Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Can a jet on a treadmil fly?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyyr View Post
    Look at my post prior to yours. As I pointed out, the original post is made by a NON-PILOT whose only flight experience is VIDEO GAMES.

He butchers the question and then jumps to a completely unrelated conclusion because he doesn't understand the context and purpose of the question.
    Congratulations. You are the second person to actually read the OP/Link and see the questioned was butchered.

But we have moved past that butchering and are using a more general example:

This language from the original rec.aviation post I mentioned is better:

If a 747 is on a treadmill as long as the runway, going the same speed that the aircraft is going. Will it still take off?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyyr View Post
    Once again, if it drifts backward, then that drift must be subtracted from the vector of the relative wind.

This is why general aviation has so many accidents....
    So the thrust of a seaplane cannot overcome a slight current.

And you claim to be a pilot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    It's not a pilot problem, it's a Newtonian physics problem, Adrenaline_6 with a degree in Aeronautical Science is telling you the same thing as have others, plane flies...
    Heavy jet driver here with almost 30 years of flying under my belt... Given the treadmill is as long as the standard runway for control purposes...

As long as the jet is not tied down/back and the wheel brakes are off, it will accelerate forward under it's own power. The wheels will spin faster than normal though. Regardless how fast the treadmill spins, the plane will accelerate to a certain point until the wheels explode... The maximum tire speed on most large transport category aircraft is 195 knots. Assuming the plane gained enough "air speed" to generate lift before the tires blow up, she'll fly.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    So the thrust of a seaplane cannot overcome a slight current.

And you claim to be a pilot.

---

The A/C is not under power and is drifting back due to small current. Thrust is applied, either the A/C moves forward despite the current, or it does not.

Overcoming the current of the water DOES NOT create relative wind. You're asserting (somehow) that a plane can lose forward velocity (due to drift) and then regain it as relative wind airflow. The air above the water is not moving with it (at least to any noticeable effect), therefore overcoming the drift does not add to lift. However much you drift backwards is lost in airflow and must be overcome. It's the same concept as landing with a tailwind, only in reverse.
    Last edited by Skyyr; 10-18-20 at 15:47.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Det-Sog View Post
    Heavy jet driver here with almost 30 years of flying under my belt... Given the treadmill is as long as the standard runway for control purposes...

As long as the jet is not tied down/back and the wheel brakes are off, it will accelerate forward under it's own power. The wheels will spin faster than normal though. Regardless how fast the treadmill spins, the plane will accelerate to a certain point until the wheels explode... The maximum tire speed on most large transport category aircraft is 195 knots. Assuming the plane gained enough "air speed" to generate lift before the tires blow up, she'll fly.
    THANK YOU! If you were not a dude I'd ask you to marry me at this point. Mind blowing how/why that's been so difficult for so many to fathom here, some claiming to be pilots. Ugh.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 10-18-20 at 15:55.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    THANK YOU! If you were not a dude I'd ask you to marry me at this point. Mind blowing how/why that's been so difficult for so many to fathom here, some claiming to be pilots. Ugh.
    I cant wait till you post this puzzle again!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think the example of the toy was helpful.

Let's say we have a toy jet with functioning engines...if we hold it in place on the TM & add thrust of say 100 knots, the TM doesn't turn. So, let's now speed up the TM to match the the travel of 100 knots to the wheels & then let it go.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    I think the example of the toy was helpful.

Let's say we have a toy jet with functioning engines...if we hold it in place on the TM & add thrust of say 100 knots, the TM doesn't turn. So, let's now speed up the TM to match the the travel of 100 knots to the wheels & then let it go.
    First time using tappatalk and it's pita.ignore me
    Last edited by WillBrink; 10-18-20 at 16:02.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    I cant wait till you post this puzzle again!
    Never posted before and will never post it again though I find it interesting until some get condensending and obtuse about it.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

- Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    double tap

- Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast