Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PA-10 First Impressions

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

PA-10 First Impressions

Hi All,
    In a moment of impulse I picked up some PA-10 parts over Black Friday. Most namely a complete PA-10 upper combo deal w/10 308 PMAGS and a completed PA-10 blem lower.

The upper is the follows:
    18" FN CHF/CL barrel, rifle gas
    MI SS Keymod 15" rail
    Standard charging handle
    A2 hider
    Nickel boron BCG group

The lower was just the base lower and parts kit, assembled.

Some pros:
    - the barrel/rail combo is excellent quality.
    - the barrel is a useful medium profile, and rifle gas system
    - From prior reviews the BCG seemed suspect, but checked the ejector/extractor spring tension and everything seemed A-OK. It was all well-finished.
    - the assembly work seemed acceptable (at least on the upper!)
    - the rifle ships with a extended length carbine buffer tube, and a H buffer. The length is similar to a VLTOR A5. This allows use of standard AR-15 buffers up to H3. This is optimal in my mind for a carbine 308.

Some cons:
    - the completed lower DIDNT HAVE A HAMMER. Didn't matter to me as it easily accepted a SSA-E trigger.

I did not have particularly high hopes give both PA-10's rep and the fact that cheap 308 AR's can be troublesome from a function standpoint. Fortunately it ran great! BHO on last round, 4 o'clock ejection pattern, and all the fired brass looked great. Furthermore, the accuracy seems to be quite good as well. It was 10 degrees with 25+ mph wind and I only had access to the 50 yd range, but I still managed to crank out several 5 shot groups that were in the 1/2-3/4" range using my bulk 308 blasting load of a Hornady 150 FMJ-BT over H4895.

Perhaps PSA has been overall improving their quality? Their QC continues to need work but I believe this is a reasonable option for a "hobby" 308 if it can be found on sale. Maybe I just got lucky.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Lmao no hammer??

1/2" groups though. That's impressive. I've seen top shooters with bench rest guns struggle to hold that kind of precision!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Lmao no hammer??

1/2" groups though. That's impressive. I've seen top shooters with bench rest guns struggle to hold that kind of precision!
    He said that was at 50 yards.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Whoops. I suppose I should read more thoroughly next time.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I really wouldn't read into the accuracy claim too much. More testing remains. I imagine it will probably be a 1.25-1.5 MOA piece, in the next couple weeks I am going to head over to the 200+ yd range. It seems to at least get close to my 20" Criterion and is better than the Mega 18" I have also shot a lot. Oddly that plinking load of a 150 FMJ-BT, 41.7 gr of H4895, CCI-200, LC brass seems to generate good accuracy in almost all semi autos I have shot it in.

Most importantly is that they seem to have gotten the gas port size right. Doesnt seem to need a adjustable gas block as of now.

And I could see your skepticism for a "1/2 MOA" PA-10 haha.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    pics??
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    I assume this was their Gen 2 PA10 receivers?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes, the Gen 2. Both generations of PMAGS work fine and drop free.

I will get pics when I am at the range next.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What stands out to me is that the lower had no hammer, which strongly implies the completed rifle was not test fired. Just more confirmation about the current state of PSA and their products.

Not meant to hijack at all and glad to see this rifle is working acceptably for mic2377.

Feedback Score
    I have one of the Gen 2 PA-10s and mine has been great. Shoots 3/4MOA at 100 yards pretty consistently with FGGM 168 and 175 gr ammo and hand loads. I was expecting a 1.5-2MOA gun from them, and was surprised to get MOA to Sub-MOA accuracy with decent ammo. Mine has run great with zero malfunctions in about 400 rounds, and i've run it pretty hard and extremely dirty at times. I wasn't expecting much, and got it for a fun plinker, but it's been surprisingly reliable and accurate. I've run it both suppressed and un suppressed. For the money, i've been very happy.IMG_9153.jpg

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast