Thread: "Fast" AR

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Well in the shotguns sports you want longer heavy barrels to swing smooth and fast through the target. I dont see how making an ar lighter will make it faster in every aspect or any for that matter. I think the trigger and practice will be the most condusive to increased speed.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    Well in the shotguns sports you want longer heavy barrels to swing smooth and fast through the target. I dont see how making an ar lighter will make it faster in every aspect or any for that matter. I think the trigger and practice will be the most condusive to increased speed.
    Because rifle sports usually call for multiple shots on a single target (at least the cardboard ones) and swinging "through" the target isn't reccommended. A rifle has to be quick on target aquisition, and equally quick to stop once sights are on target.

At least that's been my experience.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyM4 View Post
    Because rifle sports usually call for multiple shots on a single target (at least the cardboard ones) and swinging "through" the target isn't reccommended. A rifle has to be quick on target aquisition, and equally quick to stop once sights are on target.

and then back again.

I agree.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyM4 View Post

I see your point, but I guess I think a heavy rifle is better. The trigger and practice are the most conducive to increased speed. I still see it as the same as shotgunning just stoping short to engage. The added weight will help with controling the recoil impulse.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    The trigger and practice are the most conducive to increased speed.
    In the rifle and pistol sports that is often not the case.

Shooters are classified with those of like, or similar, ability and hardware. The order, then, within a division is typically determined by who makes the least mistakes and who has the shortest amount of time BETWEEN SHOTS. You're not going to beat a Grand Master by missing, but among the Grand Masters the time between the shots is a major factor.

Very interesting writeup from Shannon Smith on his win in Limited at the USPSA Nationals here.

Also interesting to review the scores here.