Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scar 20 optic question

Feedback Score

Scar 20 optic question

I am looking for optic and mount advice for the Scar 20 I have just purchased. This rifle wil be used for shooting precision rifle matches. The optic I have in mind is a Vortex Razor HD 4.5-27 X 56. I am looking at mounts and really don't feel I need a QD mount for this rifle. Not against a QD mount just dont feel it is real needed if I can save a little coin on a quality non-QD mount. I am also interested in a mount that has a built in bubble level. Anyone have any input? Advice is welcome! Thanks!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Not sure how precision a SCAR is. The optic is awesome and can be used in the future easily for anything you want, but some might consider it "too much" for the SCAR 20. I own and love that optic, get MIL

As far s QD... no.

No QD at all for a long range precision optic. Anything that introduces a weak point in your chain is foolish as long range is hard enough without QD stuff. We can argue all day long about bolted solid vs a QD attachment, just my opinion.

Seekins rings are the best value/high performance option for optic mount IMO. Spuhr if you're rich. NF if you can get one as cheap as Seekins.

Bubble levels aren't all that accurate. don't need it on your mount. you'll have to test your reticle to a plumb bob for accuracy anyway, just do the bubble level then.

PM me if you have ?s. I'm primarily a precision bolt action shooter.

Photo courtesy of Frank Galli

IMG_0002.JPG
    Last edited by voiceofreason; 02-01-20 at 09:24.

Feedback Score
    To piggy back the OP's question is there any benefit to using scope rings vs a one piece mount?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajb View Post
    To piggy back the OP's question is there any benefit to using scope rings vs a one piece mount?

Weight

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Weight
    Makes sense. Any issues with durability? I'd imagine a Scar or AR style rifle might take a few more bumps than a bolt action.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Makes sense. Any issues with durability? I'd imagine a Scar or AR style rifle might take a few more bumps than a bolt action.

Depends on the rings but you could say the same thing about the full mount. Any rings from a quality manufacturer (like Badger, Seekins, NF, Vortex pros) will be rock solid.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Just an opinion, but with quality rings, it won't matter for 98% of bolt guns and certainly not a SCAR. I'd go with Seekins rings personally if I didn't have a bunch of other stuff already.

But at the higher levels when you've squeezed every bit you can out of your skill and ammo, top shelf barrel... a solid unmount might make very tiny diff

A higher quality bipod (B&T Atlas SCAL is huge but the best suited for AR15/AR10 IMO- yes I have it already and yes I also own the standard CAL which is better for AR15 generally unless you want ultimate accuracy) and utilizing technique is worth a lot more than a single piece mount over quality 2 piece rings.

I've run the same rifle ammo and optic with Seekins rings and a NF unimount and Spuhr unimuount with no noticeable diff in accuracy at 100

If I ran top shelf everything else, I'd still have no problem with 2 piece rings from a quality vendor.

Ammo & barrel are the most important equipment factors

but they are far after the shooter's ability to shoot & ability to read wind/dope

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Depends on the rings but you could say the same thing about the full mount. Any rings from a quality manufacturer (like Badger, Seekins, NF, Vortex pros) will be rock solid.
    +1

you should be torquing your bolts and screws every 100 rds IMO

Screws come loose over time even with 6.5CM compared to the big boys

.223 & 5.56 don't loosen as much as 7.62/.308 IME

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies! I will look into Seekins rings that is what I was looking for! As far as the optic go if this Scar 20 doesnt perform as well as I hope it does whatever optic this is will end up on my Ruger Precision Rifle. Most of the reviews I have read by people that purchased the Scar 20 are claiming under 1MOA. Not sure if it will do that reliably or not. I just like autoloaders for some reason and I have a Scar 16 & 17. I have only shot one precision rifle match and figured out that my skills and glass need improvement, in that order with the first the most! Any other ideas on optics for what I am trying to do? I kinda want to buy once and cry once. I have a U.S Optics MR10 on my Scar 17 and like it. Not sure I want to spend $3500 on a B25. Thanks again for the info!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast