Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Build Me An AR Boys!

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    RTT,
    He did say he just wanted to drop an upper on a lower.

EDIT:
    Actually, you’re right. That’s not what he said. That’s what I inferred.

In that case, I stand by the 6960 and MARS recommendation, as well as pointing out that you will almost certainly spend more money building out a rifle completely yourself,especially once tools are considered. But, I can throw some other cool options out there.

Barrel
    Ballistic Advantage 11.3” .625 Hanson profile barrel
    They also make a 12.3” Hanson profile barrel, which brings an advantage in velocity.
    RTT provides the best vendors; I use ArmorAlly.

HOWEVER, site sponsor Black River Tactical has the coolest barrel options on the planet right now. Go check them out. Last I checked, they had light barrels in about as short a length as you could possibly want, while also optimizing the gas system length and port size. Cool stuff. Go there.

Receivers
    Easy Button for upper/lower receivers:
    Aero Precision M4E1 receiver set, OR regular lower with slick side upper

Better/different:
    BCM blemished upper receivers are the Best Buy, but only if trying to wring out the last bit of accuracy on a nice barrel.
    LMT MARS-L or ADM UIC for the lower.

Handguard
    Depending on barrel length and budget, either ALG EMR V2 or Centurion CMR handguard. RTT points out the LaRue handguards, but I’m guessing those are substantially heavier. But solid and an outstanding buy.

Furniture
    SBA3 pistol brace if going with short barrel
    Magpul SL-S stock (good cheek weld) if longer barrel or not afraid to SBR
    Magpul K2 grip (best angle overall for me)
    Keep in mind that if using for high volume shooting, the metal handguard will get hot. I use both Centurion and Magpul rail covers. ERGO also look good. Just something to think about/plan for.

Bolt Carrier Group
    SIONICS NP3 BCG or SOLGW or Centurion or Colt or...Toolcraft, but I have reserved Toolcraft for backups of late. Not because I lack faith, but because I have more faith in the other companies’ concern for their brand. They likely hold to a higher standard.

Other stuff
    VLTOR Vulcan A5 receiver extension, A5H2 buffer, whatever brand rifle spring

BCM QD end plate
    OR, I have thought about using the PWS ratchet end plate system should I actually build another lower.

Surefire Warcomp, or A2 to keep to budget or weight goals

SOLGW Blaster lower parts kit (or SIONICS)

Troy ambi mag release

Radian Talon ambi safety (read about concerns with the BAD-ASS over the past couple years, not personal experience)

Radian Raptor or Raptor LT charging handle (sometimes available within less than $10 of each other, in which case I do go aluminum over polymer.

Trigger
    As RTT said... LaRue MBT-2S or -1S is the easy button. I also like the Hiperfire Heavy Gunner. I do think that if budget isn’t a concern, the Geissele SSA is slightly “more better” than the LaRue.

Sights
    If irons or red dot, Daniel Defense fixed iron sights, front and rear. Simple, do the job.

If variable optic, Magpul PRO BUIS.

Sling
    Blue Force Gear VCAS, padded VCAS, or “ONE” sling, depending on the overall weight of the rifle).

Light
    All depends on how much you want to spend... I have a Surefire M600DF with Cloud Defensive tape switch mount on my go to HD gun. I have Inforce WML or WMLx on the others. For both, I use Magpul’s aluminum offset mount. However, I want to try out the Proctor mount. Arisaka, Gear Sector, IWC, they’re all fine.

Ultimately, I think it’s just a matter of whether you want to tinker or you want to shoot.
    If you just want something cool and different to shoot, build out a stripped MARS-L lower (ADM also has a decent, cheaper ambidextrous lower) with whatever parts suit your fancy. Or buy complete.
    For the upper, unless you very specifically want a specific shorter barrel or want to tinker, it isn’t worth building the upper yourself. It just isn’t. The prices are too good right now from multiple good companies. Even Black River Tactical can build out a complete upper for you with one of their cool barrels. Or buy the parts and send to Citizen Arms to have him accurize as he assembles for you.
    Last edited by JediGuy; 09-21-19 at 23:25.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    I paid either $491 shipped from Brownells for that exact upper, then added in my Sionics NP3 BCG once I realized that it felt “perfect.” I find it the ideal balance. It has a slightly lighter profile, though not pencil like the 6720 (also a fine option, as you can get the “6720CK-NHG” and add a free float handguard for fairly cheap...but why, when the 6960 is already better?). It has a free-floated tube from a respected company. It cycles fine with an A5H2 buffer. It’s actually lighter than my BCM 12.5” Kino with an MI drop in MLOK handguard the way they are set up.
    I personally have the exact setup I suggested earlier, with the MARS-L lower (purchased stripped, personally, but would have purchased assembled if I weren’t a cheapskate). I put on a PST 1-6x optic, but reverted to a PST 1-4x to keep the light weight. Considering going back to a RDS, but... The LPVO adds some versatility, and I really want to get in the practice with it. I like this gun enough that I listed the 6920-OEM2 that I got recently for sale locally. There is nothing IMO that the 6920 can do that the 6960 cannot do at least equally well at a lighter weight, smoother recoil impulse (technically, I certainly am not good enough to honestly tell the difference between midlength and carbine gas), and an excellent OEM free-floated handguard. It’s a no-brainer for me.
    The SBR has house/car duty, if ever needed (Aimpoint, Surefire, SSA). The MARS 6960 would do anything else, particularly as I live next to a non-free state where the good training ranges are. I actually just picked up another SSA to replace the G2S I’ve had in the MARS; the G2S was noticeably not as nice as the SSA, to my disappointment.

Not trying to convince you, just sharing my thoughts on it. Regarding Colt’s current events... I don’t expect it to need servicing; that’s supposed to be the draw of a Colt, I believe. If it does have problems, I do have another AR if I had to wait for Colt to repair. The pricing on these uppers is probably fair at full price, though far more than I would be willing to pay. Hence my sharing the one on the EE.
    Colt CCU 6960 upper, $724.99 on Brownells right now:

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rod120469.aspx
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Build Me An AR Boys!

Quote Originally Posted by Walker_Texasranger View Post
    I would think an A5 on a 14.5 middie would be really sensitive. Maybe not with that H0 buffer though. 14.5 middies are already usually pretty undergassed, although I think BCM opened up the gas ports when people were complaining trying to run Wolf ammo and stuff.

What muzzle device are you going with? I’ve been looking at that upper too but none of the options are super appealing to me. Maybe the Warcomp.
    I’ve been running BCM middys with A5-3s and Springco Greens for a few years now, as well as an older Noveske mid and currently a KAC 14.5. None have ever had an issue due to the buffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Yes, it’s not on sale at the moment, and a little concerned that the current environment may preclude more being made. But they were $475 on sale with free shipping at Brownells two weeks ago. I’m optimistic that will return.
    At that price, though, it’s a little more than comparable assembled uppers from BCM.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Yes, it’s not on sale at the moment, and a little concerned that the current environment may preclude more being made. But they were $475 on sale with free shipping at Brownells two weeks ago. I’m optimistic that will return.
    At that price, though, it’s a little more than comparable assembled uppers from BCM.
    Hence my prior point. I'm seeing high prices on searches for Colt uppers and due to their situation, I don't see them coming down, so they may not be great choice currently.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Colt CCU 6960 upper, $724.99 on Brownells right now:

$599.99 now. Maybe they heard you?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sig1473 View Post
    I see same price when I hit that link of $724.99 so i don't know what voodoo they're doing over there. Hmmm
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    Perhaps, I am displaying indolence or lack of mechanical acumen, most likely both. I would just purchase an off the shelf DD, Rainier, BCM, your flavor of choice, and optic of choice and move on. Quick easy, and ready to go.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Centurion 16” barrel with low profile gas block, Geissele mk16 rail, LMT e-carrier, LMT standard bolt, whatever charging handle you like.

Or, as others have said buy a complete KAC mod2. Or buy a complete LMT MRP mlok Mars-L.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 09-22-19 at 23:51.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Will,

We'd be more than happy to put together an OPTIMUM upper for you.

The 16" MPR medium profile barrel with pinned gas block should work nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Or ladies... "building" an AR for me is mating a finished upper with a finished lower, so AR builder I'm not. The AR I want to have built would be general purpose for all things SD/HD/SHTF. It would be as short as legally possible (14.5" ?) but not an SBR. Accuracy "good enough for gubment work" and reliability and robust build the focus. It would be my primary AR, and my Colt 6490 the backup* and budget 1k-$1200 without optics.

Assuming that's enough info to go on, give me a list of what you'd build? It can be down to every part, or "buy X upper and mate with Y lower and be done" I don't care. I'm assuming that's enough $ to get a quality rifle built for that purpose.

What you got?

* What I was able to get in the People's Republic of MA that met the recs that was on hand at the shop during a trade in. I have no complaints, but also recognize it's limitations. Now in FL, I can get more or less what ever I want.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast