Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: RMR 69 gr OTMs

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by opngrnd View Post
    Not Markm, but a PRS guy was saying they worked well if seated off the lands. This seems to keep them from reaching their potential in mag fed Rifles.
    When the 70 RDF first came out, I tried them in a 1:7 18" WOA SPR barrel and they shot okay, 1.2 MOA in a barrel that shoots the 73 ELD well under a minute. I also tried them in a Remington LTR with a 1:9 twist while playing with seating depth. My notes show that I ended up at 2.365" OAL and put 5 shots into 0.4MOA.

I've had some really good success with the 77 RDF in that LTR and have just started load development with the 85 RDF in my 1:8 Bartlein barreled Remington. So far it is stabilizing really well.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I have not. I've got so many irons in the fire, we were scratching our heads today.
    Ha, yea, to say the least, you are a busy busy guy when it comes to reloading that's for sure! But if I had the area to shoot that you and PB have I would do pretty much the same, LOL If I put an order in at Shooters Pro Shop, I will grab some of the 70 RDF for sure and try, hate to waste the $$$ if they're not great or really no better than normal 69ers. My Tikka shoots the 77s so good maybe I should just put them out of my mind! But me being me and just can't leave stuff alone I know I will grab some. I need some 6.5 bullets for my cousin so I'm sure I'll just throw a few hundred in on the order.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallDodge View Post
    When the 70 RDF first came out, I tried them in a 1:7 18" WOA SPR barrel and they shot okay, 1.2 MOA in a barrel that shoots the 73 ELD well under a minute. I also tried them in a Remington LTR with a 1:9 twist while playing with seating depth. My notes show that I ended up at 2.365" OAL and put 5 shots into 0.4MOA.

I've had some really good success with the 77 RDF in that LTR and have just started load development with the 85 RDF in my 1:8 Bartlein barreled Remington. So far it is stabilizing really well.
    That's good info Marshall, I will keep it in mind!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Damn, Marshall what two bolt 223 guns do you have? We love shooting our 5R and Tikka. Just curious because so few people run them.

PB

Rifle #1
    LP Fuzion action
    1:7 24" Krieger 223 chamber

The last time I shot the 77 SMK blem with surplus ball power, similar in burn rate to H322, 5 shots-

This is how it typically shoots the 69RMR

Rifle #2
    Trued Remington
    1:8 18" Bartlein, 223 chamber

This one will shoot my 68 Hornady/Tac load through the same ragged hole so I know it likes the 68/69 grain bullets

Here are some groups with the 77 Blem and N140. On this day there was quite a bit of wind change while I was shooting, all of the 3-shot groups had different charges ranging from 23.0 to 24.0, and they were blems. The top left group is a 4-shot group with 3 of them going through the same hole.

This is a typical 5-shot group with the 69RMR
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Barrels are just odd characters. Finnicky sometimes.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Rifle #1
    LP Fuzion action

The last time I shot the 77 SMK blem with surplus ball power, similar in burn rate to H322, 5 shots-

Rifle #2
    Trued Remington

This one will shoot my 68 Hornady/Tac load through the same ragged hole so I know it likes the 68/69 grain bullets

Here are some groups with the 77 Blem and N140. On this day there was quite a bit of wind change while I was shooting, all of the 3-shot groups had different charges ranging from 23.0 to 24.0, and they were blems. The top left group is a 4-shot group with 3 of them going through the same hole.

That Fuzion rifle is a beast, .223 bolt guns are the best, simply the most fun to shoot. Post some pics of those rifles sometime. I have been tempted to re-barrel my Rem 700 5R, but it just won't start shooting like shit, pisses me off.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Rifle #1
    LP Fuzion action

Rifle #2
    Trued Remington

Those rifles are lasers if you feed them what they like, .223 bolt guns are the best, simply the most fun to shoot. Post some pics of those rifles sometime. I have been tempted to re-barrel my Rem 700 5R, but it just won't start shooting like shit, pisses me off.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 05-16-23 at 07:17.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That is all good shooting MD. Those one holers with a single flyer are the most damned frustrating part of shooting.

Is it me? The load? The single round? The barrel? Heat?

Damned frustrating.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    That is all good shooting MD. Those one holers with a single flyer are the most damned frustrating part of shooting.

Damned frustrating.
    We've been getting those up the ass with the AAC 77 gr rework project. Almost every 5 round string has one that dumps low... on paper, at 1000 yards... annoying. Had one on paper even though the SD was 6.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post

Damned frustrating.
    They're 77 blems sooo...can I blame it on the bullet??

I am pretty happy with a 1/2 MOA group on a day when the wind is changing constantly and the bullet is an unknown variable.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    We've been getting those up the ass with the AAC 77 gr rework project. Almost every 5 round string has one that dumps low... on paper, at 1000 yards... annoying. Had one on paper even though the SD was 6.
    SD of 6 is really good, could be the BC of the bullet was off a little. Berger claims the most consistent BC's in the business, but when cost cuts into the fun factor, I just shoot what I can justify.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast