Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Struggling on latest 308 Selection

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PNorris View Post
    8. Colt 901-- Good price, however, I've heard of not so good accuracy. Very little info on how durable it is.
    Where are you hearing of the 901 not being very accurate? We are getting 1/2" groups at 100 yards with ours.
    "Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Feedback Score
    Mag availability is something I don't worry too much about 308 guns but I understand how that might be an issue. I still don't get the HK mag concerns considering the price of SCAR mags.
    ˇˇKawaii Desu Ne Haruhi-Chan!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

HK Mags

I can find them, but man are they expensive. As to the Colt 901, I've just read of some reports that they are having teething and accuracy problems.

Feedback Score
    SCAR mags cost a pretty penny too. KAC patten mags are definitely the most common.
    ˇˇKawaii Desu Ne Haruhi-Chan!!

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    What do you want it to do?

Specifically, what is the smallest target at the longest range that you will shooting?
    What is your weight threshold?
    Do you want to run it suppressed?
    What is your budget?
    Do you already have glass, or will you need to buy?
    What glass do you plan on using?
    What distance performance holds the greatest value to you?
    Do you have an overall length maximum?
    Why 7.62? Terminal performance, precision, etc?
    What barrel life do you expect? What is your criteria for barrel life: precision drop (to what level) or reliability?
    How much do you expect to shoot per month/year?
    How much barrel maintenance do you want to do?
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Good Questions

All excellent questions. First, weight is not a major concern, as they all appear pretty close except the Scar.

1. I will typically be shooting 200 yards and under due to my state, NJ. I will, however, bring the gun out west to go pronghorn hunting, as well as other larger game. As such, that is why I want a 308.
    2. I cannot run it suppressed in my State.
    3. Budget?? Good question, as I always spend more than I intend. To put it this way, the SR 25 will be a stretch.
    4. I plan on buying glass. Probably in the 4-16 range.
    5. Pronghorn require long shots. Typically no closer than 400-600 yards unless you are lucky.
    6. I want either an 18 or 16" barrel.
    7. I won't shoot a ton, as I have alot of other hobbies too (dirtbikes, offshore fishing, roadracing, plus kids )
    8. I am pretty good at maintenance, however, the less the better, as I never seem to have time.
    9. I love things that are overbuilt and rugged.

Do I need a top tier carbine, probably not . . . . however, the heart wants what it wants and it will fill all of the above duties well.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    What do you want it to do?

Specifically, what is the smallest target at the longest range that you will shooting?
    What is your weight threshold?
    Do you want to run it suppressed?
    What is your budget?
    Do you already have glass, or will you need to buy?
    What glass do you plan on using?
    What distance performance holds the greatest value to you?
    Do you have an overall length maximum?
    Why 7.62? Terminal performance, precision, etc?
    What barrel life do you expect? What is your criteria for barrel life: precision drop (to what level) or reliability?
    How much do you expect to shoot per month/year?
    How much barrel maintenance do you want to do?
    Last edited by PNorris; 06-12-13 at 13:54.

Feedback Score
    I too found myself in the same dilemma. I went with the scar and 20 mags, and never looked back.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzintzuntzan View Post
    I still don't get the HK mag concerns considering the price of SCAR mags.
    What, $35-42 for SCAR mags?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PNorris View Post
    It's time for another 308. As most of you probably do, I research like crazy as to which rifle is best for my intended use. My intended use and desire is an accurate battle rifle/hunting rifle that can also serve some duty as a bench rest rifle as well. I have narrowed it down to the following with my thoughts after each.
    1. HK MR762A1- Battle tested (416/417) with robust build and quality parts. Accuracy appears to be very good for battle rifle, however, quite heavy. Price is expensive as are Mags.
    2. Scar 17s- Battle tested. High quality rifle. Accuracy not as good as HK, however, substantially cheaper. Mags and parts harder to get.
    3. KAC SR25 (any of them) Battle tested and very accurate. Most expensive by far. The pinnacle many would say.
    4. Gap 10-- Very accurate, however, not sure if it can be called a battle rifle and whether it would stand up to abuse as well as the above. Optioned out about the same price as HK.
    5. Larue OBR-- basically same comments as the GAP.
    6. LMT MWS-- Battle tested and very accurate. Almost as good as KAC, however, much cheaper. (Assuming Cl barrel) Slightly less in cost than HK.
    7. JP Lrp 07-- Not battle tested. A competition gun with no indication as to durability under tough circumstances. Obviously very accurate.
    8. Colt 901-- Good price, however, I've heard of not so good accuracy. Very little info on how durable it is.

Which one would you pick, taking somewhat into account the cost. I have another 308 Carbine that is my bench rest girl already. As such, I want a rifle that can bench rest, that I can hunt with and one to help repel the inevitable invasion of angry canadians
    from the list and comments above LMT WMS looks like a winner!
    Last edited by CT45; 06-12-13 at 18:26.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Re: Struggling on latest 308 Selection

If you can't swing the cake for an EC, the next best is an LMT.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast