Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3-9x Powered Scope vs 10x Powered Scope Questions

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtJ View Post
    Thanks MistWolf.

May I ask why you would rather an SFP over FFP?
    Because my brain slipped into reverse and I typed "second focal plane" when I meant "first focal plane".

I blame it on dyspepsia. Yeah, that it! Dyspepsia. When your brain switches numbers and letters around, getting your words mixed up...

Back in the day, folks said that with first focal plane reticles, the cross hairs would cover up too much of the target at high magnifications. But FFP scopes were rare and far above my pay grade and I never got to really check one out. Now, you can't walk into an AR boutique shop without tripping over three or four before you get to the counter. From what I've seen, the disadvantage of FFP reticles were greatly exagerated. Now, I just need to sell my Leupold Mark 4 M1 10x to help fund the purchase of a modern, up to date optic
    Last edited by MistWolf; 04-04-11 at 03:02.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    IE: 1" high and 1" left at 100 yards left you would need to go right 4 clicks and down 4 clicks to be on target...? (double amount of clicks for 200 and so on)
    No. At 200 yards those same 4 clicks will get you two inches (approx), so doubling it will get you 4, and that effect carries exponentially as the range increases.

1MOA = (approx) 1" @ 100, 2" @ 200, 10" @ 1000, etc.

I'm still very much a neophyte in this, but I've chased enough impacts around from misplaced adjustment assumptions to see an opportunity to save you a headache.

I pretty much concur with the 10X max from an earlier post above. When I decided to step out and get a Nightforce, I got the 5.5-22x because I didn't see any reason not to. And while I occasionally will move it up to 15x, it pretty much stays at 10x for the ranges you are talking about shooting.

Just my (limited) .02

Saleen
    Last edited by saleen; 04-04-11 at 10:04. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    MistWolf ,

No worries, I tend to do that a bit myself.

saleen,

You're correct, even though i understood ~1" at 100 and ~2" at 200, i was thinking of doing the corrections hoping to achieve 1" at 200 and somehow messed everything up.

Thanks for clarifying.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the reply's, they're appreciated.

If for nothing more but to put this thread to an end, I ordred a 3-9x, FFP, MIL/MIL scope this morning.

Will update when i get it.

Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    If I'm not too late, I'd add that being able to drop the magnification comes in handy when trying to track moving targets. Whether or not this is a factor for you, I don't know.
    I use a 3.5-10 at work on a light precision rifle; Out to 500m it works fine for our purposes.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chameleox View Post
    If I'm not too late, I'd add that being able to drop the magnification comes in handy when trying to track moving targets. Whether or not this is a factor for you, I don't know.
    I use a 3.5-10 at work on a light precision rifle; Out to 500m it works fine for our purposes.
    Not too late. Thanks.

Scope came in today, range this weekend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12