Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt M16 A1

Feedback Score

Colt M16 A1

Back in October last year, I saw an ad for a Colt M16 A1. Called the seller and we met the same day, locally here in Switzerland.

He was a soon to be retired 57 y.o. Lt. Col. in the Swiss army. He likes his toys, he also showed me a Thompson M1, a Sig 551 commando, G18, Norinco 56, all full auto, and a multitude of other stuff.

He bought the M16 over 20 years ago, shot it FA a few times at the military range, but hasn’t shot it in ages.

Some obvious wear on it, but rifing is strong, doesn’t seem to have shot tens of thousands of full auto rounds.

I haven’t seen those sights before

One broken tooth

Inside

BCG

Hammer

Furniture

The mag seems quite vintage too, with the metal follower

I think serial number puts production in 1972, although the serial number does not appear

Wonder if it saw action in VN. And how the hell did it land here in Switzerland.

Anyway, seller advertised it at 2500, I offered 2 k round figure. We settled on 2100. After a 4 weeks wait for the license, the gun had a new home.

Feedback Score
    More recently I took some better pictures

I shot in full auto and the barrel took this yellow hue, since there’s virtually no finish left on it

Magazine

With its little sibling (XM177E2)

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Sweet!!!!!

Is that a Star of David mark near the front takedown pin?

Last edited by RHINOWSO; 08-18-19 at 09:47.

Feedback Score
    Yes it is

There is also an BNP mark above

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I'm no expert but I imagine that weapon has quite a history. Could have seen time in Vietnam, then been sent to Israel?

How it ended up where it is today is a mystery - "if only they could talk" was something my world history teach said when a classmate brought a trunk of her grand-dads WW1 stuff to class - which included a spiked helmet, very long bayonet and a Luger pistol - different times, as the teacher (male, very proud German decent), checked the pistol unloaded and passed it around the room before putting it back in the trunk and sending it home. Today that event would be a school lockdown, 50 police cars securing the school perimeter, and the female classmate who brought it in suspended / expelled. Of course all the trucks in the parking lot had full shotgun racks too.

Thanks for sharing the photos and story.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Well this is a pretty cool thread.

Israel did get a whole bunch of M16A1s from the US, some were left as is and some were cut down and rebuilt into approximately 13" barreled carbines.

BNP is a British proof mark IIRC. That weapon really must have a colorful past.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 08-18-19 at 11:20.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    That Kerr NoBuckl sling is doing me a confuse.

Must have just been what someone had for it, at some point.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Wow. I bought the Brownells M16A1 reproduction, but yours is the real deal. Looks awesome.

I have a magazine like that. On the bottom it says "Adventure Line M16 / M16A1 cal 5.56mm" and has the same aluminum follower.

I thought Switzerland recently went California on gun control?
    Last edited by Uni-Vibe; 08-18-19 at 23:33.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    Well this is a pretty cool thread.

Israel did get a whole bunch of M16A1s from the US, some were left as is and some were cut down and rebuilt into approximately 13" barreled carbines.

BNP is a British proof mark IIRC. That weapon really must have a colorful past.
    Yes it’s the Birmingham nitro proof

There is one under the barrel as well

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    That Kerr NoBuckl sling is doing me a confuse.

Must have just been what someone had for it, at some point.
    What was it used for originally?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast