Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering first FAL... need help

Feedback Score

Considering first FAL... need help

This is my first post and potentially first FAL. I have a local offer to trade for an FAL and I dont know much about them but have always been intrigued. I know this would probably be better posted on the FAL files but im not a member over there.

Seller has told me he purchased in the mid 90s and rifle was put together by a gunsmith. He says its a British L1A1 built on an Imbel receiver. Pictures he has provided are below.

Im a frequent reader on the forum so hoping to get some good information from everyone. Just trying to get a rough idea of value so i can determine if this is a decent deal for me and also overall quality of a rifle like this. Really appreciate the help in advance!

fal8.jpg

fal7.jpg

fal6.jpg

fal4.jpg

fal1.jpg

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    L1A1s are inch pattern and mags and parts are gonna be harder to source and more expensive, from what I’ve read and been told. I think Imbel receivers had a decent reputation. I’d ask for a test fire though since it’s a parts gun.

Feedback Score
    I have 2 FAL's and they are iconic battle rifles. The Imbel receiver is top notch Brazilian made under FN license. DSA is selling there new basic metric FAL for about $1K. So you have to figure a home built L1A1 like that pictured falls into the 6-7 hundred category. The L1A1 has in my opinion some pluses and minus's against the metric version. The Gas regulator is a nicer unit on the L1A1 with numbered gas port positions as opposed to no actual port position markings on the metric. I like the fold down sight on the Inch over the fixed but I like the push button elevation lock in on the metric. From there on the Metric gets the upper hand with a better mag release, bolt hold open, more comfortable trigger and grip along with a less obtrusive safety switch. I guess it boils down to how much value you have going into the trade as long as the guy guarantees the L1A1 shoots well with no issues. DSA has a limited life time warranty.

Feedback Score
    IF its an inch pattern RECEIVER you can run both Metric and Inch pattern magazines. IF its a metric pattern RECEIVER then only metric pattern magazines(unless the INCH pattern magazine has been modified). Metric pattern receivers have a small round cut out for the magazine to fit in too. (its the small piece of metal sticking out of the front of the magazine). Inch pattern receivers will have a much larger shelf for the larger tab that is on Inch pattern magazines. You should find out what type of receiver you are buying for latter magazine purchases should you want to get more.

check out the FAL Files.

Feedback Score
    also look at the feed ramps there should by 2 ramps( left and right side for staggered feed magazine) not a single "uni-brow" feed ramp. If its has a "uni-brow" feed ram then more than likely its not an Imbel receiver. "uni-brow" receivers can be made to run but they are not ideal.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would just find a Springfield SAR 48 and be done with it.
    Itajuba factory pre ban forged receiver, metric, prices are very reasonable, now,
    who knows about tomorrow

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    That's not an Imbel receiver. I can see "Canada" marked on the receiver. That is more than likely a Century cobbled together FAL. I think the guy is being less than truthful IMHO.

Feedback Score
    Thank you very much for the feedback everyone! After taking this all into consideration, I am definitely going to pass. I was questioning the Canada marking as well.

It's very helpful to receive all your thoughts and I believe you saved me from a bad trade.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Jeepers lots of negativity here, go join the FAL Files and do some research, points to ponder, not all CIA guns are disasters, some early CIA builds used Imbel or Argentine receivers that were not marked, price on a CIA unmarked receiver rifle should be substantially lower than many others. If it has twin feed ramps, if barrel looks decent and if you can shoot it to confirm function and you can get it for less than $600 and you want a FAL to play with learn on then I would consider it. If you are looking for one to fulfill the battle rifle role and for serious use I would look for a better quality build.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 11-04-19 at 12:28.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    Delete.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 08-01-20 at 12:08.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast