Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best issued ruck marching boot

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Lots of good boot options but a suggestion for you---go to your base orthopedic shop and ask for custom made inserts. I found out about these gems after my second broken foot and used them the rest of my career and they were a Godsend. I wish I knew about them earlier; may have prevented the second fracture.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Bellville 390’s with the toe caps removed. I remove all toe caps prophylactically and also have drain holes installed. I do this because I have had two sets of toe caps collapse and buckle up, which absolutely effed up the top of my toes. One happened while patrolling in swamps, one while patrolling in snowy mountains. Both were with older black boots. If I remember correctly, one was with the latest goretex lined temperate weather boot, and the other was with jungles. This is not unheard of with any brand of issued boot.

I’ve also had the liner separate in the back heel portion of the goretex bellvilles.

I’m into Smartwool socks, and the REI brand knockoffs. Wear well broken in boots, and never try anything new for the first time on a long movement. In other words, if you haven’t used a fancy trick like antiperspirant on your feet, don’t try it out on a 40 miler. Socks come in different thickness. Don’t change brands before a 40 miler.

For extended patrols, I bring two thicknesses of socks, and the thinner ones go on after my feet have swollen after a few days.

I don’t know why I’m talking in the present tense. I haven’t worn issue boots on long movements in like 5 years.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I have had real good luck with the Smartwool socks as well. They seem to last a long time for me.

1168 - Have you or any of your fellow Soldiers tried the Darn Tough socks? I'm interested in people's feedback on them. I'm getting ready to invest in some good boot socks for myself and my son.

Thanks very much.

Feedback Score
    I'm a sworn user of Darn Tough's Full Cushion boot socks. Did the prep rucks and the Bataan Memorial Death March with a 50lb ruck in them. Wore some FoxRiver X-static liner socks then the Darn Toughs over them. Slathered feet in Foot Glide first and not a single blister or hotspot was had.

I'm slowly transitioning all my socks to Darn Toughs...it's also cool that when you wear them out, you just mail them back and they'll send you a new pair.
    If plan A didn’t work, the alphabet has 25 more letters.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I have had real good luck with the Smartwool socks as well. They seem to last a long time for me.

1168 - Have you or any of your fellow Soldiers tried the Darn Tough socks? I'm interested in people's feedback on them. I'm getting ready to invest in some good boot socks for myself and my son.

Thanks very much.
    Everyone in my platoon was issued 6 or more sets of Darn Tough socks around 2006 or 2007. None of us had heard of them before that, and we were skeptical. Most of us loved them, and I still have 10 or so sets (I aquired 12). Several of my buddies swear by them. They are the thinner set that I bring in the winter because they are a little taller than my Smartwools. Good socks, and the very best I have ever used that were black, if that matters to someone. I reccommend them without reservation.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Just wanted to ask about shoes. I have to go hiking in the mountains, there will be mainly a forest. The problem is that I have terrible feet, as the doctor told me, and with long walking, my feet begin to hurt. Recommended orthopedic shoes and insoles. I did not find tactical shoes or special orthopedic for such trips.

The question is if I use orthopedic insoles and one of these options of shoes, for example, will my feet get tired too?

If you know where to buy tactical or military orthopedic shoes, please let me know, I could not find

I'm from everywhere man because I'm an everywhere man....
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I know it's steering it a little off course for this thread, but I was curious if anyone here has tried the Covert Threads socks? I have a couple of pair and have some mixed feelings about them. I don't have the experience of long hard marches, but do hike a bit. Been wanting to try the Darn Tough and will probably get a couple of pair from just reading here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123