strength, but I will tell you that I need a mini-can with it. If I want to run that weapon efficiently, suppressed, I am going to have to pick up a mini or even if there is a micro. (for real) Now without the can, I can run the same CQ drills I do with my 5.56 SBR's, albeit not as fast. At least yet. The MLok rail'd versions of the MWS are a little lighter I think.
    Optically, I have a Burris XTR II 1-8 mounted in a Geissele Super Precision mount and that's an amazing combination, and what I'd consider the about the most "PERFECT" optic (1-8) for the purpose I designated for this rifle.

Hope this helps, sorry for the ramble, but I really don't see how you can go wrong with the LMT MWS 308.
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 05-03-18 at 19:02.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    I have an LMT MWS 308 that was originally a 20" cut down to 16" by ADCO. (LMT MWS upper on a Mega MATEN Lower) From my perspective, it's awesome, simple as that. I call it awesome because there is no need of tuning to get it to fire any particular ammo and cycle correctly with or w/out a can. When I test a build, I run all kinds of ammo, from high quality, to crappy cheap ammo, even if I only have it to test. I've ran a wide variety of ammo with and without the can and never once did I experience a FTF or a cycling issue. Personally speaking, I have not found it to be too gassy. Usually when a weapon is too gassy, I'll run a bead of high temp RTV along the horseshoe of the CH, and so far I haven't been impressed to do that, which tells me I haven't really noticed a lot of gas in the the face. I'm using a 7.62 Raptor CH so there's no gas mitigation with the charging handle. One observation I have made is around the recoil impulse. When compared to my custom build 308 (18" rifle gas barrel, Vltor A5 buffer system) my custom build had less recoil impulse. Granted I had an adjustable gas block, but even with the gas block fully open, it was still a bit of a softer shooter than my LMT. That said, the only impact are my follow on shots, which I expect at some point of training I'll regain some of the speed I had with the other 308. Some points I absolutely am over the top impressed with: I have always been impressed with LMT 5.56 BCG's and run them in my AR-15's. But their 308 BCG? Holy cow is that thing both a beast and a work of art. Just a super well-built, excellent design, pretty easy to clean BCG. Again, what has impressed me is not so much how much gas I have in my face or not, but the fact my LMT just chews up and spits out every single round I've fed it. From 1980's vintage German military surplus, (hard Berdan primers) to craptastic steel cased Tula. That not what my go-to ammo is. My go-to is Priv Partizan 145gr FMJ ammo. It's a solid 1 MOA rig when shooting 175 gr Federal Gold SMK. With the Priv, about a 1.5 MOA. I can live with that. My custom build was a <.5 MOA shooter, but the LMT does "good enough" in that regard and has the shorter barrel which is what I was looking for. One more comment regarding cans. I believe the upper I have is from their CQBMWSF rifle as it has the stainless steel barrel with the monolithic quad rail. I like quad rails, but my current suppressors are AAC 762 SDN-6, and I find that with the can on, it is really too front-end heavy for me to comfortably run drills with it. I'm a pretty stout guy with pretty good upper body strength, but I will tell you that I need a mini-can with it. If I want to run that weapon efficiently, suppressed, I am going to have to pick up a mini or even if there is a micro. (for real) Now without the can, I can run the same CQ drills I do with my 5.56 SBR's, albeit not as fast. At least yet. The MLok rail'd versions of the MWS are a little lighter I think.
    Optically, I have a Burris XTR II 1-8 mounted in a Geissele Super Precision mount and that's an amazing combination, and what I'd consider the about the most "PERFECT" optic (1-8) for the purpose I designated for this rifle.

Hope this helps, sorry for the ramble, but I really don't see how you can go wrong with the LMT MWS 308.
    I would love to shoot that rifle.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OIPactual View Post
    I have a PWS MK216, and I use it suppressed 90% of the time. It's a great rifle for the money. The recoil is very mild compared to other AR-10 style rifles I've used, the gas adjustment is easy to operate and works well, and most of all it is accurate and reliable.

If you are planning on going suppressed I highly recommend the PWS.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Nice pic...
    When did it take it? This past weekend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    I would love to shoot that rifle.
    I live in Central Texas. Ft Hood/Belton/Temple area. You’re more than welcome to shoot it.

~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Nice pic...
    When did it take it? This past weekend?

January, but a few weeks ago nobody would have known the difference here... Gotta love Michigan weather

President of Trigon Armament Inc.

FFL-07 SOT-02

AR-15 Armorer

Competitive Shooter

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I live in Central Texas. Ft Hood/Belton/Temple area. You’re more than welcome to shoot it.

I didn't want to quote your first post due to length. Thank you for the report, I was really hoping to hear from someone that cut down an LMT barrel.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhr1986 View Post
    I didn't want to quote your first post due to length. Thank you for the report, I was really hoping to hear from someone that cut down an LMT barrel.
    Yeah, that was a long one. A few minutes ago a buddy asked me “What makes LMT so expensive?” I said I don’t have a lot of data to support an answer either way. I don’t own 10 LMT’s. But what I do know is that upper of mine is bomb proof. From the mono upper to the way the gas block is mounted - which I only view as a big positive to the BCG. It’s just pure quality. Not pretty quality, but hardcore quality. It’s not the softest shooting AR-10. I don’t think Mr. Lewis intended it to be. My custom built 308 shot softer and was more accurate. But if I had to pick one weapon and live through 10 yrs of zombie apocalypse, that LMT would be The One. They aren’t range hardened or hunting hardened, they are combat hardened. IMO that’s what separates it from the majority.
    Man I really didn’t mean to sound all commercially-like. But that’s my opine.

~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    My Armalite SASS is awesome to shoot suppressed. I shoot it with a AAC 762SD.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have a LMT MWS, and everybody I know that has one have found them to be a most reliable gun, regardless of ammo choice. RoberttheTXan is running a AAC 762 can and it is the most gassy can on earth and is still experience great success. Impressive, I have those cans too but had to switch to a newer can that handles gas better as I didn't cut my barrel down. I went with a Sig can but many other cans will do the same. I just say this because based on what Robert said, cutting the barrel , MUST WORK WELL!

The KAC men should be offering their fine experinces with such guns, pricy but not terrible much more after a cut down. I am buying a LMT MWS 6.5 barrel since I can quick change the barrel, and test results of return to zero with follow. Best of luck.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OIPactual View Post
    Silencerco Omega and Chimera

Sorry for the thread drift, but how do you like the Chimera? I am thinking about grabbing one.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast