Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Teach Me About Pistol Red Dots

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Teach Me About Pistol Red Dots

I think I want a pistol red dot, probably on a glock 19. I already have a 19, along with 17 and others and 19 seems to be a good compromise.
    Researching this on the internet has my head spinning.

It seems I can get my slide milled, takes a month, around $165 and shipping. Or I can buy a slide, $200 and shipping with no iron sights so I'd have to add those and maybe also an adapter plate?

Or I can just sell something and buy a glock mos for around $620. Do I still need an adapter plate?

And then there are the multiple sights to choose from. RMR, see a lot about holosun. I thought holosun was a cheap china company but I saw where Kyle DeFoor uses a solar powered one on his go to carbine. Which sight would you all recommend?

Feedback Score
    One more option is available, Leupold Delta Micro. It is a great sight, it sits on my 2 carry Glocks. It also forces you to use good techniques and it will improve your shooting.

I have a Holosun 509T, it is great and I was very anti Holosun due to being made in China. But it is a great product.

I was one of the first to mount a red dot on a handgun way back in early spring of 2001, so I have been doing this a long time. Pistols of mine that can't use the Leupold Delta Micro will wear the 509T from Holosun. This of course doesn't count the pistols that currently wear a RMR.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Be prepared for loads of frustration. Mounting, zero, batteries, etc. The reliability on these things has a long way to go. When it gets there, it will be nice.

In a perfect world, they'd have pic rails on the rear of the slide, and they sights would have the reliability of the aimpoint rifle RDS.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    One more option is available, Leupold Delta Micro. It is a great sight, it sits on my 2 carry Glocks. It also forces you to use good techniques and it will improve your shooting.

I have a Holosun 509T, it is great and I was very anti Holosun due to being made in China. But it is a great product.

I was one of the first to mount a red dot on a handgun way back in early spring of 2001, so I have been doing this a long time. Pistols of mine that can't use the Leupold Delta Micro will wear the 509T from Holosun. This of course doesn't count the pistols that currently wear a RMR.
    Ease of installation makes that interesting. Small window kind of bothers me. Watching several videos/reviews on it now.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Be prepared for loads of frustration. Mounting, zero, batteries, etc. The reliability on these things has a long way to go.
    Seems about in line from a post circa 2015 or so...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    I don't know about that. But I do know the RDS has a lot of room for reliability improvement. I'm all for the RDS on pistols. I just want them at the level of reliability that you'd get with an H1 on a carbine for example.

I never see buddies standing on the firing line tryna figger out why their rifle dot aint working.... or why it's not zeroed, etc. My only rifle RDS failure was due to that stupid dip finish on the upper that let the mount break loose.
    Last edited by markm; 08-10-22 at 14:38.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I have had a Primary arms red dot on an AK for years always works and holds zero.

Put a HS507K X2 on the P365 XL two range trips ago. It's been GTG.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I don't know about that. But I do know the RDS has a lot of room for reliability improvement. I'm all for the RDS on pistols. I just want them at the level of reliability that you'd get with an H1 on a carbine for example.

I never see buddies standing on the firing line tryna figger out why their rifle dot aint working.... or why it's not zeroed, etc. My only rifle RDS failure was due to that stupid dip finish on the upper that let the mount break loose.
    I don’t understand what’s hard about mounting them or zeroing them? And reliability will never be aimpoint on a rifle level because of the g forces exerted on a slide mounted dot. Unreal expectations will lead to perceived problems. The market is flooded with cheap dots to meet the demand. You get cheap results with cheap products.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    Pretty much.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Sell your current Glock inventory and buy another MOS Glock, dont **** with Milling unless the mfg doesn't offer optics ready guns. Glock makes them obviously so take advantage of that. RDS on handguns has been game changer. Only RDS I have had issues with are the Sig handgun RDS. My RMR, SRO and Holosun optics have been very reliable. Sig is hit and miss.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast