Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk To Me About AR-10's.

Feedback Score

Talk To Me About AR-10's.

Don't worry, the title was just to get your attention. I don't claim to know jack about AR-10s. I don't own one or know anybody who does, and I've never had the chance to borrow or rent one to try out. That said, I was watching some gun videos on the YouTubes, and I came across a video by James Yaeger in which he said, "If you have an AR-10 that works, you have the ONLY AR-10 that works." Mr. Yaeger seems to be a polarizing man, in that people either love him or hate him. Regardless of what anyone may think of him, his video is not the first in which I've heard that opinion. In the interest of educating myself on the topic, I would appreciate anyone who can help me understand what some of the common problems with these rifles are and how one would go about fixing /preventing them. Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Maybe just use "Are AR-10's As Bad As I Heard?" for the title next time rather than be misleading.

Anyhow... https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=68068

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The AR10 is not nearly as reliable as the AR15. However they have gotten a lot better in recent years. Back when your only choice was Armalite, Stoner and DPMS things sucked. I have issues with both AR10's I owned and pretty much everyone else I knew that had one also had issues. The military trials helped to debug them a lot I believe. But I now have a SCAR 17 because I don't fully trust what is out there in the AR10 world.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Safetyhit View Post
    Maybe just use "Are AR-10's As Bad As I Heard?" for the title next time rather than be misleading.

Anyhow... https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=68068

Touche.

Feedback Score
    Speaking from personal experience I believe the AR-15 to be more reliable than the AR-10 style rifles available to civilians. I have owned three AR-10 style rifles over the years and the first two were problematic. The first one spent more time on the UPS truck and out east at the factory than at my house. The second one was a little better, but it had it's days. They were both traded.

I know two people who own Armalite AR-10s that had issues with them at the range. After a trip back to the factory for a tune up, the two gentlemen have not had any issues, but they don't shoot more than a few hundred rounds per year.

I know an individual who currently owns another brand of AR-10 style rifle that has feeding problems. In all fairness to the factory he won't stop tinkering with the internals and I am not so sure the problems are not owner induced.

The AR-10 style rifle I own right now has digested every kind of 3rd world ball and quality U.S. factory ammunition I have run through it. It has been problem free...............so far.

Like the other posters pointed out, this ground was chewed on before...........https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=68068.

Hopefully people who have experience with military grade AR-10s will chime in and tell us how they run.
    Last edited by 7 RING; 12-06-12 at 01:12.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7 RING View Post
    Speaking from personal experience I believe the AR-15 to be more reliable than the AR-10 style rifles available to civilians. I have owned three AR-10 style rifles over the years and the first two were problematic. The first one spent more time on the UPS truck and out east at the factory than at my house. The second one was a little better, but it had it's days. They were both traded.

I know two people who own Armalite AR-10s that had issues with them at the range. After a trip back to the factory for a tune up, the two gentlemen have not had any issues, but they don't shoot more than a few hundred rounds per year.

I know another individual who currently owns another brand of AR-10 style rifle that has feeding problems. In all fairness to the factory he won't stop tinkering with the internals and I am not so sure the problems are not owner induced.

The AR-10 style rifle I own right now has digested every kind of 3rd world ball and quality U.S. factory ammunition I have run through it. It has been problem free...............so far.

Like the other posters pointed out, this ground was chewed on before...........https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=68068.

Hopefully people who have experience with military grade AR-10s will chime in and tell us how they run.
    Brands??

Feedback Score
    I did not post all of the manufacturers, because I did not want this to deteriorate into a brand bashing thread. PM me if you want names.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Our current guns run very well.
    LAV recently ran a battle rifle class down here by us, you can check his forum and hear the words of a dude that doesn't have KAC in his signature.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    I've heard/seen nothing but good things about KAC, and LaRue offerings.

I suspect HK's offering will be great too once it reaches the U.S.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    There technically is only one ar-10, and that is the ArmaLite. I have two .308ar rifles, a LaRue OBR and a PWS mk214. Both function flawlessly. With that said, some of the common differences that may lead to problems are:
    1. 308ar's generally need to be run sopping wet for the couple hundred rounds, although this may not be true for all, it is for most.
    2.Extraction issues and bolt override are very common in dpms rifles. They need better springs and a heavier buffer. They tend to be a bit over gassed and the heavy buffer cures the bolt override while reducing felt recoil, also slowing the cyclic rate enough to help extraction.
    3.AR15 parts are used and don't hold up to the abuse of the larger round.
    4.My favorite, which goes for almost all ar's: when you buy cheap ass ammo and it doesn't shoot accurately, causes feed and cycling issues, or fouls up your rifle, it's not the damn rifles fault. Most of the ar-10's like the heavier match bullets, not the shit you get from East African Ebay for 3 cents a round.

There are lots of people out there who have great experience on these rifles and sone of the best is here with the guys who work (and play) at KAC. I bet the is a forum out there to dedicated to this platform.
    Last edited by edgecrusher; 12-06-12 at 06:53.
    the firearm hobby, welcome to poverty

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast