Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Finally Earned My Shirt @ The Tactical Games

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Freaking pushups and old age with and tear to an extent but mainly pushups. Came back in Sept and hit it hard but wasn’t enough or maybe it was too much. I’m going to get a legit strength coach and dietitian (I think I was overdoing cardio and not taking in enough calories). So it was a physical issue that has morphed into a mental issue. I’ve had to fight back a lot of self negativity and depression. I think I’m finally starting to pull myself up. And I also gave up booze for Lent which took away my self medication.

Thanks for the talk guys. Chuck thanks for the link. I’ll give it a listen.
    Last edited by CRAMBONE; 03-09-21 at 21:37.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAMBONE View Post
    Freaking pushups and old age with and tear to an extent but mainly pushups. Came back in Sept and hit it hard but wasn’t enough or maybe it was too much. I’m going to get a legit strength coach and dietitian (I think I was overdoing cardio and not taking in enough calories). So it was a physical issue that has morphed into a mental issue. I’ve had to fight back a lot of self negativity and depression. I think I’m finally starting to pull myself up. And I also gave up booze for Lent which took away my self medication.

First, if you meant to type "tear" as in you have an injury, get that fixed or find a work around.

I know what you mean by old age... I attended the police academy at 43, and I'm now 50. I can't do things the same way I used to, and some I can do but have to take the next day off.

I have an elbow injury right now. I want to go play at the Tactical Games, but it's pointless to train hard right now... I'll just make things worse. I have to get it fixed, if it can be, and then drive on from there.

If you're talking about a police academy, remember what they call the guy who graduates last in his class at medical school: Doctor. Once you graduate nobody will care whether you have the record for PT or barely passed... or the highest academic score or whatever. All anyone cares about is the diploma. You need to be fit to do the job, but there's no point in overdoing it. Do what you can, see the doc for any lingering issues, see the coach for ways to work around long term problems you may have.

For example, I know a guy who has shoulder problems. He can't do normal pushups very often, his shoulder can't take the full body weight routinely, without causing problems.

He does knee pushups and some other stuff and only does strict pushups when he has to... in his case every six months or so for his military PT test.

Solve the problems that can be solved, work around the ones that can't, don't give up. If you have to, find a different academy that does things differently... some are less paramilitary, others use drill instructors trained by a travelling USMC team. My academy was college-like: khakis and polo shirts more of the time.
    Last edited by tanksoldier; 03-09-21 at 22:32.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAMBONE View Post

Mindset is everything. Think 'failing forward'. If you learn something, you are not failing. A coach/dietitian are great resources. So is physical therapy/sports medicine. In any case, you need a plan. Getting better at pushups is pretty easy, but definitely harder if you have a tear or are injured. Stop the negative self-talk. Every time it creeps in, do 10 squats or 10 pushups or something.

Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
    First, if you meant to type "tear" as in you have an injury, get that fixed or find a work around.

I know what you mean by old age... I attended the police academy at 43, and I'm now 50. I can't do things the same way I used to, and some I can do but have to take the next day off.

I have an elbow injury right now. I want to go play at the Tactical Games, but it's pointless to train hard right now... I'll just make things worse. I have to get it fixed, if it can be, and then drive on from there.

If you're talking about a police academy, remember what they call the guy who graduates last in his class at medical school: Doctor. Once you graduate nobody will care whether you have the record for PT or barely passed... or the highest academic score or whatever. All anyone cares about is the diploma. You need to be fit to do the job, but there's no point in overdoing it. Do what you can, see the doc for any lingering issues, see the coach for ways to work around long term problems you may have.

For example, I know a guy who has shoulder problems. He can't do normal pushups very often, his shoulder can't take the full body weight routinely, without causing problems.

He does knee pushups and some other stuff and only does strict pushups when he has to... in his case every six months or so for his military PT test.

Solve the problems that can be solved, work around the ones that can't, don't give up. If you have to, find a different academy that does things differently... some are less paramilitary, others use drill instructors trained by a travelling USMC team. My academy was college-like: khakis and polo shirts more of the time.
    Yup, this. Make sure your body is right.

To this end, I am staring down the barrel of a significant back surgery. I am kicking the can as far and as hard as I can. Yesterday was my second physical therapy appointment with a sports med PT. He's working wonders. I had to totally stop running because of my injuries, which bummed me out (not because I like running or am good at it; quite the opposite, I loathe it, but it helps me keep my weight in check). When I stopped I focused on HIIT to compensate. Shifted my mindset. This dude said he can get me back to running. Now I see it as a side dish and not the main meal, whereas before, it was the main meal supplemented by everything else. In my head it's a win.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    2021 update below original post.

Been debating as to post this or not. I figured someone may find it helpful to prepare if they are interested.

Pride took a hit but I'll learn from it. I actually teared up as we drove off. I said "I can't quit" and went to turn around. My wife was a voice of reason and I will be better prepared for next year.

To say I underestimated this match would be fair. I had been jogging with 25 lbs for 4 months. I added reps to all my normal jazz. Not near enough. I should have been jogging at 100 lbs over to feel lighter at the match.

I survived stage one but timed out. I couldn't get my feet to cooperate on a rope climb about a third of the way through Stage 2. Decided to muscle my way up and stalled out about 6 inches from the top.

The staff and RO's were awesome. They offered me a move from "Elite" to an "Intermediate" slot but I was done.

50% overweight cardio would be a good place to train for this monster. Much respect for the guys who finished. I'll come back better prepared.

Well, ask away or offer advice.

Update, March 2021

Got that shirt.

We had 7 stages spread over two days. The "Masters" division was changed from 45+ years old to a 40-49 group and a 50+ group. I was in the 40-49 group. We had the same COF and work load as the "Intermediate" division. There were some instances where Intermediate was allowed to use props as firing support but Masters had to fire offhand.

My ultimate goal for this match was to get a finish. My year worth of work was quickly evident to myself as we got going. I admittedly sand bagged all stages except the very last to try and avoid injury. The last stage was brutal. It was the only stage that had something like a 80% timeout (myself included and my only timeout). I completed about 75% of the stage before running out of time which seemed to be where most people ended.

My mental attitude was solid (since last year bitch-slapped some humbleness into me) with me only screwing up one firing sequence.

I was again inspired by other competitors. I watched a 17 year old kid (who was at most 120 pounds) farmer carry 105 pounds in each hand and throw a 80 pound sandbag over a 6 foot bar multiple times while carrying a rifle, a handgun, ammo and wearing armor. Also, seeing injured individuals still pushing at 100% was extremely respectable. Awesome stuff.

The energy invested got me a "middle of the pack" overall finish with around 120 total shooters. I'll be attacking every stage next year at 100% effort. I learned what areas still need work. While there are resources with known variables, Tactical Games is hard to train for. An individual needs to be ready for anything and would be far better off with a 60% mastery over everything rather than 100% mastery of a few exercises.

Well, it's now time to put the heavy plates back in the carrier and bust ass for a year. Thank you to everyone who posted up and I challenge you to hit up The Games.
    Congratulations on your outcome! I know you worked hard to get there! Thank you for your AAR and 'lessons learned.' Question: what were the shooting stages like?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Congratulations on your outcome! I know you worked hard to get there! Thank you for your AAR and 'lessons learned.' Question: what were the shooting stages like?
    Shooting at this one (COF varies as with everything else at each match) was fairly straightforward. Longest rifle shots were around 200 yards, with the majority being around 30 yards. Most pistol work was in the 20-30 yard range.

One stage was a generic 2 Gun style stage shooting on full size targets. All other stages were reduced sized targets. Close in rifle targets were index cards. Pistol targets were folded in half printer paper.

I assume the close and reduced sized targets were looking to find people slipping mentally on POA vs POI. It obviously worked. I would occasionally peek at other peoples targets and see tiny groups below the actual target.

I believe that every firing sequence was rifle first then transition to pistol (when pistol was in play). If it wasn't I screwed up cause that's how I shot them.

All shooting had some sort of rule or sequence that tended to change depending on where a person was at in the completion of the stage. I.e., Standing for this leg, weak hand this leg, left target for these legs, right targets for these legs, while holding a sandbag this leg, kneeling, sitting, etc.

Only shot a VTAC on one stage and port numbers for legs were easy (0,2,3. Lol, still ready) all of which could be shot kneeling.

The "Long Movement" stage was only around a mile with no additional weight (Armor, ammo, rifle and pistol only). We even shot before the run. The shooting was from multiple "tank barricades" that wouldn't allow a person to see all targets from one position.

Round count was approximately 200'ish for handgun with rifle being around 250'ish.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    Shooting at this one (COF varies as with everything else at each match) was fairly straightforward. Longest rifle shots were around 200 yards, with the majority being around 30 yards. Most pistol work was in the 20-30 yard range.

One stage was a generic 2 Gun style stage shooting on full size targets. All other stages were reduced sized targets. Close in rifle targets were index cards. Pistol targets were folded in half printer paper.

I assume the close and reduced sized targets were looking to find people slipping mentally on POA vs POI. It obviously worked. I would occasionally peek at other peoples targets and see tiny groups below the actual target.

I believe that every firing sequence was rifle first then transition to pistol (when pistol was in play). If it wasn't I screwed up cause that's how I shot them.

All shooting had some sort of rule or sequence that tended to change depending on where a person was at in the completion of the stage. I.e., Standing for this leg, weak hand this leg, left target for these legs, right targets for these legs, while holding a sandbag this leg, kneeling, sitting, etc.

Only shot a VTAC on one stage and port numbers for legs were easy (0,2,3. Lol, still ready) all of which could be shot kneeling.

The "Long Movement" stage was only around a mile with no additional weight (Armor, ammo, rifle and pistol only). We even shot before the run. The shooting was from multiple "tank barricades" that wouldn't allow a person to see all targets from one position.

Round count was approximately 200'ish for handgun with rifle being around 250'ish.
    Thanks a bunch, that's an awesome report.

Once a month in one of my units on a Friday, we would do a five Mile run, 2 mi swim, obstacle course, 3 mi run, and a shoot. This sounds very similar to that kind of thing. I hope to get myself in position to be able to do this by the fall.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234