Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Loading last chamber "hot" in revolver to signal reload?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The biggest problem is loading the revolver in the first place. You have to roll the cylinder so the hot round it's under the hammer every you close the cylinder. You also have keep accurate track of two types of ammo. Then, you have to load the speed loader with one hot round and take time to index it during a gunfight. This is more trouble than counting rounds.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The biggest problem is loading the revolver in the first place. You have to roll the cylinder so the hot round it's under the hammer every you close the cylinder. You also have keep accurate track of two types of ammo. Then, you have to load the speed loader with one hot round and take time to index it during a gunfight. This is more trouble than counting rounds.
    Indexing the cylinder in the comfort of the range or home is no problem.

Indexing a speed loader isn't something I'd do.

This is just for the rounds that are kept in the gun.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    ^^This.

Of course I’d notice a single hot rd. doing drills- by myself.
    Throw in sensory overload of a dozen guys around me, also blazing away and I’d have a really small chance of noticing.
    Add worrying about cover, friendlies locacations, incoming fire, dark, muzzle flash, blah/blah- no way.
    What dozen guys around you?

I don't think this is something you'd have to look for. It will just happen. Hopefully, because of repetition in practice, you notice. (By sight, sound, and/or feel)

If you don't notice. Oh, well. Nothing is lost. I don't see any negatives here but there are two positives.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Big negative. POI shift. From mild load to hot I've got a .38 that I get vertical POI shift of 8 inches at 20 yards. That is not a shift I want to deal with while dirty harrying my way out of a gun fight. And before someone wishes to pull statistics and how I'll never need to engage at that range, you're carrying a gun for a small chance it is needed, why not assume the worst.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I prefer to use a tracer on the second to last round. Got this tip from Gecko45.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    Big negative. POI shift. From mild load to hot I've got a .38 that I get vertical POI shift of 8 inches at 20 yards. That is not a shift I want to deal with while dirty harrying my way out of a gun fight. And before someone wishes to pull statistics and how I'll never need to engage at that range, you're carrying a gun for a small chance it is needed, why not assume the worst.
    Ah. I didn't consider this.

The hotter round would have to shoot to the same point of aim.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Try it.
    Let us know how it works out.

Feedback Score
    I'd rather have all the shots "hot"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by P2000 View Post
    THAT!

As someone that began his LEO career with a wheel gun at what seems a hundred years ago... We carried ONE type of ammo. HOT. With a wheel gun, it's shot placement and ROUND COUNT. There was no "spray and pray" back then. We were taught to keep a round count. Back then, there was not 46 rounds of ammo on your belt. You had 18... Yup... 18 rounds to do your business or make an egress. That, and you better be able to reload because the bad guys were counting rounds also.

Funny... When I did my CWP certification a few years ago, they let us use the police video scenario trainer. They asked how many shots I fired.. I always remembered exactly. That threw everyone off... Old habits...
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by P2000 View Post
    Those tend to lead to slower, less accurate shots, though. But not with the last shot.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast