Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ammo prices - Are we still in an ammo shortage?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    87,000 new armed IRS agents won't be packing water pistols - even if they should be - so there goes more chunks of ammo from the open market, not to mention the Biteme insurrection militarizing every alphabet agency, to keep it self-perpetuating.
    Last edited by The_War_Wagon; 08-27-22 at 15:42. Reason: added supporting url
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    So true. Luckily i stocked up on 9mm and 5.56 before the panic, so i haven't bought a single round of that in the past 24 months, but i've still been shooting a lot so i feel like I need to start restocking at some point. I do agree that online prices are starting to get better, which is nice, but it still hard to find some of the other calibers i shoot (6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Creedmoor, 300 PRC, etc).

I don't understand that one either! On a side note, speaking of 6.5 Creed, have you had a chance to shoot the new Barnes 127gr LRX bullet? I mainly do PRS type shooting with my 6Creed and 6.5 Creed, but like to long range hunt as well. That bullet shows a G1 BC of .468. Curious if you guys have played with it yet.
    We have not played with any Barnes bullets. Hornady has gotten most of my 6.5 money. I know they make good bullets. That BC is legit.

PB

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swstock View Post
    I associate a shortage with empty shelves.

You can buy just about anything again. Factoring in inflation, prices aren't ansurd.
    This. There's ammo available, but I wouldn't buy it at current prices. A guy we shot with Monday had Wolf Gold at over $0.40 per round, if I heard him right. Good blaster ammo, but that's at least $0.10 too high for 55 gr FMJ. Ouch.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    This. There's ammo available, but I wouldn't buy it at current prices. A guy we shot with Monday had Wolf Gold at over $0.40 per round, if I heard him right. Good blaster ammo, but that's at least $0.10 too high for 55 gr FMJ. Ouch.
    Yes that was correct, but he did sack up and buy ammo so when he went out he hammered away and sucked up those nasty prices. He doesn't reload so he just made the best of the current situation. We have another buddy that will barely shoot his guns when he comes but he does come out. Our Wolf Gold buddy gave us some Sig 77g OTM's that we are going to evaluate next week. I noticed he shot it very well at distance so I asked him for a box to play with next week. Review to follow.

People have to live with this goofy situation we all are having to deal with one way or another. But .40 a round for ball ammo is hard to stomach.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post

People have to live with this goofy situation we all are having to deal with one way or another. But .40 a round for ball ammo is hard to stomach.

PB
    Agreed. I was paying $289 shipped for 55gr factory brass cased FMJ ammo before things got crazy. What's even worse is 9mm right now. It's still .30-.40 per round for most brass cased 9mm FMJ, which is crazy. I remember buying 1,000 round cases of Seller and Bellot 115gr FMJ plinking ammo for $169 shipped. It's still double that right now. Hard to stomach for sure.

Feedback Score
    I think things now are kind of "normal," or somewhere in the middle of "shortage" and "glut."

Reference point: I was able to order .22lr (Fed AutoMatch) for <8¢/round, shipped, which is a pretty good price.

A year ago I was paying 10-11¢/round for the same stuff. That was a shortage.

Three or four years ago I was paying 5-6¢/round for the same stuff... There was a glut.

Happily, I stocked up on centerfire ammo (and components) during the last glut, but I don't expect to see brass-cased 5.56 at 30¢/round or FGMM .308 for 80¢/round again anytime soon.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    If I didn't handload and had to pay over $0.40 per round for ball ammo???? I'd shoot once per month and maybe 100 rounds at most.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    If I didn't handload and had to pay over $0.40 per round for ball ammo???? I'd shoot once per month and maybe 100 rounds at most.
    Exactly. This is what most gun owners are doing. (Not me.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Exactly. This is what most gun owners are doing. (Not me.)
    I doubt I have enough ball pistol bullets to make much more than a case of ammo.

Fortunately I can make ammo with good quality HP projectiles for a lot less than what the cheap ball (factory) ammo is selling for currently.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    ^^ Yes.
    I run Precision Delta or Zero JHPs as range ammo. Superior accuracy over FMJ’s and running comps you don’t get leading like you do with FMJ having exposed lead base.
    Bonus is the PD load I worked up is a duplicate in POA/POI for my carry load of 124 gr, +P Gold Dot.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast