Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AR-15 and extreme cold? (below zero)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

AR-15 and extreme cold? (below zero)

I’ve seen a number of posts on IG, FB, and other forums asking folks what their “ultimate cold weather SHTF rifle would be” and I’ve noticed a bunch of people saying something like Mosin, M1903, AK-47, etc. but very few (and in some instances zero) mention of an AR, and if an AR was mentioned at all, there was usually something about using graphite lubricant instead of oil. If I had to grab a rifle in sub zero temperatures it would be the same rifle I’d grab any other time: my 16” middy lubricated with SLIP 2000. Am I missing something here?

Yes, I’m aware of the average IQ on these other platforms, which is why I’m asking here.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG19919 View Post
    Am I missing something here?
    Nope. Lubricant might be a consideration. Us hot weather guys are lucky enough to be able to run frog lube year rounds. I've read that it's not the best in really cold weather.

The only other consideration is bringing a weapon in from the cold.. condensation can lead to rusting.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Slip 2000 EWL is good for -100 F according to their website. Main thing is if your rifle is set up to be soft and smooth in the summer it may be underpowered in the extreme cold.

I moved from a desert climate where it might snow once a year to place that has snow from oct-April. The cold has really made me change how I look at firearms. There’s something to be said about big oversized controls, and fogging and then freezing from condensation was something I’ve never had to think about before. I’ve noticed I’m preferring my AKs over my AR’s when it’s sub-freezing. Also buffer-gas-ammo setups that work in the summer barely function when everything is frozen. As far as lube goes I’ve has good luck with ALG go juice, but -17 is the coldest I’ve been.
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 01-29-19 at 14:15.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    IMO, work the action regularly on any weapon in subzero temps.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Nope. Lubricant might be a consideration. Us hot weather guys are lucky enough to be able to run frog lube year rounds. I've read that it's not the best in really cold weather.

The only other consideration is bringing a weapon in from the cold.. condensation can lead to rusting.
    Mark, you remember this thread from a few years back?
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...e-Polar-Vortex
    Unfortuntely, the pics have been lost to photobucket but it's still a good read about different lubes and cold air temps.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have used mine out hunting all day when it was -14 in the morning with a high of 6 degrees. I use red oil (ATF and Mobil1) and have had no problems.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    Main thing is if your rifle is set up to be soft and smooth in the summer it may be underpowered in the extreme cold.

Also buffer-gas-ammo setups that work in the summer barely function when everything is frozen. As far as lube goes I’ve has good luck with ALG go juice, but -17 is the coldest I’ve been.
    A very good & oft-overlooked point. People swap weights & springs all year during good weather looking for some unicorn 4:00 ejection pattern and there's no leeway for when things get gunked up or your weapon would rather be getting fondled in front of the fireplace instead of trying to move that BCG around.

Feedback Score
    And those same people will mock you for a mass market or mass issue “overgassed” gun.

That runs with anything.
    In any weather.

The perfect lightest recoil impulse with the fastest splits Carbine are the fanciest highest capacity mag base with the lightest in the world trigger and most accurate barrel set up pistol are not necessarily the best to have outside of the games world.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    And those same people will mock you for a mass market or mass issue “overgassed” gun.

That runs with anything.
    In any weather.
    Preach it, brother. Reliability overrules all other considerations in my book.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast