Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Bolt action "trunk gun" (practical rifle) project

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brickboy240 View Post
    Yep...I have been eying the Boyds laminated stock. It is cheap and allows me more money to spend on refinishing and cutting the barrel down to 18 inches.

Will probably swap out Dad's old K-4 for a more modern and versatile scope as well.

How is the recoil on an 18" 30-06? Stout?

-brickboy240
    Not too bad. Alot of it comes down to stock design and a decent recoil pad.

Feedback Score
    The Boyds stock with a Pachmayer Decelerator pad ought to tame factory 150gr 30-06 out of the shorter barrel pretty well.

You are right about what it has in shooting comfort being eclipsed by the handiness of an 18" barrel. The slick-ness and reliability of the 03 Springer action will be another big plus.

At least the 03 is all steel and not full of MIM, cast crap or alloy/plastic parts.

I have been looking for something to do with this pawn shop rescue rifle (that I paid 200 bucks for) and this might be it. The thing has no collector value but is a quality base for a project gun.

-brickboy240

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Ruger America

Has anyone had an opportunity to try out or read reviews of the Ruger America? It looks good on paper, needs sights and maybe a couple inches lopped off, but scope ready for about $330.

http://ruger.com/products/americanRifle/features.html
    "We prepare, so we don't end up at the superdome"- unknown

"IMHO, if you wanted to shoot crap ammo, you should have bought a crap upper. It makes baby Jesus cry when he sees crap ammo put through a nice upper."- C4IGrant

Feedback Score
    The Savage Apex is also do-able at about 269 bucks and comes in 30-06. No sights but has a detachable mag.

I am considering one in 223 as a knock about ranch rifle.

-brickboy240

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

This started out Life as a Marlin 30-30 SC. It took a hell of a tumble off a horse and down a canyon.
    Cut the stock down, took the barrel down and recrowned it. Little deck tape and some truck bed liner and there you go.
    Served me well for a short while and I gave it to my Mom to keep for protection.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Anyone tried the Savage Hog Hunter yet? I was thinking about the Savage Scout but like the threaded bbl on the Hog Hunter and want a traditionally mounted scope, I don't think I can do that with out removing the rear peep on the scout. Can I?
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    Anyone tried the Savage Hog Hunter yet? I was thinking about the Savage Scout but like the threaded bbl on the Hog Hunter and want a traditionally mounted scope, I don't think I can do that with out removing the rear peep on the scout. Can I?
    I tried using a Larue SPR mount backwards on a GSR but couldn't quite get it back far enough. Don't know if it would work for you on the Savage.

XS did the rail with a sight on it, so that solved the problem on the GSR. I wish they made the same rail for other guns. It wouldn't have to go forward of the receiver. I bet most of the guys buying the XS GSR rail aren't using it for a Scout setup.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake'sDad View Post
    I tried using a Larue SPR mount backwards on a GSR but couldn't quite get it back far enough. Don't know if it would work for you on the Savage.

XS did the rail with a sight on it, so that solved the problem on the GSR. I wish they made the same rail for other guns. It wouldn't have to go forward of the receiver. I bet most of the guys buying the XS GSR rail aren't using it for a Scout setup.
    Thanks
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    I'm picking one up off layaway this weekend. I've seen a fellow at the range with one where he swapped out the stock to another synthetic option that allowed it to use the Savage detachable mags. Can't recall what stock it was though. Not high end IIRC.

The iron sights and stout barrel attracted me to this model. Its still fairly light/handy. A couple friends have Rem Mountain Rifles; 270 and 7mm-08 and I've never seen either one manage a 2" group of 5 at 100 yds (per the OP standard) even though they seem to wait long enough for some barrel cooling. I don't have a lot of bolt gun experience but that has made me leery of pencil barrels in that level of caliber.
    Last edited by JHC; 04-04-13 at 07:54.
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I'm picking one up off layaway this weekend. I've seen a fellow at the range with one where he swapped out the stock to another synthetic option that allowed it to use the Savage detachable mags. Can't recall what stock it was though. Not high end IIRC.

The iron sights and stout barrel attracted me to this model. Its still fairly light/handy. A couple friends have Rem Mountain Rifles; 270 and 7mm-08 and I've never seen either one manage a 2" group of 5 at 100 yds (per the OP standard) even though they seem to wait long enough for some barrel cooling. I don't have a lot of bolt gun experience but that has made me leery of pencil barrels in that level of caliber.
    Great to hear. I hope you share some photos when you get your gun. I'd be interested in the different stock, anyone know what it is?

Thanks.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast