Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Barrels 101

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lre433 View Post
    I have been trying to build my knowledge on barrels and until now, thought chrome lined was the best for durability. I have just been reading some posts about Melonite treated/coated barrels. This process seems to be gaining popularity. What can you tell me about Melonite barrels? Thanks...
    Chrome Lined barrels last plenty long. Melonite may have some great upsides... I have no idea... but the problems with some of the idiot using this process are enough to steer me clear and stick to Regular CL barrels.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Chrome Lined barrels last plenty long. Melonite may have some great upsides... I have no idea... but the problems with some of the idiot using this process are enough to steer me clear and stick to Regular CL barrels.
    To expand upon what markm posted, the melonite process must be done properly for the barrel to gain longevity advantages over CL and other types of barrels. By this I mean that the process must be very carefully controlled, the receiver extension must be removed from the barrel (if not done sperately, cannot remember if that is a proper procedure though), both extension and barrel cleaned of agents and reattached to proper torque to ensure there is no corrosion from within the threads and the gas port should've been drilled before the entire process as well. Not all companies that offer melonited/nitrided barrels adhere to such a high level of preparation.

A company like AR15Performance has actually done a lot of research on the process and does adhere to such a high level of preparation (if not having pioneered a lot of it themselves).

This is all from memory so if any of this is incorrect I apologize in advance.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the input. I have been considering buying intead of building too. Looking at S&W AR15 MOE which has a 4150 steel barrel with melonite treatment. I will assume that getting this from the S&W factory will assure proper melonite proceedures. At first I was disappointed that it didn't come with a chrome lined barrel, but now I think I am okay with it.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Hey guys, can we sticky KL's barrel 101 please?

Didn't realize it wasn't until I just now saw it here amongst the usual posts - thought is was stickied already........

Thx.
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Is there a place where I can see pics of all the current barrel profiles with their proper names?
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    O.k.

For the last few days I have been reading up on the cold hammer forging process for making barrels, so I think I have a handle on the different ways barrels can be made.

Now my next question is about the mil spec steel. I have a BCM AR, and it has a barrel made from 11595E - Barrel Steel. So what is that in relation to 4140 or 4150?

As far as chrome lining a barrel, I am given to understand that chrome lining imparts a surface hardness to the steel. Does anyone know what Rockwell hardness rating results from chrome lining a 4140, 4150, or 11595E barrel? Is it basically the same amongst the three, or would you have three distinctly different end products?
    Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus (519 BC – 430 BC) Power should only be given to those that want it least.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
    O.k.

For the last few days I have been reading up on the cold hammer forging process for making barrels, so I think I have a handle on the different ways barrels can be made.

Now my next question is about the mil spec steel. I have a BCM AR, and it has a barrel made from 11595E - Barrel Steel. So what is that in relation to 4140 or 4150?

As far as chrome lining a barrel, I am given to understand that chrome lining imparts a surface hardness to the steel. Does anyone know what Rockwell hardness rating results from chrome lining a 4140, 4150, or 11595E barrel? Is it basically the same amongst the three, or would you have three distinctly different end products?
    Peruse at thine leisure : https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...hrome-Moly-CMV

Feedback Score
    Ok so here's a barrel question. I have a LMT Defender 2000 with a carbine gas system and a 16" barrel. Since I don't see myself using this over my future MRP, I was wondering if I could cut it down to a 12" SBR. It does have a M4 profile barrel. Is there anything wrong with this? And yes I plan on suppressing it

Feedback Score
    Cool beans.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by M1Grandfan100 View Post
    Ok so here's a barrel question. I have a LMT Defender 2000 with a carbine gas system and a 16" barrel. Since I don't see myself using this over my future MRP, I was wondering if I could cut it down to a 12" SBR. It does have a M4 profile barrel. Is there anything wrong with this? And yes I plan on suppressing it
    People do that all the time. Consider ADCO and anticipate having the gas port opened up, since it currently is probably .068".

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast