Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 43 felt recoil experiences ?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Glock 43 felt recoil experiences ?

I am debating purchasing a Glock 43.
    I have not fired one yet and renting one from any LGS would cost $60.00. (Their ammo, range, and rental)
    This is south Florida and it would be nice on occasion to wear a shirt that wasn’t big enough to conceal a Colt CCO or Glock 19.
    But, I am getting incredibly old and despite that continue with the martial arts which give my hands a beating. My worry is that I will not be able to get enough practice in to develop quality skills level with the 43.

So I guess my question is: exactly how nasty is the felt recoil on the 43. From what I have heard it is distinct. LAV’s review was not great, but he is one voice, worth listening to, but only one.
    I don’t want a .380. I know there are plenty of good choices, used to own Colt Pocketlites and found them excellent pistols.

What do you guys think about the 43?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Felt recoil is subjective. Everyone is going to fell it differently. Renting one for $60 is cheaper than buying one for $450ish and finding out you don't like it.

That being said it is noticeable. I would say it feels somewhere in between a duty size 9mm and 40sw. I didn't think it was bad but it is noticeable

Rent one! Don't look at it as wasting $60. Look at it as potentially saving you $390. If you end up liking it......well then that's the chance you take. Or see of someone will let you try theirs

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arik; 05-17-18 at 07:02.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Hmmm. To me the recoil impulse is shorter and stouter than my G19. Is it something that is uncomfortable to the point of saying forget this? Nope. About a month or so ago I put about 200 rounds down range with it and didn't think anything of it. It is what it is. My mother had a Colt Det Special as a bedside gun and the recoil on that is much greater than the G43. You wouldn't think a 38 Special would have more recoil, especially in a heavier gun, but it does. My mother confiscated my G43 and it is her bedside gun now.

Feedback Score
    As another poster said, felt recoil is subjective. I no longer shoot .44 magnum full house loads because they started to bother my wrist after a box or so.

However, I do own two Glock 43s. The G19s used to be my favorite Glock but they have been replaced by the G43s. I take one of my 43s to the range every single time regardless of what other guns I take. And I shoot it every single time. They are just a hoot to shoot. Some people call them "snappy" and that might be a reasonable term, but they are not the least bit uncomfortable. I've shot over 150 rounds in a range session several times without any problems at all.

I watched the LV video comparing the Shield to the G43. I had a Shield and it, along with the other M&P autoloaders I've owned, are pretty soft shooting handguns. And of course those M&Ps feel better in the hand with better ergonomics than any Glock. If I was worried about recoil I would buy the Shield, although I would never consider the recoil of a 43 as "nasty".

I'm not a Glock fan boy. They are just guns that have some good points and some serious warts to me. But, I do love my G43s. To me they are just fun to shoot and very easy to carry. Especially in warm weather clothing they are my favorite carry handgun.

OP, good luck with your choice.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helix12 View Post
    I take one of my 43s to the range every single time regardless of what other guns I take. And I shoot it every single time. They are just a hoot to shoot. Some people call them "snappy" and that might be a reasonable term, but they are not the least bit uncomfortable.
    I'm getting older and am at the point that after spending the day with my fingers wrapped around a hammer, shovel, rake, lawn mower handle, etc., they are stiff the next morning.

That being said, I'm in total agreement with Helix12, about the 43, it is a hoot. I really don't know why but I just enjoy shooting the G43 and my Ruger LCP - just because. I have an old Ruger MkI that I put in the same category. I do put a lot of rounds down the G43 practicing for GSSF, two hundred a session is not unusual.

I also have a 9mm Shield and it is a softer shooting pistol than the G43. My preference for the G43 is largely due to the flatter front trigger guard on the 43. It better suits the way I grip pistols.

I consider both the Shield and the 43 to be essentially the same size. Unless there is some reason for staying away from the Shield, I'd suggest trying both.

Hope this helps.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I'm getting older and am at the point that after spending the day with my fingers wrapped around a hammer, shovel, rake, lawn mower handle, etc., they are stiff the next morning.

That being said, I'm in total agreement with Helix12, about the 43, it is a hoot. I really don't know why but I just enjoy shooting the G43 and my Ruger LCP - just because. I have an old Ruger MkI that I put in the same category. I do put a lot of rounds down the G43 practicing for GSSF, two hundred a session is not unusual.

I also have a 9mm Shield and it is a softer shooting pistol than the G43. My preference for the G43 is largely due to the flatter front trigger guard on the 43. It better suits the way I grip pistols.

I consider both the Shield and the 43 to be essentially the same size. Unless there is some reason for staying away from the Shield, I'd suggest trying both.

Hope this helps.
    The shield is softer..... slightly. I ended up selling mine on Monday. I like the grip better but the glock is just a more accurate gun for me

Feedback Score
    It’s slightly sharper but nothing uncontrollably bad, carry mine with 124 +p gold dots

Use a TTI +1 baseplate for a better grip

If you find recoil to be sharp I believe Hornady makes low recoil carry ammo although I’d imagine effectiveness may suffer a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    The shield is softer..... slightly. I ended up selling mine on Monday. I like the grip better but the glock is just a more accurate gun for me

I agree I have a 43 and my daughter has a Shield. The Shield handles more like a full-size pistol so the recoil feels less to me, but the 43's dual recoil guide rod does a fine job at managing the recoil and I was blown away at how accurate the 43 is.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Something that may mitigate some felt recoil on the 43 is the Hogue beavertail grip sleeve.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Damn_yankee View Post
    Something that may mitigate some felt recoil on the 43 is the Hogue beavertail grip sleeve.
    Do you have any issues with it sliding? I have the none beavertail version on mine and after awhile it starts to slide down on the grip

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast