Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Czech Republic gets new assault rifle: CZ805 Bren.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by N.Franklin View Post
    HK has offered 2 round burst since the 90's. I wonder when Russia will finally realize that STANAG compliancy and 5.56mm are the way to go?
    Why would it be the way for them to go? Russia isn't a member nation of NATO and clearly has absolutely no intention whatsoever of ever becoming one. The mags they have work great (better than ours really), and the only problem with their cartridges is failure to update the projectiles.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmanfms View Post
    Why would it be the way for them to go? Russia isn't a member nation of NATO and clearly has absolutely no intention whatsoever of ever becoming one. The mags they have work great (better than ours really), and the only problem with their cartridges is failure to update the projectiles.
    Actually instead of trying to fix their primary cartridge to be jack-of-all-trades they design specialized cartridges for different needs. For example 9x39mm or 12.7x55mm. Here they seem to be more flexible than NATO.
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
    When Russian arm designs and 5.45 and 7.62x39 aren't as good or better than 5.56 and STANAG.
    I have to say 5.56 is already better than 5.45, maybe not m855 or m193, but things like the 77gr smk, mk318, mk262, m855a1, 5.56 optimized(70gr TSX)

Goodthing is our .mil is finally using those rounds.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by montrala View Post
    Actually instead of trying to fix their primary cartridge to be jack-of-all-trades they design specialized cartridges for different needs. For example 9x39mm or 12.7x55mm. Here they seem to be more flexible than NATO.
    So they produce specialized cartridges for suppressed weapons, whoopty-do. This means they add to their logistics train for fairly limited applications. What I was referring to is the poor terminal ballistics of the current Russian cartridges.

Besides, the main reason they built entirely new weapons with proprietary cartridges for suppressed use is because their suppressor technology and ability to build quality suppressors sucks. Adaptability of their primary arms to suppressor use is also pretty poor.

What they need is a cartridge that has good intermediate barrier penetration coupled with deformation and penetration in tissue, not three different weapons/cartridges that performs the tasks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmanfms View Post
    So they produce specialized cartridges for suppressed weapons, whoopty-do. This means they add to their logistics train for fairly limited applications. What I was referring to is the poor terminal ballistics of the current Russian cartridges.

Besides, the main reason they built entirely new weapons with proprietary cartridges for suppressed use is because their suppressor technology and ability to build quality suppressors sucks. Adaptability of their primary arms to suppressor use is also pretty poor.
    Actually I gave only examples. And 12.7x55 is not for suppressed rifle, but for assault rifle (that SOF units already fielded).

And Russian approach toward suppressed weapons is just different from American one. They did not want firearms that are "suppressed". They wanted ones that are "silent" and concealable. And this they achieved in very clever way.

They do have also different approach in scope that regular army has what it has - standard equipment that is enough for what they ask those troops to do. But specialized units are not bound or limited of what is adopted for "grunts". They receive specialized tools that allow them to accomplish tasks that they are required to undertake.

Do not make mistake of underestimating Russia capabilities. Russia with working economy might be more dangerous that Soviet Union ever was.

BTW fixing 5.56 is just taking it back to how it originally was supposed to be, but end up with full lead core 55gr bullet due to short cut taken in project. But this is history.
    Last edited by montrala; 12-21-11 at 07:34.
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    Edit.
    Last edited by Redmanfms; 12-21-11 at 19:30.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234