Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: advice on daughter's escape & evasion preps

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I would say look into kidnap and rescue insurance, but the problem with the PRC is that the Gov't is the main threat.

I would suggest doing your/her homework so that she is not associating with any people, groups, or places for which she could run afoul of the Chinese authorities. China isn't the worst place in the world to be, but the gov't isn't too keen on basic human rights. You are ultimately at their mercy.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    something I recently made.... it's a little Batmanish... but it'll sure get you out of a building quick...

All hardware is all rated for climbing with exception of the grappling hook (added for dramatic effect and not actually life saving)

The line is 1/8th AmSteel, able to hold 2500 pounds, and the spool contains a little over 70 feet of it.

I know it seems like a gimmick.... but rest assured... the entire assembly will fit in your pocket or purse and the belt is just a standard riggers belt.... the entire package could be EDC'd and used in the event she needs to flee from a 2nd or 3rd floor of a building... whether be it from fire, active shooter, or even possible kidnapping attempt...

I have completely replaced all of my 550 cordage with Amsteel..... you can get it in 7/64th's which is almost half the width of 550 cord, so you can carry almost twice as much, but the AmSteel can hold 1600 pounds.... as opposed to 550...

testing video of AmSteel strength...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcifJkhXpMM

I've personally used the rig in the picture to go out of a 4th floor window (with secondary climbing ropes during initial testing for safety) and it worked flawlessly... as long as the line has constant tension and isn't shock loaded, you're golden...

just some outside of the box ideas to get those wheels in your head turning... in a pinch... something like this could save her life..
    Last edited by Reagans Rascals; 08-31-12 at 22:12.
    When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.. - Ronald Reagan

smoke and drink and screw..that's what I was born to do.. - Steel Panther

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    You used that from a 4th story window using just the belt, no harness or swiss seat? I couldnt imagine descending without gloves either, if it was part of everyday preps Id have to include a pair of Petzls.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by N.Franklin View Post
    You used that from a 4th story window using just the belt, no harness or swiss seat? I couldnt imagine descending without gloves either, if it was part of everyday preps Id have to include a pair of Petzls.
    He did say he used safety ropes during testing...
    I'm no expert, but I took my CCW course at a Holiday Inn Express

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Having lived and traveled in numerous countries throughout the world I'll say this. If you are entering countries like China and others that are not free and open you are taking a big risk carrying or bringing anything into country that is suspect.

I have seen people get detained and hassled over GPS's simply because the entity that was checking didn't like it, wanted it as a gift or was suspicious.

If you enter China with same Bat-belt looking thing like above I can all but guarantee someone is going to take notice and pull you aside.

Some countries actually have xray and metal detectors in the airport before you clear customs and leave the airport and they are looking for anything suspicous.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by N.Franklin View Post
    Its a riggers belt.... that I wear every day.... and as for gloves... if you didn't have any on hand and it was a life or death emergency, you'd probably be wearing socks that you can take off and use... just thinking out side the box...
    When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.. - Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Having lived and traveled in numerous countries throughout the world I'll say this. If you are entering countries like China and others that are not free and open you are taking a big risk carrying or bringing anything into country that is suspect.

I have seen people get detained and hassled over GPS's simply because the entity that was checking didn't like it, wanted it as a gift or was suspicious.

If you enter China with same Bat-belt looking thing like above I can all but guarantee someone is going to take notice and pull you aside.

Some countries actually have xray and metal detectors in the airport before you clear customs and leave the airport and they are looking for anything suspicous.
    I completely agree, however its something he could possible send to her through UPS or Fedex.... as long as you don't go walking through the airport with your Batman belt on I think you'd be ok...

I didn't post it as a DIY or a have-to-have... I just posted it to give him some ideas...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reagans Rascals View Post
    I completely agree, however its something he could possible send to her through UPS or Fedex.... as long as you don't go walking through the airport with your Batman belt on I think you'd be ok...

I didn't post it as a DIY or a have-to-have... I just posted it to give him some ideas...
    She could also learn to hasty rappel with simply an ordinary rope. No descender, riggers belt, or carabiners required. Just a pair of work gloves.
    I'm no expert, but I took my CCW course at a Holiday Inn Express

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shabazz View Post
    Missionary work is ILLEGAL in China. And no, I am not kidding. Have your daughter write "proselytizing Christian beliefs" on her Chinese visa application and see what happens.

Your daughter can GOT TO PRISON in China for missionary work. ALthough that is not likely, it is possible.

So I assume your daughter is using a cover story, like being a teacher, as her reason for being there. I have lived in and travelled extensively through China and I have seen this before. It is a really bad idea. But I suppose your daughter is bound and determined to do it and Chinese law be damned.

The Chinese police are pretty efficient at finding people they want. So your daughter's only hope of E&E if the Chinese police are after her is going cross country through roadless areas. All forms of public transportation will be off limits or she will be caught. Basically, your daughter either needs to walk south to Vietnam/Laos/Burma (and cross the border will not be easy), or she needs to walk to the coast, and bribe some fishermen to take her out to meet a Taiwanese fishing boat that will take her to Taiwan. Either way your daughter is going to be walking a few hundred miles. Yeah. Your daughter better be really ugly, or female companionship may be enjoyed by men who help her along thew way, willing or otherwise.

Can your daughter surive in the jungle for weeks without supplies? Has she ever done it? No. You were talking about energy bars. I doubt she is carrying a 90 day supply of energy bars with her. Can she navigate from one side of the Bob Marshall Wilderness Area to the other without a map or compass? No. ****ing forget the E&E. It is not going to happen.

Keep in mind that Chinese people are very nosy and everyone knows everyone else's business. China is a former police state and they are used to informing on each other. So your daughter needs to be invisible and whiteys in China are not invisible.

Your daughter will also need large amounts of cash in local currencies to make good her escape. I would say a minimum of 100,000 renminbi plus about US10K each in Vietnamese and Taiwan currency. The gold helps. But it won't matter. The police will steal that money from her.

Overall I would say your daughter's best bet is to stay home and avoid breaking Chinese law. This will not be like a Matt Damon movie.

Now go pray that your daughter changes her mind.
    I take back the mean shit I said in the other thread. You have redeemed yourself, sir.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger29 View Post
    She could also learn to hasty rappel with simply an ordinary rope. No descender, riggers belt, or carabiners required. Just a pair of work gloves.
    and where does that rope come from? Is she going to carry 70-80 feet of rope with her wherever she goes?

The spool of AmSteel I had in the picture contains around 76 feet, weighs less than 1 pound and can fit in the cargo pocket of a pair of pants, even more so a purse...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast